Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes true you cant change amps and the Routing, on the Fractal it is much better but Lets say I want to add a different volume, gain and maybe a few other parameters for Scene1 and say 4 and yes I use the Scene controller
Set the Volume IE and then i cant change the values have to go back to Scene controller at all times Don't know maybe im doing it wrong im quite new to Fractal

I just found it easier to right click on a parameter and save it as a snapshot and was pretty much unlimited to the different available parameters
but im still learning the Fractal system

View attachment 121146
The way to do it is with channels. Copy the current channel to a new channel and then adjust that channel as desired and use that channel in the desired scene.

It just occurred to me that it might be good to have a switch in Set Up, that you could set to Cab1 or Cab2, to
govern which Cab would control the SIC of Amp2.
Cool idea - could modify the current "off/on" switch function for dynacab matching in the amp speaker page to "off/cab1/cab2" to facilitate that without needing a new control. I'd use it since I only ever use 1 cab - even with 2 amp blocks I never use cab2 (and I never use different cabs in cab slot 1 vs 2 - just different mics, or panning for full stereo). Current design is still fine for me as I can just copy the amp1 SIC parms to amp2 with the switch off in amp2, no biggie (specially since I don't use dual amp blocks as much now days), but your idea would make it easier when I use 2 amp blocks👍.

Last edited:
Cool idea - could modify the current "off/on" switch function for dynacab matching in the amp speaker page to "off/cab1/cab2" to facilitate that without needing a new control. I'd use it since I only ever use 1 cab - even with 2 amp blocks I never use cab2 (and I never use different cabs in cab slot 1 vs 2 - just different mics, or panning for full stereo). Current design is still fine for me as I can just copy the amp1 SIC parms to amp2 with the switch off in amp2, no biggie (specially since I don't use dual amp blocks as much now days), but your idea would make it easier 👍.
See here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp2-sic-switch.194538/ 1thumb up.gif

I keep hearing this. Why are snapshots better? You can do anything snapshots can do with scenes and channels. The converse is not true. For example you can't switch amp types with snapshots. Every snapshot must use the same amp model. With scenes and channels you can change not only parameters but effect and amp types.
It's unusual to hear somebody call snapshots "better". I think people find snapshots more intuitive since you can select a snapshot and dial in a parameter value you want for that snapshot. There's no need for the extra concept to learn of using channels or scene controllers. After all, how many times have you seen somebody on this forum confused because they assume Axe-FX scenes work like Helix snapshots? That's pretty strong evidence that snapshots are more intuitive.

As for which is "better" though, I think it would be hard to make a case that one is better than the other. As you say, with scenes/channels you can use non-continuous parameters. Not only that, it's often helpful to group a set of parameter settings into a channel so you can reuse that same group of parameter settings in another scene. Scene controllers are probably more analogous to snapshots than channels, but again they add an extra level of indirection that I suspect some people find intimidating.

I've said this before, but I think part of the confusion that surrounds scenes/channels might be alleviated by presenting them not as scenes, which has a bit of a connotation that implies they work like Helix snapshots, but with a metaphor that presents them as a switcher, like a Boss MS-3. Everyone understands how a switcher like that works. Instead of 8 scenes, you have a switcher with 8 patches. I don't know for certain that would help, but it does seem like there's a fair bit of confusion for newcomers surrounding the current concept of scenes.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I think part of the confusion that surrounds scenes/channels might be alleviated by presenting them not as scenes, which has a bit of a connotation that implies they work like Helix snapshots, but with a metaphor that presents them as a switcher, like a Boss MS-3. Everyone understands how a switcher like that works. Instead of 8 scenes, you have a switcher with 8 patches. I don't know for certain that would help, but it does seem like there's a fair bit of confusion for newcomers surrounding the current concept of scenes.
Yes, because when comparing to other devices, scenes are basically presets; you can have up to 8 completely different rigs if you build it right. I'm used to it now, but when I first get into Fractal this confused me to no end. To me a Fractal preset is more like a 'project' which can contain up to 8 presets. Definitely not snapshots, which are just variations of one preset.

The way to do it is with channels. Copy the current channel to a new channel and then adjust that channel as desired and use that channel in the desired scene.
Agreed. This covers most use cases. The one caveat is if you need gapless switching. Personally, I haven't found the need for gapless switching most of the time. Even a real multichannel amp has gaps when switching channels but I see so many people trying to achieve it (for whatever reason)... If you need gapless use Scene Controllers or dual amp blocks if you only have two variations. For everything else, channels works great!

Yes, because when comparing to other devices, scenes are basically presets; you can have up to 8 completely different rigs if you build it right. I'm used to it now, but when I first get into Fractal this confused me to no end. To me a Fractal preset is more like a 'project' which can contain up to 8 presets. Definitely not snapshots, which are just variations of one preset.
That’s the way I look at it. I call my presets studio rigs 🤣

Unfortunately you will still have gaps when switching amp channels even if the amp model does not change.

If you need gapless use Scene Controllers or dual amp blocks
Yes. This is good advice. When I truly need gapless switching, my presets use scene controllers or I cross-fade between amps. That said, the actual "gap" when switching amp models is quite brief, and I generally can live with it.

It just occurred to me that it might be good to have a switch in Set Up, that you could set to Cab1 or Cab2, to
govern which Cab would control the SIC of Amp2.
Yes!

Cool idea - could modify the current "off/on" switch function for dynacab matching in the amp speaker page to "off/cab1/cab2" to facilitate that without needing a new control. I'd use it since I only ever use 1 cab - even with 2 amp blocks I never use cab2 (and I never use different cabs in cab slot 1 vs 2 - just different mics, or panning for full stereo). Current design is still fine for me as I can just copy the amp1 SIC parms to amp2 with the switch off in amp2, no biggie (specially since I don't use dual amp blocks as much now days), but your idea would make it easier when I use 2 amp blocks👍.
Double yes!

I respectfully disagree. Scenes are anything but “completely different rigs”.

I strongly prefer the Fractal implementation. Way more flexible. I dont care how intuitive/easy something is, as Im a professional and I learn my gear as part of what I consider basic skills. I read the manual 2x before my first Fractal arrived, and built my own presets from scratch on day 1. I gigged those presets a week later. This isnt rocket science. I like how Fractal thinks about the pro crowd (techs, engineers) vs. the consumer market.

I respectfully disagree. Scenes are anything but “completely different rigs”.
With an Axe-Fx III I can set up 8 scenes that all use completely different amps, cabs and effects. I don't know how using completely different gear in each scene can be described as anything but 8 completely different rigs. What is your disagreement about that?

With an Axe-Fx III I can set up 8 scenes that all use completely different amps, cabs and effects. I don't know how using completely different gear in each scene can be described as anything but 8 completely different rigs. What is your disagreement about that?

Nah, on second thought you’re right. I was thinking about how I personally use scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom