Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta 1

Good lord, you can plug a hair dryer into that thing.
Well, a hair dryer or something more useful for us: a guitar cab.
If that load doesn't cause issues to the axe fx circuits or power supply we could use headphone out as a small practice power amp :sweatsmile:

@FractalAudio I'm preparing to make the measurement of my cab's impedance curve with REW and I was doing some tests.
I measured the maximum output voltage of the headphones out on the axe to see what levels I should expect during the measurement.

To do that I created a patch with a synth block generating a steady 1khz sine wave and connected it straight to out1, then I set the level 0.1dB before clipping with the out 1 knob turned fully clockwise.

I read almost 10 Vrms on the multimeter!!
That means that with a 4 ohm load I should get 25W (?!?) of power per channel!

But now I wonder if the headphone out can support such a draw of current (2.5A) or do I risk damaging something in the circuit?
IOW, can the headphone out support 4 ohm loads?

FWIW I measured around 2V on my roland audio interface.
It won't be able to drive a 4 ohm load at that voltage. Into a 4 ohm load the maximum voltage is about 1Vrms. You won't damage anything but it will distort and corrupt the measurement.

It won't be able to drive a 4 ohm load at that voltage. Into a 4 ohm load the maximum voltage is about 1Vrms. You won't damage anything but it will distort and corrupt the measurement.
Oh ok.. so I should basically stay below 1V (measured without load) to avoid distortion?

I‘m curious what the old pre-11 curve was. I haven’t gotten to the Friedmans yet and LOVE those cabs in the Fractal.
I looked at them occasionally in the past, and the old 'default curve' varied from amp to amp. I assume a curve resembling the speaker normally used with the amp was dialled up and stored with the amp at the factory.

I went through my gigging presets yesterday evening (20 or so) update set to yes. I found my Marshall patches improved with no changes, as well as Fenders, AC30 not so much, however rather quickly I realized I was able to remove the cuts in the cab block (I had already taken the hi pass to 20hz with 10.02)and bumped the low pass to 20k) and simplified the cab selections to pretty much a 57 and 121, or 313, everything sounded even better and all the AC30 needed was a smidge of Bass and Hi Cut adjustment. Some of the Marshalls benefitted from changing to a different curve, (I'm liking the Checker) some stayed on default. We'll find out this weekend how they work with the Band, but so far by just forgetting about variations I had to make in tweaks to get what I would with the real amp, and setting the basic controls as I would with the real amp got me what I've been looking for.
So far, I'm extremely happy with fw11! I didn't have one preset that I felt wasn't improved with what I felt I'd been missing. Cranked up my CLR behind me closed my eyes and felt like there was a real cab back there. Myself, as well as many other users have requested in the past accurate curves for Cab resonance frequencies. This addition of Impedance curve gets it there! Really make my fingers feel like they're connecting with the amp!
I think the key is, start with a fresh perspective and forget the stuff trapped in your head you wind up chasing that sort of leaves us with a lot of similarities in all our presets. It's gotten more realer! 😃

My experience too - the Marshall, Friedman and Fender sounds are unbelievably better, honestly - I can play almost everything just with the 1970 Plexi, it's sublime.

Vox took a bit of work - but much, much 'realer' now - Cliff, thank you

I updated and spent a few hours with the new firmware last night. Loving this new feature! The audible difference is pretty clear. Thanks to this forum and Leon's video, it was very simple to work with and quite a bit of fun. It seemed that the default curve sounded pretty great on nearly every setting, however, I was surprised at how many of them that I changed to a different curve that sounded better to me. I love that flexibility and I think it is excellent for those of us newer to the III to have a solid default to start with on each preset. I did a full backup prior to doing the update but I don't see myself going back to the older preset versions at this point. Thanks FAS for the great updates!

Reactions: jon
I went through my gigging presets yesterday evening (20 or so) update set to yes. I found my Marshall patches improved with no changes, as well as Fenders, AC30 not so much, however rather quickly I realized I was able to remove the cuts in the cab block (I had already taken the hi pass to 20hz with 10.02)and bumped the low pass to 20k) and simplified the cab selections to pretty much a 57 and 121, or 313, everything sounded even better and all the AC30 needed was a smidge of Bass and Hi Cut adjustment. Some of the Marshalls benefitted from changing to a different curve, (I'm liking the Checker) some stayed on default. We'll find out this weekend how they work with the Band, but so far by just forgetting about variations I had to make in tweaks to get what I would with the real amp, and setting the basic controls as I would with the real amp got me what I've been looking for.
So far, I'm extremely happy with fw11! I didn't have one preset that I felt wasn't improved with what I felt I'd been missing. Cranked up my CLR behind me closed my eyes and felt like there was a real cab back there. Myself, as well as many other users have requested in the past accurate curves for Cab resonance frequencies. This addition of Impedance curve gets it there! Really make my fingers feel like they're connecting with the amp!
I think the key is, start with a fresh perspective and forget the stuff trapped in your head you wind up chasing that sort of leaves us with a lot of similarities in all our presets. It's gotten more realer! 😃
This was my experience too - I really felt like there was a cab right beside me!

The amp purists and 'amp in the room' guys are gonna feel sick with this one! Cuz there ain't nothing left to complain about ;)

Tell Mayer when he's selling his dumble to buy his backup iii to check Cliff first to model it!

I can see it in the list now.... 'ODS Mayor'

To be clear (and I have been following these threads)....really I have been....

I have the new "Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to YES.
Load preset. I see edit light on. Play...wow, cool sounds good.
If I don't SAVE the preset...but go to global, set the "Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to NO, and then reload the preset, what am I hearing? The version that was org. in firmware 10, or the new?

TL;DR - if I don't save the presets under 11 beta 1, are they preserved?

To be clear (and I have been following these threads)....really I have been....

I have the new "Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to YES.
Load preset. I see edit light on. Play...wow, cool sounds good.
If I don't SAVE the preset...but go to global, set the "Update Pre-11.x Presets Spkr Imp Upon Load" to NO, and then reload the preset, what am I hearing? The version that was org. in firmware 10, or the new?

TL;DR - if I don't save the presets under 11 beta 1, are they preserved?
The 10.x version. If you don't save the preset it isn't saved.

The 10.x version. If you don't save the preset it isn't saved.

That's actually cool - so can I please check, that this means:

1. I'm running 11.0 Beta 0 (not this one)
2. I select some curves I like and I'm happy with some of my presets
3. I update the firmware and have this global set to yes
4. I open one of the presets I've not updated, this will overwrite to the default value and I can tweak/save it
5. If I open one of the presets I have updated, this will be overwritten - but I can revert the preset, and then make a small 'other' tweak (Say to a level) and save the preset
6. If I subsequently re-open any preset saved in step 4 or 5 - the curve will not be updated - because I've saved the preset in this version.

If all of the above are correct - this is awesome! Anyone able to confirm?

That's actually cool - so can I please check, that this means:

1. I'm running 11.0 Beta 0 (not this one)
2. I select some curves I like and I'm happy with some of my presets
3. I update the firmware and have this global set to yes
4. I open one of the presets I've not updated, this will overwrite to the default value and I can tweak/save it
5. If I open one of the presets I have updated, this will be overwritten - but I can revert the preset, and then make a small 'other' tweak (Say to a level) and save the preset
6. If I subsequently re-open any preset saved in step 4 or 5 - the curve will not be updated - because I've saved the preset in this version.

If all of the above are correct - this is awesome! Anyone able to confirm?
You have to save it in this version and it won't update the curve again when opening the preset

Did you guys notice there are more choices now vs the previous beta ? I think there was a 4x12 Solo and 2 different load box choices.

The Solo/Loadbox(s) are currently my favorites. Though I’d love an Engl or a Friedman in there.

Last edited:
To clarify:

Release notes are part of the beta. They are a draft of the final release notes. They always relate to previous "final" firmware versions and should be read as such. It would be confusing for endusers who never install betas to provide beta-specific notes.
Also, the ideal beta approach is to restore the previous (final) firmware and presets before installing the next beta version.
How would anyone who is NOT on the beta team know that? This is an unusual situation & the first firmware I can remember (beta or not) since my beginning with Fractal on v1.x of the Axe II that alters a preset & creates an edited, unsaved preset. It would not have been that difficult to say that any preset saved in a version prior to 11 beta 1 will be altered, would it?

Vox took a bit of work - but much, much 'realer' now

Vox doesn't use negative feedback, it's one of the only other amps that doesn't apart from the rectifier modern modes...the speaker impedance has a huge effect on those amps because there's no negative feedback to smooth the output EQ...no negative feedback is also why they're so punchy too...

how do those LB-2 curves sound?

edit...i t r e s o n a t e s...i never heard a piece of solid state gear hum like that! just using the LB-2 US...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom