Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with the Dyna-Cab IRs.
Make sure to mute Cab block IRs that you don't use, don't put the virtual mic too far from the speaker ("distance), and when using stereo cabs with stereo fx, make sure you're not summing to stereo later on ("phase cancellation").
Thanks. Didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the Dyna-Cab IRs. Assume it is most likely user error, or some issue with installation as Rock Chalk suggested. I am on the permanent tone struggle bus anyway, so my experience is likely not relevant to the group at large.

I will mess with it more later.

Nothing wrong with the Dyna-Cab IRs.
Make sure to mute Cab block IRs that you don't use, don't put the virtual mic too far from the speaker ("distance), and when using stereo cabs with stereo fx, make sure you're not summing to stereo later on ("phase cancellation").

Are you saying even though I pick dynacab on left side of menu the ir cabs are still being used unless muted ? if true I didnt know that

Are you saying even though I pick dynacab on left side of menu the ir cabs are still being used unless muted ? if true I didnt know that
No I think he is talking about the 4 ir slots you see when you choose « dynacab »

What is cool is that you can have your favorite IR combinaison in channel A and trying the dynacab in Channel B. So to compare the « old » and the new it’s cool. Dynacab is a little bit quieter.

And yeah the 57 is terrible, forget it or put it very low

No I think he is talking about the 4 ir slots you see when you choose « dynacab »

What is cool is that you can have your favorite IR combinaison in channel A and trying the dynacab in Channel B. So to compare the « old » and the new it’s cool. Dynacab is a little bit quieter.

And yeah the 57 is terrible, forget it or put it very low
Thanks much - was thinking the ir was still in use even though I was on dynacab section - hoping that was the issue - maybe not def something wrong with what Im hearing :(

Thanks much - was thinking the ir was still in use even though I was on dynacab section - hoping that was the issue - maybe not def something wrong with what Im hearing :(
That’s strange. Don’t know what do you play and the tone you like, pick your favorite preset, go to cab and change to dynacab, pick the 1960 or the Mesa’s , forget the 57 and just move the dot, with one or 2 cabs, normally you have a usable tone quickly

I think it's a bit bold to say something's wrong and nothing in that thread indicates there is. It could just be people who thought they were tickling the red were using up the 6dB of headroom on hard transients. In fact I'd be willing to bet on it. "Tickling" is open to interpretation.
One man's tickling is another man's noogie.

Maybe I should try this later - I am not getting good results from Dyna-Cab so far. Very hollow, scooped and harsh, with almost every setting I have tried - which granted was only a couple hours of tweaking, but not in line with the experience of others.

Thanks.
I will come of here and join you.
I am not liking this Dyna cab either.
I generally prefer a GB 4x12 cab and a single dynamic mic.
The condenser and ribbon sound as expected and I am not knocking those, it's just I prefer a single dynamic.
If I had my choice, that single dynamic on a GB cab would be a 421.
I am comparing with my favorite York Audio M 25 GB cab IR with the 421-V mic.
I think this Dyna cab thing will help a lot of guys out. I kinda know what I like when choosing an IR. I'm not an IR scroller trying to find what sounds best. I can quickly get there if the IR maker says what mic is used. I have mic'd enough cabs with enough types of mics and pretty much know what to expect. So, to me it's not really a rabbit hole for IRs.

Also I’m not saying that your preset will obligatorily sound better than before with dyna. my IR combinaison sound better than these so far, even if I like the result. But the tests are not over ☺️

I will come of here and join you.
I am not liking this Dyna cab either.
I generally prefer a GB 4x12 cab and a single dynamic mic.
The condenser and ribbon sound as expected and I am not knocking those, it's just I prefer a single dynamic.
If I had my choice, that single dynamic on a GB cab would be a 421.
I am comparing with my favorite York Audio M 25 GB cab IR with the 421-V mic.
I think this Dyna cab thing will help a lot of guys out. I kinda know what I like when choosing an IR. I'm not an IR scroller trying to find what sounds best. I can quickly get there if the IR maker says what mic is used. I have mic'd enough cabs with enough types of mics and pretty much know what to expect. So, to me it's not really a rabbit hole for IRs.

I have just finished dialing in the new 1960 TV dyna-cab with the "dynamic" mic or dynamic+ribbon, and was able to get it very close to my preferred York Audio MV30 IR (Mix 16).

But...the level of your recorded DI has nothing to do with the input sensitivity setting.
Thanks. I'm not sure there is no effect on the quality of the DI though. As I recall, if the input sensitivity is too high, the waveform starts to get clipped and too low and it loses some body. I had to empirically determine the "sweet spot" for each of my guitars. I'm at work now and can't verify but will check this tonight.

Maybe I should try this later - I am not getting good results from Dyna-Cab so far. Very hollow, scooped and harsh, with almost every setting I have tried - which granted was only a couple hours of tweaking, but not in line with the experience of others.

Thanks.
Hollow is exactly what I was experiencing......yes, I would re-do the whole ball of wax!

Thanks. I'm not sure there is no effect on the quality of the DI though. As I recall, if the input sensitivity is too high, the waveform starts to get clipped and too low and it loses some body. I had to empirically determine the "sweet spot" for each of my guitars. I'm at work now and can't verify but will check this tonight.
Yes, that's the whole point of the sensitivity control. However, your question was about the level, not the quality. It's a bit confusing and counterintuitive, but the sensitivity (when used within the normal range) does not affect the level of the DI.

This beta answers the question opened in earlier threads about the possibility of linking amp block settings automatically to cab block settings, and that is awesome! I wonder if it would be possible then to link the Speaker Thump setting to the DynaCab when it's automatic Speaker Impedance Curve is active?
I like this idea. Having default settings for speaker compression, thump, time constant, etc. for each dyna-cab would be really helpful. This wasn’t feasible in the old “thousands of IRs” setup, but it is very manageable for 25 cabs. I do get that “authentic” settings for some of these parameters would depend on which amp is plugged in, but I think just one default per dyna-cab based on the most “appropriate” or “typical” pairing would be close enough as a default point.

The novice users would benefit most, but even as an experienced user who is comfortable dialing in these parameters by hand, I do sometimes wonder what the more authentic settings would be. Heck, I’ve never cranked any guitar amp to that level, so I don’t know how they’re supposed to behave.

Speaking of mic alignment ...

337659828_734773024817335_5542399890629442146_n.jpg
Add a 121 on there - will sound much better

The dyn-cabs are well implemented, and no issues installing or adjusting for me.
It seems to me there will always be a range of desirable and undesirable sounds just from the interaction of timbal differences when combining speakers depending on placement. No doubt Fractal has put in the hard work to insure as much phase alignment and compatibility as possible.
I expect dyna-cabs are going to require me to level up at careful listening to take full advantage.

Hollow is exactly what I was experiencing......yes, I would re-do the whole ball of wax!

I noticed a phasey hollow sound when I added a Dyna-Cab (two of them) to a preset. I was about to post a bug report when I saw that the mic distance on cab 1 (blue) was at 0 while cab 2 (red) was at 3400mm (pic below).

Aligning them (setting cab 2 to 0) fixed it.

26d7bb24efad3cdb6293c31085c8966f45772d46-1.jpeg

Now is that the way how the IRs got made

Yes. The IRs are shot one at a time, like always, it's what happens after they're shot. There are things done differently while they're being shot too.

or are they well choosen?

Cliff mentioned previously that he was auditioning mics and had some that sounded especially good.

I think these are a case of having better samples and an improved process and new, unique, software. You know, totally an accident. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom