Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

Quick question, maybe answered as well but overseen: does the new factory preset come with same amount of presets as previous ones or may it overwrite existing custom presets?

Quick question, maybe answered as well but overseen: does the new factory preset come with same amount of presets as previous ones or may it overwrite existing custom presets?
If you bring them in in bulk they would overwrite what ever is in those slots. If you have made modifications they would be lost. Best to make a backup first.

The factory presets come in three banks. If you load all of the presets, they will overwrite three banks. You can load individual presets if you want to, in any slot you like.

FINALLY got a chance to load up this FW last night and WOW!!!! It sounds really REALLY good!! I got memories of old band days with the way things sounded, exceptional work!!! 👏

The top end is indeed smoother and MUCH more pleasant, and amps I've NEVER been able to get along with, I've found to be a ton of fun to play!

Leon said this FW is 'silky', which I get, but i would argue that it's 'chewy' - I feel like I'm sinking my teeth into a succulent amp model every time!

I've also noticed the bottom end on pretty much all amps as well seems less 'flubby' and more round and tight, which I LOVE! Not sure if it's just my ears playing tricks on me because the top end is so smooth now, but the overall effect seems to be much smoother transient behavior on the high and low end

I've noticed also that the amps with high amounts of blocking distortion I now no longer gravitate toward in this FW as they seem more brittle than the models without any blocking distortion

All new amps get overhyped. One day it's the Archon which then fades into obscurity. The next day it's Bogner's latest amp named after an Egyptian/Roman/Norse/Himalayan god. Then it's the Death Reaper Satanic Neutron Blaster that is "so tight and brootal". And then everyone is back to the classics.

Right now it's the Revv Generator. In a month people will be bored with it.

My main Preset actually has two of the 4 scenes I use on it loaded up with different settings on the Soldano lead model!

Thanks to everyone for testing 'er out while I didn't have time to load up! Still backing up the 3 and
getting ready for 12.09 load!!! Can't wait! I'm doing this with a gig Friday night... LoL!!! Not the first
time, either. Hehehe... Thanks again, @FractalAudio

Anyone else having audio dropouts using the spdif out? after much cable checking, downgrading to 12.08 was the only fix I’ve found for it so far. Tried updating to 12.09 again, and the problem returned.

Anyone else having audio dropouts using the spdif out? after much cable checking, downgrading to 12.08 was the only fix I’ve found for it so far. Tried updating to 12.09 again, and the problem returned.

I use SPDIF exclusively and no dropouts with 12.09 here. Make sure the sample rate in your interface is set to 48 kHz. Also, check to ensure that the clock on both (Axe-FX and audio interface) isn't set to SPDIF.

Last edited:
So I had an amp noise problem already with Scene 3 in my main preset... unrelated to 12.09. I went to scene 1 and selected that amp channel on
one block, no noise. Copied the whole scene to Scene 3 and BAM! fixed!!! I had fought that and fought it and fought it with and without a looper
playing both picked riffs and chords. FINALLY!!! Soldano SLO 100 lead, but I'm not sure it wasn't there on the older versions of that preset before
I ever started using the SLO 100 on two scenes (lower and higher gain, etc.). The lower gain settings SLO scene 2 did not have the problem. Was not noise gate or anything... Bypassed everything to narrow it down to just one amp block and channel before discovering it was fine on another scene.

I felt like I wasn't retired from the power plant programming/tuning plant controls anymore... LoL!

I'm sure a corrupted scene has happened before, but it's not worth a search now! I got all the other blocks set and bypassed/enabled on Scene 3 and it was freaking BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.09 is seriously bad to the bone!!!!!!!! 🎸🤘:cool:🤘🎸

I use SPDIF exclusively and no dropouts with 12.09 here. Make sure the sample rate in your interface is set to 48 kHz. Also, check to ensure that the clock on both (Axe-FX and audio interface) isn't set to SPDIF.
Thanks, checked all of this, and the problem’s still here in .09, but not .08

Thanks, checked all of this, and the problem’s still here in .09, but not .08

If it were me, I'd try updating to 12.09 and connecting the Axe-FX via analog cables and see if the problem persists. If you don't have a problem when using analog cables, then I'd probably back up my system parameters in 12.08 using Fractal-Bot and update to 12.09, then reset the system parameters. To reset the parameters, select Setup from the front panel, then Utilities and finally, Reset System Parameters. If that doesn't work, you can always revert back to 12.08 and load the system parameters you saved from backup.

If it were me, I'd try updating to 12.09 and connecting the Axe-FX via analog cables and see if the problem persists. If you don't have a problem when using analog cables, then I'd probably back up my system parameters in 12.08 using Fractal-Bot and update to 12.09, then reset the system parameters. To reset the parameters, select Setup from the front panel, then Utilities and finally, Reset System Parameters. If that doesn't work, you can always revert back to 12.08 and load the system parameters you saved from backup.
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot

I'm not experiencing drop outs via SPDIF, but I do have occasional audio pops. Not present on analog outs. I know Cliff mentioned a known bug when running 2 amp presetsx, but I get it on single amp presets too.
Interface running at 48k and the clock source(s) are set correct. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Improved power tube modeling yields smoother overdrive especially for semi-clean and edge-of-distortion tones.

I haven't recorded w/ the pre 12.09 FW to compare, but my go-to patch is a simple combination of the Friedman HBE 2018 model with a pair of ENGL 4x12 V30 IRs (two mics). The bass knob on the amp was maxed out because I liked how it compressed the lower frequencies while driving the power amp harder. I also had the Master Volume pretty high to get some of that nice EL34 grind in my tone. All in all there's a lot of distortion happening and the difference in tone seems to be HUGE! :O I've lost some of that compressed high end, but there's more grit to the tone. There's a lot of bite, but also more string separation than before. Less smeared out, but definitely still really grindy. It does seem to sound a bit more noisy, as if the noise gate of the Input block needs to be set differently to work with the 'new' amp.

So far so good, great update :)

I never owned a tube amp and therefore I don't care, whether the models in the Axe III sound the same as the real amps. The crucial question for me is: Do I get sounds, which are inspiring me to play music? And the answer is: Yes! Yes! Yes!
And because there so many models, I can get different sounds with different guitars in different moods. And this is wonderful!
I'm very impressed and really grateful for the dedication of the FAS team to improve their products and respond to the requests of their customers. I can honestly say that I was absolutely content from the day of the purchase, so the further firmware updates are just adding more icing on the cake. And the last 2 updates are just amazing.
So thank you very much for all that work!

Is it just me, or do the factory presets sound a LOT better nowadays?
It’s been a while since I’ve played with them, but thought I’d have a little tickle with the latest update. Everything sounds clearer and more defined, if that makes sense.
Not that they’ve ever sounded remotely bad, but a big improvement to my ears over the fw 11 factory presets.

Is it just me, or do the factory presets sound a LOT better nowadays?
It’s been a while since I’ve played with them, but thought I’d have a little tickle with the latest update. Everything sounds clearer and more defined, if that makes sense.
Not that they’ve ever sounded remotely bad, but a big improvement to my ears over the fw 11 factory presets.
Its not you. There was a lot of criticism in the past, and it appears they invested more time on them, plus the subtle improvements in the software.

Back
Top Bottom