Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta58 is hypercardiod, SM58 is just cardiod, they serve 2 different purposes, especially concerning potential monitor feedback. I personally also prefer the beta, Shure KSM9 is my all-time favourite vocal mic (and also a condenser). But frequently have great results with a SM58, so hardly a "shitty" mic in my opinion.

SM57, which is basically a SM58 without foamfilter, hence an instrument mic, has been surpassed by so many other great alternatives in the same price range, it has totally lost it's relevance in my opinion - except for the occasional mic'ing of gtr-cab as a secondary microphone.
With a sm58, more feedback, you need to sing way closer, in hands the 58 is noisy… the +50 bucks are justified

With a sm58, more feedback, you need to sing way closer, in hands the 58 is noisy… the +50 bucks are justified
It all depends - less transients in a SM58, so usually less feedback, despite being standard cardioid, so many prefer it, as it's easier to control in a loud monitor situation.

I get it, but prefer my mics with more transients, not less 😁

Thank you so much, I love my axe fx3 and you guys just making it better, thank you so much

Yes. For sure appreciated. Solid piece of gear been made even more intense.

I'm wondering if the source cabs were captured with a flat mic at various positions and then the Mic part being an actual modeling of microphones? Or is it all IRs?

It all depends - less transients in a SM58, so usually less feedback, despite being standard cardioid, so many prefer it, as it's easier to control in a loud monitor situation.

I get it, but prefer my mics with more transients, not less 😁
That’s exaggerating when I said that they are shit, they work… but this is to point that they are so many things in the mic market that people never tried. But that’s the same for guitar and amps hm. We are all the same, our tastes are biased by the bands we listen to

It's the "old specs never die" thing, methinks....
And they are right too cause that gear was used in the recordings we know by heart. So it sound “friendly” to our ears.
I have an example this week. I buy myself a basic dunlop wah gcb95, a limited white edition, second hand, inexpensive, don’t ask me why as I already own a 535q but don’t know, I love wah pedals 🤷 . I wanted to try the “basic one” back . And … it sound good 😅. It has the tone of many records that I listen too immediately 🤷.

Since it seems 3rd parties in the future can make and sell their own dyna-cab file with their own speakers and mic combo….

Will it just overwrite the current dyna cab file? I assume yes

Since it seems 3rd parties can make and sell their own dyna-cab file with their own speakers and mic combo….

Will it just overwrite the current dyna cab file? I assume yes
I think we don't know what the final data layout will be when 22 gets out of beta. What we do know is that Fractal has a long history of future-oriented thinking and powerful frameworks. I trust that they'll do their best to balance backward compatibility and future capability, standard IRs and Dynacab, in-house and third-party, quality and quantity, all the tradeoffs involved.

We'll see...

More seriously, the sm57, like the sm58 are pure shit. People stick to them cause they are not expensive and because they see their 70’s band with it, and also the sound guy said it his good cause he read it in his school book.

The sm7b is a crappy mic too, it has no gain at all, you will be surprise is you try a real one if you haven’t tried one already . Yeah “Michael Jackson used it” … in his studio, even a 10 buck mic worked because of the rest.

Speaking about shure mics, the beta series is 10 times better and the ksm ones too, I have compared them for hours. But people stick to the same old shit because of the past.

With all the technology human can do, they stick with a sm57 you know 🤦. Is like asking for a boss pedal in an axe fx, we are all fucked men.
100%. Could not agree more.

SM57’s blow. They are nasally and have horrible low end reproduction. People use them because that’s what they had “back in the day”.

Regarding this mic is "better" than this other mic crowd.

They are different colors to use in the palette of capturing sound. One person's low end deficient is another's mic where a high pass filter doesn't need to be engaged.

It's like the false comparisons on TGP of a strat is "better" than an LP. For some use cases and players, the answer is yes, for others, the answer is no. It all depends on context.

There's a reason pro studios have a mic locker and it is not to look pretty.

Since it seems 3rd parties in the future can make and sell their own dyna-cab file with their own speakers and mic combo….
A few people have said that 3rd parties will be allowed to include their own mics.

This has not been stated by Fractal, so I'm not sure that's a correct assumption.

What they said was that 3rd parties can rent the equipment. Does that equipment include mics? We don't know...

Of course ive tried it. I never use only a 57. Ots always paired with the r21 and usually 1 other mic depending on project. What the 57 brings, especially just off the edge of the dust cap makes it. 7 is just too smooth imo. I guess if you were only using 1 mic, a 7 would be superior, but who does that?

You just unknowingly propped up that mic. Lol.

I don't find that at all. Check your converters. You must have some thick blanket smothering up that audio because The is sm7b is amazing to blend. True but It has a lot less of that scratchy stuff going on but in a very good way. But that R121 is very rolled off on top so hey if that's how you like to get to your destination then sure. I prefer the sm7b/M160 ribbon mix. I find it takes EQ easier together to the guitar bus, and don't have to EQ,as much.
The other mix I found each needs more EQ and individually so.
each is equally valid if you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom