Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
not yet , maybe they will come , Cliff did say they were very CPU intensive though , so that might cause a bump to the FM3
If gapless changes come to the FM3, the need for kitchen sink presets goes out the window, and with that I would get cpu headroom back. Bring on the CPU hungry!

And on that note, would love to be able to run more of my III presets on my FM3 for switching between live and studio contexts seamlessly. In particular I have wondered if the limit on number of multi-delay numbers is set in stone. UD Stomp recreations are somewhat thwarted by the single block limitation on the FM3.

As I'm sure many of us do, I don't see the FM3 as the "budget model," but rather a highly desirable form factor for contexts where larger footprint isn't an option. If an additional multi-delay block isn't possible at all with the original hardware, I do hope an additional multi-delay block will be considered in future hardware. Thanks!

If gapless changes come to the FM3, the need for kitchen sink presets goes out the window, and with that I would get cpu headroom back. Bring on the CPU hungry!
i'll take less CPU for gapless any day!
As I'm sure many of us do, I don't see the FM3 as the "budget model"
heck no! like you i'm an AFIII owner, but there's no way i'm taking the flagship out to the dive places, bars, and/or clubs we play out here!
the FM3's form fits perfectly on to a PedalTrain Classic + and into a Nanuk 940 - along with a Fractal EV-2 (and an H90 :p), I'm done.

And on that note, would love to be able to run more of my III presets on my FM3 for switching between live and studio contexts seamlessly. In particular I have wondered if the limit on number of multi-delay numbers is set in stone. UD Stomp recreations are somewhat thwarted by the single block limitation on the FM3.

As I'm sure many of us do, I don't see the FM3 as the "budget model," but rather a highly desirable form factor for contexts where larger footprint isn't an option. If an additional multi-delay block isn't possible at all with the original hardware, I do hope an additional multi-delay block will be considered in future hardware. Thanks!
exactly , the if gapless works it will be the single biggest thing to happen to FM3 , because if you had amp cab spring reverb delay and it took 80% it does not matter just switch presets , for lead, it will solve so many things , 2 pitch blocks not needed

Last edited:
That explains it. I've not had this issue in the past but now I know. Thank you!

Been that way since the Axe II and possibly before. Presets are forwards compatible, not backwards. In other words, newer firmware can open older presets, but older firmware cannot open newer presets.

That's why it's important to always back everything up before you upgrade the firmware including your presets. If you ever need to go back, you'll need copies of your presets that are also compatible with the older firmware.

Been that way since the Axe II and possibly before. Presets are forwards compatible, not backwards. In other words, newer firmware can open older presets, but older firmware cannot open newer presets.

That's why it's important to always back everything up before you upgrade the firmware including your presets. If you ever need to go back, you'll need copies of your presets that are also compatible with the older firmware.
I definitely back up my presets before upgrading to new FW. I didn't do that once and had to rebuild a few presets. Thank you Mr. Fender!

Yeah, back up before upgrading, every time. Because if you don't, you'll need it, and you don't want to need it.

It took me forever to get sound from Output 2 (had to turn off "Copy Output One") and I just had run out of ideas and turned the knob...anyone know why this is?

It took me forever to get sound from Output 2 (had to turn off "Copy Output One")...
If your preset has an Output 2 block, it doesn't matter whether you have "Copy Output 1" set.

...and I just had run out of ideas and turned the knob...anyone know why this is?
I don't know what knob you turned or which way you turned it. For this and other reasons, I can't say why this is. Or even exactly what "this" is.

Around 9 years ago I asked for a reverb tank like this:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reverb-tank-in-front-of-the-amp.83913/
I knew if I stuck it out, Cliff would come through for me! Patience, grasshopper…
Back then I also asked for a dwell knob. Will we see that also?

Fractal Rocks!!
Maybe the "spring Drive" is the dwell knob?
I do wonder if Cliff @FractalAudio modelled a genuine 6g15 or a reissue.
The original used a 6K6 driver tube, the reissue a 6v6.
More info below.

http://wiki.surfguitar101.com/ReverbFaq

The reissue schematic:
https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Fender/Fender-63-Reverb-Schematic.pdf

The original schematic:
https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Fender/Fender-Reverb-6G15-Schematic.pdf

It took me forever to get sound from Output 2 (had to turn off "Copy Output One") and I just had run out of ideas and turned the knob...anyone know why this is?
You don't need to turn that off.

If you have an Output 2 block in your preset it overrides that. If not, then it copies.

If you want output from Output 2 (or any Output) you have to turn up the knob. That's how it works...

If your preset has an Output 2 block, it doesn't matter whether you have "Copy Output 1" set.

I don't know what knob you turned or which way you turned it. For this and other reasons, I can't say why this is. Or even exactly what "this" is.
When I installed Beta 2 I had no sound from my Output 2. Every preset I have has an Output one going to FRFR and Output 2 goes to monitors. When you went to the either Output on Edit the meters were moving but sound was only coming through One.

If you have an Output 2 block in your preset it overrides that. If not, then it copies.

If you want output from Output 2 (or any Output) you have to turn up the knob. That's how it works...

. I went through every possible reason and finally went to I/O, Output two configuration and turned "D" from Copy Output 1 "ON" (which it has been set at since I bought the machine, through every update) to Copy Output 1 "OFF"...suddenly sound through monitors.
THAT's how THAT worked...I went to back to Beta 1 it worked, 22.0 it worked, Beta 2 it only worked when I changed that setting. I looked for every possible reason, every menu, etc...Let's just assume that I can turn a damn knob.
I also had a preset that I made using the JS410 amps and after installing Beta2 and refreshing everything the Preset name was in the list but the actual preset was Empty.

Last edited:
When I installed Beta 2 I had no sound from my Output 2. Every preset I have has an Output one going to FRFR and Output 2 goes to monitors. When you went to the either Output on Edit the meters were moving but sound was only coming through One.
The only thing that comes after the output meters is analog stuff — including the output knob. At that point, the firmware is not involved, so the firmware couldn't have been the problem.

I went through every possible reason and finally went to I/O, Output two configuration and turned "D" from Copy Output 1 "ON" (which it has been set at since I bought the machine, through every update) to Copy Output 1 "OFF"...suddenly sound through monitors.
THAT's how THAT worked...I went to back to Beta 1 it worked, 22.0 it worked, Beta 2 it only worked when I changed that setting. I looked for every possible reason, every menu, etc...Let's just assume that I can turn a damn knob.
Yeah, but you said...

...I just had run out of ideas and turned the knob...
And turning the knob fixed it. :) You weren't turning down the knob after every attempt to fix it. It was already down when you turned it up.

No shame. Really. Everyone here has done the same thing, even though we all assumed that we could "turn a damn knob." :)

I like the new spring Reverbs - very tasteful.
Sadly they are all Mono. A long Time ago i had a AKG BX15 Spring Reverb, this could be used in 2Ch/Stereo and maybe its possible to turn e.g. the Studio Spring Type etc. in to a stereo algo, that would be very nice.
Also there is a Stereo Spread Parameter in the Reverb Block (also in the Spring Types) which is useless with a mono source.
So there would be a much greater benefit from a stereo Spring Reverb.
I would love this as well.

I like the new spring Reverbs - very tasteful.
Sadly they are all Mono. A long Time ago i had a AKG BX15 Spring Reverb, this could be used in 2Ch/Stereo and maybe its possible to turn e.g. the Studio Spring Type etc. in to a stereo algo, that would be very nice.
Also there is a Stereo Spread Parameter in the Reverb Block (also in the Spring Types) which is useless with a mono source.
So there would be a much greater benefit from a stereo Spring Reverb.
As someone who used stereo in and out reverbs in the studio, it would be great to not need in this unit to do a split path, pan 2 reverb blocks left and right, and make sure all the settings in each of the two blocks are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom