Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.00 Public Beta

I’m just the opposite. I’ve used an iPhone since the iPhone 3. My work phone is an android and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.

I may have to try that with my work phone. I absolutely despise the iPhone keyboard after using Androids all of these years. The iPhone seems to be the poster child for inefficiency in that particular area. Only thing I really like better is the facial recognition feature. They did that right and Samsung really dropped the ball in that.
Yup. Keyboard-related stuff just takes more strokes/more effort/more manual precision on Apple than on Android. Having used both side-by-side on a daily basis for the last six years, I can confidently say that Apple has some catching up to do.

Last edited:
Oh obviously...the blue trace explains it all for me! o_O
Thanks for the update Cliff.
Pauly

An explicit solution is one where the output does not depend on itself, i.e.
V = f(Vin)

An iterative implicit solution is where you have to iterate an equation to get the result. For example consider a hypothetical component where the current is a function of the voltage. I.e.
I = f(V)

In a series circuit with a resistor the voltage across the device would be
V = Vin - I*R = Vin - f(V)*R

Let's say the function is I = V^2

So then
V = Vin - V^2 * R

V is on both sides of the equation. One way to solve this is using Newton's method (x = x - f(x)/f'(x)). But that takes a lot of time because you have to keep iterating until the error is below some desired value. You also have to use the derivative which adds computations. The other problem is stability/convergence. Sometimes the solution "blows up" and doesn't converge. This is unacceptable in a real-time system.

A resistor in series with a diode results in an equation with an exponential (or log) function that needs to be solved along with its derivative.

Now when you add a capacitor in parallel with the diode you complicate things even further because now you have a nonlinear ordinary differential equation (ODE). So the current is not only a function of the voltage, the voltage has "memory" due to the capacitor. Solving these types of networks is extremely time consuming. Things like SPICE use implicit solutions like Runge-Kutta 4 (RK4).

I've been working on this for a while and came up with a semi-explicit solution that doesn't require iteration, has the accuracy of implicit solutions and is nearly as fast as explicit solutions.

This is a graph of a 1K resistor in series with a diode. The blue trace is the reference and was derived by solving the network using Newton's method. The red trace is the semi-explicit solution. If you can't see the blue trace that's because the red trace is nearly exactly on top of it.

View attachment 71052

On the Axe-Fx III solving the network using Newton's method uses over 30% CPU. The semi-explicit method is around 6%.

I’m just the opposite. I’ve used an iPhone since the iPhone 3. My work phone is an android and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.
People tell me they love Siri, but I couldn't resist the temptation to ask a lot of really ridiculous stuff. She would probably uninstall herself within a week.

I know a lot of people who love iPhones, but there are two huge issues I have with my work phone.
1. They horrible keyboard.
2. My bluetooth earpiece works fine if the voice activated answering actually picks up when I tell it to. Most of the time it doesn't work, so I havr to pick up the phone to answer. When I do that, the iPhone seems to assume that I want to use the phone without the earpiece and I have to hit three more virtual buttons in order to get it to the bluetooth again. My old Samsung didn't do that, and actually worked in a way that makes sense.
3. Did I mention the keyboard sucks?

I knew you were. Made me laugh when I saw how I typed it too. Lol

I may have to try that with my work phone. I absolutely despise the iPhone keyboard after using Androids all of these years. The iPhone seems to be the poster child for inefficiency in that particular area. Only thing I really like better is the facial recognition feature. They did that right and Samsung really dropped the ball in that.
I'm using Gboard... I was using Swype but I believe they stopped supporting it or it stopped working correctly.

I'm using Gboard... I was using Swype but I believe they stopped supporting it or it stopped working correctly.
I have GBoard, but have used it in the same manner as I use my Samsung keyboard. I may have to try to set it to the other method for swiping. Hard to change habits when you are relatively proficient in the methods you are used to. (Minus the thumb typos. LOL}

Here are some of my thoughts after playing with the FW13b:
  • I'm very glad to have the Low Cut represented by a Frequency again. I can already hear Cliff saying "you could've just used your ears instead of your eyes," but it always bothered me that Low Cut was a number on a dial and High Cut was a frequency. I also prefer the frequency representation because it tells me more about what I'm doing, rather than just what I'm hearing. Again, I really appreciate this return.
  • I've only played through the new FW with my Majesty, but I'm really excited to try the Bass Response feature with my Cutlass. It really beefs up the tone in a way that could (pleasantly) counteract some of the low-end rolloff when using a TS-style pedal and a guitar with single coils.
  • I feel that the drive pedals have a better range of gain now. That's to say, when using an overdrive as a boost (which is 80% of my time with an OD block), I notice more of a difference between 5 and 10. The result seems a bit drier as well? That could just be my head. Regardless, I like the sound.
  • The Box O' Crunch is my new favorite distortion pedal in the box. This is a must-try for anyone who's needed "just one more amp." It turns a really clean amp into a roaring one beautifully. I prefer this to the Riot for such applications. A really great pedal.
  • The Precision Drive is a surprising addition, but one that I think exemplifies Fractal's drive (pun intended) to deliver on (reasonable) requests and continue to expand what the Axe offers. I wasn't waiting for this pedal, and I vaguely recall it being sort of waved off in a Wishlist thread as "probably a slightly tweaked TS" or something to that effect. But it was requested, and it was delivered. Just as so many other features have been. That's excellent support.

Back to playing :)

Last edited:
New firmware and Cliff is dropping non iterative solutions to nonlinear ODE's - both sides of my brain are very happy right now. Looking forward to checking this out.

I'd totally take an "Applied Mathematics for Electric Guitar" course if Cliff was teaching it too.

New firmware and Cliff is dropping non iterative solutions to nonlinear ODE's - both sides of my brain are very happy right now. Looking forward to checking this out.

I'd totally take an "Applied Mathematics for Electric Guitar" course if Cliff was teaching it too.

there is a book called “Electronics for Guitarists” that’s quite interesting.

I was just learning to dial in tones by using gain and boost instead of a drive pedal! Time to start over, maybe with a new amp.

Regarding that previous post about an expensive drive modeler - I think I’m going to run IN3/OUT3 separately through our other guitarists HX Stomp fx loop and replace his drive block!! 😜

also, thank you very, very much for the precision drive. I can’t wait to see how misha gets on with it.

I’ll now show myself out and leave the “wanted: Juliette Daisy Drive” joke for someone else. :::ducks:::

Meanwhile downstairs in my my remedial class. "I brought this neat picture of a I-V diode curve"
5175b518ce395f2d49000000.png

Back
Top Bottom