Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be that guy: I like your old IR more :p
The new one sounds ... "boxier"? Your old one sounds (imho) ... "balanced"?

To me, the old one feels like it would sit better in a mix but in practice the new one would probably do better because of the clarity.
And, you're both not wrong. The old one has more "meat" while the new one sounded a little thin in the mix. Loved the clarity, but it needed a little more substance in the mid/low-mids so it punched more, and came off less "bright". Currently searching for that balance. The top end in the new DynaCabs is so good. The key will be can we mix in enough mids/low-mids by moving the mics around.

Technically they could begin porting while Cliff is still fixing bugs and adjusting, but that’d lead to wasted effort with code having to be rewritten. Changing the scope or requirements mid-stream is a sure way to piss off developers.
Tell me about. Happens too often in my line of work.

Coming from Helix I can say for sure Fractal is next level, mind you the Helix is amazing its just easier to dial in great tones
with the Fractal, also the Amp modeling and effects are just stellar
I made the jump from a POD X3 Live to an AFX Ultra back in the day, and even then the difference in quality and attention to sonic detail was CONSIDERABLY better with Fractal. And they haven't ONCE ceded their title as the Best In Class for amp modeling and effects.

And, you're both not wrong. The old one has more "meat" while the new one sounded a little thin in the mix. Loved the clarity, but it needed a little more substance in the mid/low-mids so it punched more, and came off less "bright". Currently searching for that balance. The top end in the new DynaCabs is so good. The key will be can we mix in enough mids/low-mids by moving the mics around.
Agreed completely. I love what the DynaCabs have added but I still can’t get enough mids and low-mids like I can with a normal IR.

I’m sure we’ll get there…

Coming from Helix I can say for sure Fractal is next level, mind you the Helix is amazing its just easier to dial in great tones
with the Fractal, also the Amp modeling and effects are just stellar
I don't know how the Helix is doing right now but 3 years ago I've checked it out extensively and couldn't get a single decent tone out of it pretty much. Maybe because I was used to the Axe II but I felt like it simply wasn't good enough no matter what I did to it out of the box. What I remember is that the factory cabs were just abysmal and I didn't feel like going through loads and loads of 3rd party IRs to find some good sounds. I also wasn't too crazy about the UI/UX - it has some nice convenience features but I'll never feel comfortable tweaking a floor unit on the floor. Axe-Edit is so good I haven't touch anything on the front panel of the Axe for a very long time.

I don't know how the Helix is doing right now but 3 years ago I've checked it out extensively and couldn't get a single decent tone out of it pretty much. Maybe because I was used to the Axe II but I felt like it simply wasn't good enough no matter what I did to it out of the box. What I remember is that the factory cabs were just abysmal and I didn't feel like going through loads and loads of 3rd party IRs to find some good sounds. I also wasn't too crazy about the UI/UX - it has some nice convenience features but I'll never feel comfortable tweaking a floor unit on the floor. Axe-Edit is so good I haven't touch anything on the front panel of the Axe for a very long time.
Well they have come a long way since about 3 years ago and they can be made to sound great it just takes more work, the HX edit with snapshots is by far better in the Helix than in the Fractalverse , and is super easy and intuitive
but for tones and getting a great tone up and running the Fractal wins out
also most of all the presets in the Fractal are awesome and serve as great templates for your own custom tailored presets
both Helix and Fractal as companies are awesome cant go wrong with either or

...the HX edit with snapshots is by far better in the Helix than in the Fractalverse
I keep hearing this. Why are snapshots better? You can do anything snapshots can do with scenes and channels. The converse is not true. For example you can't switch amp types with snapshots. Every snapshot must use the same amp model. With scenes and channels you can change not only parameters but effect and amp types.

I keep hearing this. Why are snapshots better? You can do anything snapshots can do with scenes and channels. The converse is not true. For example you can't switch amp types with snapshots. Every snapshot must use the same amp model. With scenes and channels you can change not only parameters but effect and amp types.
I don't think it's better at all! I find the Fractal stuff to be a lot more intuitive and easier for me. I actually didn't get on with the Helix at all I found it lacking something to be honest.

Yes true you cant change amps and the Routing, on the Fractal it is much better but Lets say I want to add a different volume, gain and maybe a few other parameters for Scene1 and say 4 and yes I use the Scene controller
Set the Volume IE and then i cant change the values have to go back to Scene controller at all times Don't know maybe im doing it wrong im quite new to Fractal

I just found it easier to right click on a parameter and save it as a snapshot and was pretty much unlimited to the different available parameters
but im still learning the Fractal system

1684496282528.png

YEs you canty change amps and the Routing on Fractal is better but Lets say I want to add a different volume, gain and maybe a few other parameters for Scene1 and say 4 and yes I use the Scene controller
Set the Volume IE and then i cant change the values have to go back to Scene controller at all time Don't know maybe im doing it wrong im quite new to Fractal

I just found it easier to right click on a parameter and save it as a snapshot and was pretty much unlimited to the different available parameters
but im still learning the Fractal system

View attachment 121146
Unless you need more than 4 different settings for each block, that's what channels are for. So the only real limitation currently on Fractal devices is the number of channels vs scenes, it would be ideal if those two matched. But 99% of the times this isn't an issue in reality, I personally never need more than 2-3 different settings per block in a preset.

He probably says this because he can set any parameter to any value he wants in each snapshot directly, without having to use scene controllers - it's easier to use that way. But Helix doesn't have all the mapping parameters etc. that makes the Axe-Fx controllers much more powerful

It just occurred to me that it might be good to have a switch in Set Up, that you could set to Cab1 or Cab2, to
govern which Cab would control the SIC of Amp2.

He probably says this because he can set any parameter to any value he wants in each snapshot directly, without having to use scene controllers - it's easier to use that way. But Helix doesn't have all the mapping parameters etc. that makes the Axe-Fx controllers much more powerful
This ^^
And that im still learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom