Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

Ok, it's this.. I have turned "out compression" a little up so it was more present.

Attachments

• Friedman BE V1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Friedman BE.syx
  • Friedman Friedman HBE V2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Friedman Friedman HBE.syx
I don't want to be "that guy" and if this was discussed in one of the 300+ posts in this thread i'm sorry i missed it, but is anybody getting a major amount of warbling still using virtual capo on cleans? I hear all the demos of the new pitch algorithm and they sound great, but whenever i load up virtual capo (or use any other pitch block) i get an almost tremolo style modulation that i don't hear in other demos. Tried different cables/guitars and it still happens. Distortion tends to mask it enough to where its a non-issue there, but as soon as its gone, i hear it, even when playing back a recording, so its not just hearing the strings acoustically. Everything else sounds great, and i especially love the new compressors. If its something i'm doing/not doing, I'd like to fix it. For the time being though, my POG and Whammy DT are staying until i get this sorted.

I hear this too - but, when looking at my guitars found that my intonation was way off - season changes really caused some havoc for me. I would check that out if you haven’t already. I really noticed it in headphones in cleans but loud through my cab the effect was less. Still need to get my guitars set up though.

Here is Cliff’s response: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/beta-4-vc-warble-on-clean-solved.161918/post-1939618

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for amazing information and updating my ignorance.

Nobody retires from passion/obsession. Everyone should get a "job" they don't want to retire from.
(Unless their brain melts (Malcolm Young))

So about continuity: How old is our mastermind Cliff? Got those Xbox gnomes trained up for ferocious headless coding already?

I hear this too - but, when looking at my guitars found that my intonation was way off

I imagine that intonation shouldn't matter for chromatic pitch shifting (including VC) at least on single notes (including bends etc). Intervals and chords may be different due to beating etc. I also imagine diatonic shifting would be more sensitive to intonation.

@FractalAudio: Cliff can you confirm (or correct) this interpretation?

Last edited:
As to not derail the other discussions, I just want to say a quick thanks to @yyz67 and @Brian Coonan for explaining that this behavior is to be expected given the nature of how the pitch shifting works. I missed those posts and its a very good informative read. Where I live, the seasons (thankfully) haven't really ruined my guitars' setups too much. If anything I'm a hair sharp or flat on some strings, but I also have a tendency to leave strings on for longer than recommended because I'm cheap but like NYXLs, so restringing costs a bit more with as many guitars as I've accumulated.

There are 128 presets per bank. It all depends if you start with Preset 0 or Preset 1 (I use 1). Bank A has Presets 1-128. B has 129-256. C has 257-384. D has 385-512. Therefore, preset 409 is in Bank D.
My custom presets are safe.
But it seems files uploaded included some duplicated presets.
For example, I am seeing 2 'Modern Eddie' and I don't see 'Uber' preset now.
Can someone advise me how I solve this?
Or is it supposed to be like this?
Duplicated.PNG

My custom presets are safe.
But it seems files uploaded included some duplicated presets.
For example, I am seeing 2 'Modern Eddie' and I don't see 'Uber' preset now.
Can someone advise me how I solve this?
Or is it supposed to be like this?
View attachment 68825

I have just double checked, there is only 1 Modern Eddie across all 3 banks, I suspect you might have accidentally imported one bank twice, or maybe you already had the original Modern Eddie preset saved in one of those slots before you imported the latest presets.

I have just double checked, there is only 1 Modern Eddie across all 3 banks, I suspect you might have accidentally imported one bank twice, or maybe you already had the original Modern Eddie preset saved in one of those slots before you imported the latest presets.
I also missed 'petrucci rig' which is one of my favorite preset.
I just unzip new presets files and sent them via fractal bot.
Maybe something wrong happened but I really wanna have the latest presets which were provided by Fractal.
Now what should I do?
Thanks a lot in advance.

I also missed 'petrucci rig' which is one of my favorite preset.
I just unzip new presets files and sent them via fractal bot.
Maybe something wrong happened but I really wanna have the latest presets which were provided by Fractal.
Now what should I do?
Thanks a lot in advance.
I know this has been mentioned many times. But I always install factory preset banks A, B and C into banks B, C and D, making bank A empty for me to put all my modified, downloaded and purchased presets, in the order I want. I never modify the factory presets, but use them as a template or copy amps, cabs, effects, etc., from them, and paste them into presets I am modifying.
Also always backup your modified, custom and/or personal presets before restoring. I have not watched what I was doing and accidentally copied factory bank A into bank A and overwrote my modified and custom presets. But I had a backup to fall back on.

I know this has been mentioned many times. But I always install factory preset banks A, B and C into banks B, C and D, making bank A empty for me to put all my modified, downloaded and purchased presets, in the order I want. I never modify the factory presets, but use them as a template or copy amps, cabs, effects, etc., from them, and paste them into presets I am modifying.
Also always backup your modified, custom and/or personal presets before restoring. I have not watched what I was doing and accidentally copied factory bank A into bank A and overwrote my modified and custom presets. But I had a backup to fall back on.
The way I am using factory presets are same as you.
Anyway when I uploaded new factory presets via fractal bot, I haven't selected the destination of the new factory files.
Maybe should I talk with fractal help desk to set all presets correctly?
I haven't overwritten my preset fortunately and I usually backup my preset.

The way I am using factory presets are same as you.
Anyway when I uploaded new factory presets via fractal bot, I haven't selected the destination of the new factory files.
Maybe should I talk with fractal help desk to set all presets correctly?
I haven't overwritten my preset fortunately and I usually backup my preset.
If that's the case then Fractal Bot should have copied the new presets to the proper A, B, C location. With me uploading presets A, B and C to location B, C and D, my Petrucci factory preset is at location 211.

OK I think I need to try uploading them via bot.
Can you please advise me how you decide the destination of new factory presets?
  1. Browse to the new factory "Bank A" .syx file
  2. Click "Begin" button to start the transfer
  3. In the warning dialog that comes up set the "Please select a file destination" to "Bank B (Presets 128-255)" (or whatever your preferred destination is)
  4. Click "Send"
  5. Repeat steps with Bank B and Bank C files, offsetting your destination bank letter choice each time as necessary.select_destination_screengrab.png

1. Browse to the new factory "Bank A" .syx file
  2. Click "Begin" button to start the transfer
  3. In the warning dialog that comes up set the "Please select a file destination" to "Bank B (Presets 128-255)" (or whatever your preferred destination is)
  4. Click "Send"
  5. Repeat steps with Bank B and Bank C files, offsetting your destination bank letter choice each time as necessary.View attachment 68840
I just noticed this destination function now.
Thanks a lot for your kind help also.

Same procedure here:
1-128=mystuff, factory A,B,C goes to B,C,D
👍👍

This question must pop up after every firmware, so sorry if it's been asked dozens of times before.
Isn't the modeling something like 99.69% (or more; pick your percentage) accurate already? Basically indistinguishable in a A\B blind test from the real tubes. And hasn't this been the case for years?
Then how can a single version update provide such drastic changes to the sound/feel, such as in the high end here?
Or is my assumption wrong; that we're nowhere near 100% yet?
The path to perfection is asymptotic.

Just a reminder that you don’t have to keep factory presets on your AxIII. I only have about 20 that I use in my A bank. I save my A for gig and recording presets, B, C and D for commercial and experimental presets. I download the latest presets on my computer hardrive but they’re always available on the website. Just makes life easier. If I need something from the factory presets I can easily find them and audition them through AxeEdit.

Just a reminder that you don’t have to keep factory presets on your AxIII. I only have about 20 that I use in my A bank. I save my A for gig and recording presets, B, C and D for commercial and experimental presets. I download the latest presets on my computer hardrive but they’re always available on the website. Just makes life easier. If I need something from the factory presets I can easily find them and audition them through AxeEdit.
I agree. Unless you really need them remotely, if you're using AxeEdit it's just as easy to load them from your hard drive as it is to load from the AxeIII.

Back
Top Bottom