Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #5 (Beta 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, it would be extremely useful, if it was possible to export the DynaCab settings to an IR. I would never fiddle with my DynaCab settings in a live situation.

It would be perfection, if it was sort of a 'freeze' function, where it made one (stereo) IR out of your settings, but you could steel 'unfreeze' to continue fine tuning the settings. I am assuming, it would free up some processing power and might even make switching faster.
From what I remember reading in a previous thread, it is against the EULA to make any impulse responses based off of fractals impulse responses. But perhaps it would be okay to do for personal use.

The Cabinet block has a Level control like most other blocks. This control can be used to control the volume.
However if I want to use legacy cab in channel A and dyna-can in channel B under just 1 cab block, and if I want to change A and B, the volume control in cab block is not very helpful since that is applied in the end of block.

However if I want to use legacy cab in channel A and dyna-can in channel B under just 1 cab block, and if I want to change A and B, the volume control in cab block is not very helpful since that is applied in the end of block.
The Level control is not independent of the channel. Study the section in the manual about channels.

The Level control is not independent of the channel. Study the section in the manual about channels.
That is what I said in my reply. The level control can’t help on the different output level between legacy cab and dyna cab. That is why I hope the official version fixes the difference between them (i.e. same level).

Sorry, what do you mean ‘it can’? Anyway I strongly hope dyna-cab comes out same as regular IR in the official release. Then no need to tweak anything.
Ax3 Manual - p43

"WHAT EACH CHANNEL INCLUDES...
Each Channel stores its own settings for every parameter in the block. This gives you up to four independent sounds from a single block."

So the level difference between Dynacab and Legacy version of the same cab is irrelavent since you won't be switching between them in the same channel, and across difference channels, just compensate with the level control (though I'm not sure why one would want to use the same cab as legacy and dynacab in the same preset anyway, and even if you do want it, it's unlikely the legacy IR is really the same IR (the mic or mic position or pre are likely different even if the cab is the same so different IRs between legacy and dynacab, with small variations in volume - to be expected).

Last edited:
I think, it would be extremely useful, if it was possible to export the DynaCab settings to an IR. I would never fiddle with my DynaCab settings in a live situation.

It would be perfection, if it was sort of a 'freeze' function, where it made one (stereo) IR out of your settings, but you could steel 'unfreeze' to continue fine tuning the settings. I am assuming, it would free up some processing power and might even make switching faster.
Agree with this. I actually expected the Axe-Fx would already do something like this behind the scenes when you stop adjusting the settings.

I think this feature would be actually better as a global setting to toggle because you might want to freeze things across all presets for live use but would not care about latency for studio/home use when you are more likely to edit stuff.

This is how I could see it working:
  • If you save a preset, frozen IRs are always generated. This ensures presets most relevant to you will have them.
  • If you turn on global setting "Freeze cabs" on, stereo IRs are rendered for every presets' cabs/channels. If the IRs already exists, skip preset to save time. If the IRs don't exist, render them. Takes some time but could be done in the background so the user never notices.
  • If Freeze is on, cab block shows "Frozen, no changes possible" warning for IRs. Things like low/high cut, preamp settings etc would still work since they are separate.

Last edited:
Sorry, what do you mean ‘it can’? Anyway I strongly hope dyna-cab comes out same as regular IR in the official release. Then no need to tweak anything.
Not all IR's are at the same volume and I have always had to adjust the channel volume to match all channels. I'm always tweaking something and that is what is fun about it. ;)

If you save a preset, frozen IRs are always generated. This ensures presets most relevant to you will have them.
Dynacab is IR selection from GUI controls instead of a list. Afaik, there is nothing to freeze unless you mean a multiple mic mix. Multiple IR mix is already supported on legacy cabs, didn’t seem to be a problem.

Dynacab is IR selection from GUI controls instead of a list. Afaik, there is nothing to freeze unless you mean a multiple mic mix. Multiple IR mix is already supported on legacy cabs, didn’t seem to be a problem.
If there is a switching latency difference with Dyna-Cabs vs legacy as some say, rendering the selected Dyna-Cab IR setup to a single stereo IR could speed things up. So instead of loading all the IRs needed for Dyna-Cabs in each channel, it just loads that single IR but doesn't let you change it.

This would be similar to how for example I can in real time tweak a similar cab sim in ML Sound Lab MIKKO, and when I find a setup that works, I can export it as a mono or stereo IR to use with anything that can load it. Axe-Fx would just do this internally, behind the scenes.

If there is a switching latency difference with Dyna-Cabs vs legacy as some say, rendering the selected Dyna-Cab IR setup to a single stereo IR could speed things up. So instead of loading all the IRs needed for Dyna-Cabs in each channel, it just loads that single IR but doesn't let you change it.

This would be similar to how for example I can in real time tweak a similar cab sim in ML Sound Lab MIKKO, and when I find a setup that works, I can export it as a mono or stereo IR to use with anything that can load it. Axe-Fx would just do this internally, behind the scenes.
Presets are too small to contain exported IRs.

I use two cab blocks, one Legacy and one Dyna. Blending them and adjust volume until I get a nice sound from them both together.

Assumptions:

1. 1x10 BF Princetone — 10" speaker in a blackface Fender Princeton combo with reverb
  2. 1x10 Metro Blues — 10" Eminence Black Shadow speaker in a MESA Subway Blues combo
  3. 1x10 SF Princetone — 10" speaker in a silverface Fender Princeton combo
  4. 1x12 AC20 — 12" G12M75 speaker [3] in a Morgan AC20 Deluxe combo
  5. 1x12 Car Ambler — 12" speaker, probably Eminence Elsinore, in a Carr Rambler combo
  6. 1x12 Deluxe Verb — 12" speaker in a Fender Deluxe Reverb combo
  7. 1x12 Div13 CJ11 — 12" Celestion G12M speaker in a Divided By 13 CJ11 combo
  8. 1x12 G12T-100 — 12" Celestion G12T-100 speaker in a 1x12 cabinet
  9. 1x12 Hot Kitty — 12" custom Celestion V30 speaker in a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 combo
  10. 1x12 Jr Blues — 12" speaker (Eminence or Jensen?) in a Fender Blues Junior
  11. 1x12 Nuclear Tone — 12" Mojotone BV-25m speaker in a Swart Atomic Space Tone
  12. 1x12 Tweed 20112 — 12" Eminence speaker in a Victoria 20112 Deluxe Tweed combo
  13. 1x12 Vibrato Lux — 12" speaker in a brownface Fender Vibrolux combo
  14. 1x15 Portabass — 15" Eminence speaker in a Ampeg Portaflex 1x15 bass cabinet
  15. 1x15 Vibratoverb — 15" JBL D130 in a blackface Fender Vibroverb 1x15 combo [4]
  16. 2x10 Heart Key — 10" HyDrive paper/aluminum cone speaker in a Harte 2x10 bass combo
  17. 2x10 Super 6G4 — 10" speaker in a brownface Fender Super combo
  18. 2x12 65 Bassguy — 12" speaker in a blackface Fender Bassman combo or cabinet
  19. 2x12 Chiefman — 12" custom Celestion G12H75 speaker [5] in a Matchless Chieftain combo
  20. 2x12 Class-A 30W — 12" Alnico Silver speaker [6] in a VOX AC-30 combo. “The AC30 used for this Dyna-Cab was provided by a customer. It's a particularly nice sounding AC30 and I think it's because of the speakers. Also, this particular AC30 has "beam blockers" both vertically and horizontally. Most AC30s just have a vertical strip. This one has a cross pattern.” [7]
  21. 2x12 Double Verb — 12" Jensen speaker in a Fender Twin Reverb combo
  22. 2x12 Lead 80 — 12" Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker in a 2x12 cabinet
  23. 2x12 Texas Star — 12" speaker (probably Celestion C90 aka Black Shadow) in a MESA Lone Star 2x12 combo or cabinet
  24. 4x10 Bassguy RI — 10" Jensen P10 speaker in a 1959 Fender Bassman reissue combo
  25. 4x12 1960TV — 12" speaker (probably Celestion greenback) in a tall vertical angled Marshall 1960 cabinet
  26. 4x12 5153 — 12" Celestion in a EVH 5150-III 4x12 cabinet
  27. 4x12 Citrus — 12" Celestion V30 speaker in a Orange 4x12 cabinet
  28. 4x12 Friedman GB — 12" Celestion greenback speaker in a Friedman 4x12 cabinet
  29. 4x12 Friedman V30 — 12" Celestion V30 speaker in a Friedman 4x12 cabinet
  30. 4x12 Lerxst — 12" Celestion speaker (probably greenback) in a Lerxst 4x12 cabinet
  31. 4x12 Recto Slant — 12" speaker in a slanted 4x12 MESA Rectifier cabinet
  32. 4x12 Recto Straight — 12" speaker in a straight 4x12 MESA Rectifier cabinet
  33. 4x12 Rumble EV12L — 12" EV-12L speaker in a Dumble 4x12 cabinet
  34. 4x12 Rumble EV12S — 12" EV-12S speaker in a Dumble 4x12 cabinet
  35. 4x12 Solo 100 — 12" speaker in a Soldano 4x12 cabinet
  36. 4x12 USA MC90 — 12" Celestion C90 speaker (based on Classic Lead 80) speaker in a '80s MESA 4x12 cabinet, aka "Cliff's Boogie" cab. "That cab was my gigging cab for years. The other equipment changed but that cab was a constant." [8]

Would like to see the EVM-12L in a Thiele cab, but I suppose mic positioning will have to do. (My gigging cab in stereo for years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom