Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't installed a beta in a while, but the new cab tech seemed too neat not to try.

This is fantastic.

Building the UI so that you can pick a cab and use the mic position to basically EQ in real time is such a huge leap forward compared to the old method of scrolling through hundreds of IR's until you find exactly the right one (or blends of IR's). Where I used to spend way too long cycling through IR's, then post-EQ'ing the mess out of them, with the new cab mode I found a workable sound in a minute or two of basically picking a cab and then mic+position to get the highs right, then picking another cab and setting up the right mic+position to fill out the lows... and done.

Cannot wait until the full release version of the firmware drops.

edit: also, no zippering / sound gaps when moving the virtual mics around! I'm not sure exactly how this was done, whether each cab is just a single IR and a bunch of fancy EQ curves are applied depending on the mic position (doubtful), or if every single mic position is actually a real, individually shot IR, or if it's something in between, but however you guys did it, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate that the sound smoothly transitions as you move the mic around, instead of there being an audible gap in between each setting.

Last edited:
While the Dyna-Cab is sounding pretty good, any tips for getting a more "immediate" sound with it? What I mean is, when I
find the tone I want by choosing the mic and moving it around, ect., it always ends up having a "reverbery" sound to it, compared to
the legacy ir. Now keep in mind that I am a complete noob at this. lol ...so just curious.

So much winning in this firmware release... we as guitarists are all better off because this firmware was released.

Thanks, Cliff!

PS: Are there any algorithmic elements - besides the automatic phase and impedance curve alignment - involved in the dyna-cabs or are they strictly sets of high-resolution impulse responses?

While the Dyna-Cab is sounding pretty good, any tips for getting a more "immediate" sound with it? What I mean is, when I
find the tone I want by choosing the mic and moving it around, ect., it always ends up having a "reverbery" sound to it, compared to
the legacy ir. Now keep in mind that I am a complete noob at this. lol ...so just curious.

Shorten the IR length.

The farther you move the mic from the virtual grill cloth, the roomier the setting will sound. The most immediate tone would be dead center, zero distance between mic and grill cloth. You could also trim the IR length as GreatGreen suggested. Apart from that, there's not much else that you can do. There's no de-reverberator block inside the Axe FX.

By the way, a question for you studio gear connoisseurs: What mics do you suspect are behind the ribbon and condenser mic monikers? We already know that the dynamic mic is in fact the Shure SM57.

I'd guess the ribbon is either a Royer R121 or the sE Rupert Neve RNR1. As for the condenser, I'd say it has to be a Neumann or a Telefunken model, but Cliff hinted at a surprise mic before an NFL conference final game. I'm probably wrong on both counts, it would still be interesting to find out.

Last edited:
What’s your high cut at ?

The condenser mic type is already my favorite and I always chose dynamic (57) in the past. Definitely some juice in there that was missing from irs before. The low end sounds great, and full with no flub. Only tried my favorite preset. Very nice!
IIRC, the “preview” IR was the condenser. I am using that IR in several cabs, substituting it for 1x12 IRs by raising the low-cut point. And that was before Cliff revealed the DynaCab changes. It’s an amazing sounding microphone.

Question! I got the new Fractal Bot and unzipped the OSX (on a mac). Fractal bot "-b1" is in the folder. Does this mean I have two versins of Fractal Bot?

Yes. That’s for you to manage. I keep the full release in my Applications folder, and the beta releases in a “Fractal Audio” folder on another drive.

Do I drag and drop this Fractal Bot icon into my Applications folder and replace the existing one, or did this get overwritten with the new one when I unzipped everything? Sorry, computer noob here hahah
When Sherlock indexes the disks it finds both. When I use Sherlock to find “fractal-bot” (CMD+SPACE) it should present both hits, so I pick which one I want.

This is amazing! The ability to surf the mic across the speaker, move it back and forth so I can tailor it to the Amp in use just like I would in the studio is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom