Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the direction that this is going! This is an amazing solution to what was the #1 most difficult part of using a fractal.

I have a suggestion: could we add an option to link amp1 and cab1 channels together? That way, if someone changes the amp to channel B, the cab block switches to B with it?

I have used IRs shot with 57s before (OH and York) with success. This is how I have always mic'd my amp live prior to going the modeler route. Anyways, I watched a video that Leon Todd just put out where he mixed both dynamic and ribbon mics. I will give that a try.
I think that's the issue though, these could (likely?) have been post-eq'd before you used them, I know other IR providers do

This is the info from the wiki:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#Dyna-Cab_IRs
  1. 1x10 BF Princetone: 1966 Blackface AA964 Fender Princeton Reverb combo with a single 10" speaker.
  2. 1x10 Metro Blues: unknown, added in firmware 22 for the Axe-Fx III.
  3. 1x10 SF Princetone: late 1960s Silverface AA964 Fender Princeton combo with a single 10" speaker.
  4. 1x12 AC20: Morgan AC20 Deluxe combo with a single 12" Alnico Gold or G12H.
  5. 1x12 Deluxe Verb: 1965 Blackface AB763 Fender Deluxe Reverb combo with a single 12" speaker.
  6. DIV13CJ11
  7. 1x12 Hot Kitty: Bad-Cat Hot Cat with a single 12" speaker.
  8. TWEED20112: unknown
  9. 1x12 Vibrato Lux: Fender Vibrolux combo with a single 12" speaker.
  10. 1x15 Vibrato Verb: Fender Vibroverb combo with a single 15" speaker.
  11. 2x10 Super 6G4: Brownface Fender Super combo with two 10" speakers.
  12. 2x12 65 Bassguy: '65 Fender Bassman cabinet with two 12" speakers.
  13. 2x12 Double Verb: Blackface Fender Twin Reverb with two 12" speakers.
  14. 2x12 Texas Star: Mesa Lone Star combo or cabinet with two 12" speakers, probably C90s.
  15. 4x12 1960 TV: Marshall tall vertical angled cabinet with four 12" speakers.
  16. 4x12 5153: EVH 5150-III cabinet with four 12" G12-EVH speakers.
  17. 4x12 Citrus: Orange cabinet with four 12" speakers.
  18. 4x12 Friedman GB: Friedman cabinet with two 12" greenbacks and two 12" V30.
  19. 4x12 Friedman V30: Friedman cabinet with two 12" greenbacks and two 12" V30.
  20. 4x12 Recto Slant: Mesa Slant Rectifier cabinet with four 12" speakers.
  21. 4x12 Recto Straight: Mesa Straight Rectifier cabinet with four 12" speakers.
  22. 4x12 Rumble EV12L: Dumble cabinet with two EV-12L speakers and two EV-12S speakers in a X-pattern.
  23. 4x12 Rumble EV12S: Dumble cabinet with two EV-12L speakers and two EV-12S speakers in a X-pattern.
  24. 4x12 Solo 100: Soldano cabinet with four 12" speakers.
  25. 4x12 USA MC90: Mesa cabinet with four 12" C90 speakers.
I'm pretty sure that 1x10 would be the Boogie Subway Blues? Guessing from the name

I am not digging the dynamic mics so far. The condensers are great. I have not tried a lot of cabs yet, but the dynamic mics seem really thin with too much high end. I usually go for the 57s when I choose IRs so this is kind of surprising. I still have some exploring to do, so I may change my opinion at some point.

I have the same experience so far. I never liked them much before, and it is even worst at the DYNA-CAB. It lacks body on the low end, and cutting the highs to reduce that crispy can of bees makes it dull. But that is not problem, I just use the condenser and the ribbon.

currently getting a blank context menu with a checkmark up top when i open the cabinet options in dyna-cab mode. followed the opening post's instructions to the letter, axe-edit and fractal-bot are both updated. any ideas?
Try doing the "Refresh after New Firmware" under Settings in Axe Edit - worked for me.

Last edited:
I have used IRs shot with 57s before (OH and York) with success. This is how I have always mic'd my amp live prior to going the modeler route. Anyways, I watched a video that Leon Todd just put out where he mixed both dynamic and ribbon mics. I will give that a try.
Have you moved the mic more to the edge of the speaker?

I am not digging the dynamic mics so far. The condensers are great. I have not tried a lot of cabs yet, but the dynamic mics seem really thin with too much high end. I usually go for the 57s when I choose IRs so this is kind of surprising. I still have some exploring to do, so I may change my opinion at some point.
Before Fractal, I had a little experience dealing with real cabs and mics, both for myself and others as a sound man. I never liked how the SM57 sounded. It was just ok, and imparted too much of its own character onto the sound.

Ok. true story.......some may remember I posted back on like page 6 of this thread how all the Dyna-Cabs sounded reverbery.....well, all
this time I'm hearing everybody gush about how easy it is to dial, and how good it sounds, and I'm thinking "what is wrong here...why can't anybody hear this mess I'm hearing?"........

So, I've been waiting for one of the usual suspects...lol...to post a preset with the Dyna-Cabs, and lo and behold one of them put one up this morning, and there it was.....sounded horrible on my Axe!!!! I knew then something was up......so I re-installed 21.04, deleted the 22.00 files I downloaded the first day, went and got them again, re-did the whole process outlined in the first post, and what do you know......everything sounds glorious with
the Dyna-Cabs now.......YES!!!

Something to note though was this.....even though I went back to 21.04, when I re-installed 22.00 and re-booted, I did not get the warning about not having the Dyna-Cabs......I went ahead and sent the new Dyna-Cab file anyway, and it took like three times longer for it to install this time, than it did the other day...don't know. All I can say is......I am one happy Axe-Fxer now!!! biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Have you moved the mic more to the edge of the speaker?
I did play around a bit with positioning. I was able to get a little more low end by moving the mic around but then it started to get that hollow sound. I think adding the ribbon mic will be the best solution. Or like I stated in the OP the condenser mic sounds great.

Just out of curiosity: what hardware units do the folks experiencing input clipping issues have? I am running the mk I without issues. Is there a chance this issue is specific to mk II and/or Turbo or are fellow mk I owners also experiencing input clipping at extremely low A/D levels?
I have an FX3 MKII and FX3 MKII Turbo and use Paul Reed Smith cu22 guitars and Fender strats and teles. I've not experienced and clipping issues, using the new cabs and am set around 55%. All my guitars have stock passive pickups. So the issue is tied to either pre-amps in front of the AXE FX or hot active pickups. I saw someone mentioned a possible bug. But I don't see it here.

Last edited:
The gear forum?? Is this new?
It's fairly new. The oldest thread I could find was from August of 2022. Cliff has been posting there quite a bit & there are several members from this forum there. Seems to be a much more enjoyable forum compared to TGP.

Speaking of mic alignment ...

337659828_734773024817335_5542399890629442146_n.jpg

Ok. true story.......some may remember I posted back on like page 6 of this thread how all the Dyna-Cabs sounded reverbery.....well, all
this time I'm hearing everybody gush about how easy it is to dial, and how good it sounds, and I'm thinking "what is wrong here...why can't anybody hear this mess I'm hearing?"........

So, I've been waiting for one of the usual suspects...lol...to post a preset with the Dyna-Cabs, and lo and behold @Burgs posts one up this morning, and there it was.....sounded horrible on my Axe!!!! I knew then something was up......so I re-installed 21.04, deleted the 22.00 files I downloaded the first day, went and got them again, re-did the whole process outlined in the first post, and what do you know......everything sounds glorious with
the Dyna-Cabs now.......YES!!!

Something to note though was this.....even though I went back to 21.04, when I re-installed 22.00 and re-booted, I did not get the warning about not having the Dyna-Cabs......I went ahead and sent the new Dyna-Cab file anyway, and it took like three times longer for it to install this time, than it did the other day...don't know. All I can say is......I am one happy Axe-Fxer now!!! View attachment 118416
Maybe I should try this later - I am not getting good results from Dyna-Cab so far. Very hollow, scooped and harsh, with almost every setting I have tried - which granted was only a couple hours of tweaking, but not in line with the experience of others.

Thanks.

Maybe I should try this later - I am not getting good results from Dyna-Cab so far. Very hollow, scooped and harsh, with almost every setting I have tried - which granted was only a couple hours of tweaking, but not in line with the experience of others.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the Dyna-Cab IRs.
Make sure to mute Cab block IRs that you don't use, don't put the virtual mic too far from the speaker ("distance"), and when using stereo cabs with stereo fx, make sure you're not summing to stereo later on ("phase cancellation").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom