Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never once picked an sm7 over an sm57 micing a real cab. So curious what the buzz is about when this gets out of beta.
Try it. Once you start I don't see how you will ever go back to a 57 after Sm7b on cabs for the same reason one would do the same if AB'd for vocals. It's just simply a much better 57.

From Shure's website: "For the development of the SM7, Shure engineers were given the SM57 cartridge elements (Unidyne III) and asked, without restrictions on size or cost to essentially make it better.."

Would you put a 57 on a vocalist if you had an sm7b on hand? I definetly wouldn't. So why would I not treat my guitar cab the same way and not give it the improvement?

Try it. Once you start I don't see how you will ever go back to a 57 after Sm7b on cabs for the same reason one would do the same if AB'd for vocals. It's just simply a much better 57.

From Shure's website: "For the development of the SM7, Shure engineers were given the SM57 cartridge elements (Unidyne III) and asked, without restrictions on size or cost to essentially make it better.."

Would you put a 57 on a vocalist if you had an sm7b on hand? I definetly wouldn't. So why would I not treat my guitar cab the same way and not give it the improvement?
Of course ive tried it. I never use only a 57. Ots always paired with the r21 and usually 1 other mic depending on project. What the 57 brings, especially just off the edge of the dust cap makes it. 7 is just too smooth imo. I guess if you were only using 1 mic, a 7 would be superior, but who does that?

But for the default sound, the classics make more sense (SM57 + Royer 121).
The use of the 57 became popular back in the day because of a nice visceral bite that it gave to cabinets that contained good quality speakers like the original spec v30s and current uk-made v30s. (And other speakers,which also don't sound shrill).

But the v30s made in china which have poor quality magnets are an ultra shrill affair.

But a 57 on a cab like a recto which still has the proper specs v30s is fine. An Sm7b is even better.

But not even a U47 can make the non-uk v30s sound acceptable to my ears unless just subtly blended in as another IR.

I'm not saying that all speakers made in China sound bad, but that one made there sounds bad. They botched the v30 horridly. Unless something has changed very recently with their manufacturing.

The Royer 121 is for sure popular to smooth things out. But again, if the bad speaker is used as then not even that mic can polish that one too well and you need other speakers blended with Turd Primo.

Lately I've just been using a single or maximum 2 Ownhammer IRs without even needing more. Which is why I'm starting to think that blending more than 2 is very overrated when your source capture is good. If someone finds they need to blend more than 3 then I think the person has other issues in their setup or who knows what.

the best recording I've ever heard was with a silver M160 through an APi preamp, capturing a year 1981 G12-80 speaker in the Orange cabinet after the guy ripped out the turd spec speakers that came with his cab.

Last edited:
The SM57 has been the acme of micing for almost as long as cabs have been miced; especially for touring on the west side of the pond, so its got to be included on most of the cabinet models, especially as it is the right color crayon for many classic tones (or less than classic, but what we're comfortable with on stage). An SM57, along with an M160 and a KM84 or the like: you should be able to load the bases, and get the runs in.

Years ago I got a Beyerdynamic M88. On a cab it gives me everything I'd want from an SM57 plus more breadth and articulation. A studio owner I know regularly wows his clients by micing their coveted cabs with a FET47. SM7b and RE20 have a storied legacy as well. So, while we all have our special favorites, the FAS factory offerings ace it at covering the essentials. Perhaps down the road, FAS will add more, and third party vendors will go nuts with extended possibilities, and I look forward to being entertained by this: I personally will likely be more than satisfied with what's in the box, but I would reach further afield for a Hiwatt 4x12 with cast frame Fanes, and I'd be delighted if Fractal can come up with a jaw dropping "Ideal" full range bass cabinet that is more of a chameleon than the signature sound of the established standards.

Last edited:
More seriously, the sm57, like the sm58 are pure shit. People stick to them cause they are not expensive and because they see their 70’s band with it, and also the sound guy said it his good cause he read it in his school book.

The sm7b is a crappy mic too, it has no gain at all, you will be surprise is you try a real one if you haven’t tried one already . Yeah “Michael Jackson used it” … in his studio, even a 10 buck mic worked because of the rest.

Speaking about shure mics, the beta series is 10 times better and the ksm ones too, I have compared them for hours. But people stick to the same old shit because of the past.

With all the technology human can do, they stick with a sm57 you know 🤦. Is like asking for a boss pedal in an axe fx, we are all fucked men.

When you plug a beta 58 and a sm58 in a mixer and go back and forth🤦. That’s a joke that they continue to sell wagons of it. Just because bla-bla-bla . Just fucking try it ! raaaaaaahhhh. Too much nostalgia and « I’ve read that or seen that »

More seriously, the sm57, like the sm58 are pure shit. People stick to them cause they are not expensive and because they see their 70’s band with it, and also the sound guy said it his good cause he read it in his school book.

The sm7b is a crappy mic too, it has no gain at all, you will be surprise is you try a real one if you haven’t tried one already . Yeah “Michael Jackson used it” … in his studio, even a 10 buck mic worked because of the rest.

Speaking about shure mics, the beta series is 10 times better and the ksm ones too, I have compared them for hours. But people stick to the same old shit because of the past.

With all the technology human can do, they stick with a sm57 you know 🤦. Is like asking for a boss pedal in an axe fx, we are all fucked men.
My guy, boss pedals have been asked for 😂

Well if you want my honest opinion I would have to say that Shure is a completely bogus microphone company with the sm7b on vocals being whey too overrated to an absurd degree as you say. They are such that you need additional mics in the picture to hold them erect. 😆

If anything Sennheiser evolution series dynamics!
Just walks all over anything with the shure logo on it on any source audio. Cabs, vocals, pianos, drums... anything really.

Nevertheless, I find the Sm7b on a cab to be interesting and useful to blend as long as the cab doesn have horrid sounding speakers in them.

And btw 57 or Sm7b can be fixed with a cloud lifter even on a Mic pre with low gain.

But you mean the beta 57? That thing has whey too different a frequency response than a 57 to even have a 57 designation. But an sm7b will give you a more refined version of 57 Sonics with better low end as well. It's like a 57 on steroids. Which is still not saying much. 😂

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 22 Introduces Dyna-Cab™ cabinet modeling.

The Cabinet block now has two modes of operation: Legacy and Dyna-Cab. Legacy is the previous style of operation.

Dyna-Cab cabinet modeling allows freely positioning the microphone. We took an approach of quality-over-quantity:

• Dyna-Cab IRs are a full 2048 samples.
  • Mic positions are sampled at a fine spatial resolution.
  • Three mic choices are available: Condenser, Dynamic and Ribbon.
  • All IRs are time-aligned with each other. They have been processed using a new algorithm that ensures alignment without destroying phase information. You can mix-and-match IRs from different cabs/mics and they'll always be perfectly aligned.
The Amp block now features “Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance”. When set to ON the speaker impedance curve of the Amp block will follow the Cabinet Type in the first mixer slot of the associated Cabinet block. I.e., if the Cab Type in the first mixer slot of Cabinet 1 is, say, 4x12 5153 and the Mode is Dyna-Cab then Amp 1’s speaker impedance will automatically be set to 4x12 5153.

Added “Treble Shift” control to Tone page of USA IIC+ models. This is an alias of the “Fat” control found on the Preamp page and performs the same function.

Added clip warning if Input 1 clips. This is indicated on the Mini-Tuner.

Added meters to Input page of I/O menu. Input 1 meter will turn red if clipping occurs.

Fixed side-chain filters not working in Gate block.

Fixed a filter in the Wah block not being initialized.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Thank you so much, I love my axe fx3 and you guys just making it better, thank you so much

Beta58 is hypercardiod, SM58 is just cardiod, they serve 2 different purposes, especially concerning potential monitor feedback. I personally also prefer the beta, Shure KSM9 is my all-time favourite vocal mic (and also a condenser). But frequently have great results with a SM58, so hardly a "shitty" mic in my opinion.

SM57, which is basically a SM58 without foamfilter, hence an instrument mic, has been surpassed by so many other great alternatives in the same price range, it has totally lost it's relevance in my opinion - except for the occasional mic'ing of gtr-cab as a secondary microphone.

I would have to say that Shure is a completely bogus microphone company with the sm7b on vocals being whey too overrated to an absurd degree as you say
I was working in a Music Store when I see all this hype with the sm7b. Was a Shure dealer among others …

So, one day, someone in YouTube, probably a djent metal vocalist or I don’t know, sang with a sm7b in a music video. And then everyone want it ! And then you saw all the metal scene singing with a sm7b 👍🏻. So, some people begin to ask this mic in the shop, this mic that look like a broadcast mic and cost 3 times the price of a beta. The first time I tried it, I believe it was broken. No gain at all. I tried it in a mixer first. Then I tried it in a soundcard that didn’t had enough gain for it 🤣.
We look each others with my boss at the time, like « we… will sell that? »
And you know what ? Everyone that purchase this mic came back in the shop for level problems, or « can you please refund or I take something else? » 👍🏻.

Yes sennheiser mics are globally great . To capture my cab I use the e906 everywhere . This is my « sm57 ».

The SM57 has been the acme of micing for almost as long as cabs have been miced; especially for touring on the west side of the pond, so its got to be included on most of the cabinet models, especially as it is the right color crayon for many classic tones (or less than classic, but what we're comfortable with on stage). An SM57, along with an M160 and a KM84 or the like: you should be able to load the bases, and get the runs in.

Years ago I got a Beyerdynamic M88. On a cab it gives me everything I'd want from an SM57 plus more breadth and articulation. A studio owner I know regularly wows his clients by micing their coveted cabs with a FET47. SM7b and RE20 have a storied legacy as well. So, while we all have our special favorites, the FAS factory offerings ace it at covering the essentials. Perhaps down the road, FAS will add more, and third party vendors will go nuts with extended possibilities, and I look forward to being entertained by this: I personally will likely be more than satisfied with what's in the box, but I would reach further afield for a Hiwatt 4x12 with cast frame Fanes, and I'd be delighted if Fractal can come up with a jaw dropping "Ideal" full range bass cabinet that is more of a chameleon than the signature sound of the established standards.

I just think it's more a speaker issue. Once speakers started being made with bad quality magnets and other low grade materials, that's probably when people started using their 57's as darts into their drywall.
In addition to many other mics becoming useless on them aside from maybe using a ribbon or maybe blending them in with something else. But as it stands, may as well try to make an IR of a person scratching a chalkboard because it probably won't make it much worse. 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom