Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

The low and high frequencies that the transformer can't easily pass affect the impedance seen by the tubes, which is why they affect the curve shown, which is a composite of the impedances between the tubes and the speaker-to-air interface. The impedance curve affects frequency response in a way. :)
Joe is exactly right. The graph shown is the resulting response of the SIC plus the response of the transformer.

Joe is exactly right. The graph shown is the resulting response of the SIC plus the response of the transformer.
Does it change depending on tube type as well? I remember you saying some tubes (EL34s) have greater damping characteristics than say 6550’s and respond differently to SICs

More on the new Amp Channel switching:

I have been conflating some of my personal preset style with common usage, and that was totally wrong, so I'm reverting to my initial reaction, that what we have is functionally gapless, and you really don't need any crazy workarounds.

I had this nagging questioning in the back of my head, so I checked everything with fresh ears today, and I found that Cab Channel switching does not have any perceptible gap with Dyna Cabs, whether you change cab type or just mic type, it doesn't matter; it's functionally gapless, and Amp Channel switching is so fast I cannot imagine it ever mattering; it's faster than some real world amps, and fast enough for any section change in a song, or even in a logical break in a solo or something like that.

Here's where I was going wrong with my thinking: I like to create presets where different Scenes are the equivalent of rolling off my volume and tone knobs, just making subtle changes to the tone in the middle of play. I do that with PEQ blocks, Drives, or Amps, using Scene Controllers with Attack and Release set to 0 and Update Rate set to fast for the modifiers. And I'm so in my own head that I was carrying that one use case over to amp type switching, which is not what amp switching is ever for! So in any reasonable usage the Amp Channel switching that we have now is absolutely perfect.

I retested today with an eight amp preset and no Multiplexer, and I found no difference in the speed of switching amps than if you just use one Amp Block.

Drive Block Channels are just as fast as Cab Block Channels, to my ears, also perceptibly gapless.

Long Live Amp, Drive, and Cab Channels!

OMG , WOW, a lot of technical jargon about what is in the update and how things react in the amp and cab block. All I know is Cliff keeps making the AXE FX III more lifelike and real amp sounding at each update. For all of you deep divers go ahead and tweak and discuss to your hearts' content, but for me listening is the key and the new dyna cabs sound fantastic, and, in my perception, some airiness that make the Axe sound more realistic again. I didn't even move the mics and they sound great. Cliff, you hit this update and upgrade out of the park and sounds awesome. Keep adding more dyna cabs!!!

The DynaCabs use the existing SICs.
I’m not going to pretend to fully understand this, but aren’t the impedance responses a select group of cabs already? Do they match identically to the cabs modeled for these dyna cabs? My cursory understanding is the impedance response is attached to the cab itself and changes the tonality of the amp somewhat due to how the amp sees the cab. I might be 100% wrong, if so someone someone school me.

All Dyna-Cabs have corresponding impedance curves that were taken from the actual cabs.
So to clarify my (maybe incorrect) previous post, are they using the existing factory SICs or is that actually included within the Dyna-Cab data?

I seem to recall some SICs added during the beta which aligned with the Dyna-Cabs.

Close...

Speaker Impedance Curve
Thank you. Well FAS said they’re already baked into the dynacabs so I can go back to being a guitar player again and not an F16 pilot.

I always felt I was middle of the road on this stuff. I’m not a caveman but I’m not an amp builder either. No one knew what an SIC was back when. A cab either sounded “good” or “bad” with a particular amp. If it sounded “bad”, we’d just find one that sounded “good”. No one really knew why. I guess this is one of the thousands of reasons I’m probably better off not knowing anyway.

I’ll see myself out now.

Actually, he said "corresponding impedance curves", so depending on what you mean by "baked in" you may or may not have it right ;)

See my follow-up question above...
If you see smoke coming from the NYC metro area, it’s probably coming from in between my ears.

Wouldn’t each dynacab have a corresponding curve, and therefore it be baked in? They didn’t word their answer “some of them”. I took their answer to mean the curves were done concurrently with the dynacabs.

If history proves anything, I’m probably wrong about this, too.

If you see smoke coming from the NYC metro area, it’s probably coming from in between my ears.

Wouldn’t each dynacab have a corresponding curve, and therefore it be baked in? They didn’t word their answer “some of them”. I took their answer to mean the curves were done concurrently with the dynacabs.

If history proves anything, I’m probably wrong about this, too.
There exists in the amp block an SIC that matches each Dynacab. There exists an option for the amp block to automatically select the matching SIC dependent on the Dynacab you have selected.

I wouldn't consider that "baked in" per se, but I suppose the end result is the same.

There exists in the amp block an SIC that matches each Dynacab. There exists an option for the amp block to automatically select the matching SIC dependent on the Dynacab you have selected.

I wouldn't consider that "baked in" per se, but I suppose the end result is the same.
As long as I can go into the amp block and tell it to use the characteristics of the selected cab, I guess that’s fine enough for baked in for me.
Honestly I don’t see a good reason anyone would want to change this or why this shouldn’t be the default choice. If I want a mesa oversized 4x12, I want it because I know the cab and know it works with the amp. There are literally thousands of reasons WHY I like it, most of which would be unknown to me.

“Why doesn’t it sound good to me today”?

Well for one reason the selected impedance curve is for a Marshall 4x12. Why would I do that?

I LOVE FAS for the amount of control they give us and I understand this is painstakingly time and resource consuming to do. I guess everyone has a threshold for how much is TOO much control. To me, this whole issue is roughly equivalent to an atmospheric pressure knob to allow me to select altitude, due to the fact sound travels slower at higher altitudes. Hey, SOMEONE has to be gigging in the Himalayas, right? 😂

God bless FAS and the team. Keep this development coming and I’ll be happy to take advantage of some of this heddy stuff I don’t understand, simply to get more cab choices.

Back
Top Bottom