Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS- I was thinking how a few weeks ago the Legacy cabs sounded so good. I had to remind myself that they still sound good; Dyna-Cabs sound better and they offer more control, but if I’m pressed for CPU I can regain some by going old-school and using my favorite Legacy cabs.

Same here. We'll have the best of both worlds to choose from.

I wonder if there will also be customized factory presets with the official 22.00 version and the Dyna Cabs?
Probably not for a bit as they still have another dozen cabs to go
So likely a few more betas
No one is updating presets while they are all working on an official launch of Dyna Cab
After that perhaps

Updated my Bagpipes Patch for this firmware. It is NOT using DynaCabs yet as I wasn't able to make it sound noticeably better with them just yet.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bagpipes-patch-updated-for-axefx-iii.156151/

Added patch for Firmware 22 beta 7 on April 11, 2023

Removed a block that was not doing anything and made some tweaks to make it sound right for this firmware version.

Have fun!
Incredible. I didn't have my FXIII back then. Thanks for the patches. Can't wait to try

Ok now I get the « they are scooped » comment in the other beta. It’s true that when you play some times with the dyna, and go back to the legacy irs, they have more mids.

If you want to do the test, try one of the OH IR in the axe, the Mesa cabs, and then Try the Mesa cab in the dyna . What can it be 🤔, the mic preamp they use while doing IRS? EQ? But the difference in the mid section is huge yes

Last edited:
Ok now I get the « they are scooped » comment in the other beta. It’s true that when you play some times with the dyna, and go to the legacy irs, they have more mids.

If you want to do the test, try one of the OH IR in the axe, the Mesa cabs, and then Try the Mesa cab in the dyna . What can it be 🤔, the mic preamp they use while doing IRS? EQ? But the difference in the mid section is huge yes
Glad I am not the only one to notice this. I usually refrain from most comments because I assume I am just nuts. It is easy to compensate for, but the initial impression is definitely 'scooped' sounding. That being said, I feel the same about most IRs, especially 412 cabs.

I don’t hear scooped per se. I’m assuming it’s a 57? Many add a ribbon or off axis 57 to add some low end or warmth. Why we need an off axis dynamic hint hint…

I've barely been able to play since the alternate Dyna Cab pack was made avialable. I must say, the SM7 is fantastic as a pair, where you use different positions on the same cab, with different levels and time alignements. This mic is pretty goddamn awesome, and it might be the one I would use on its own most often if it were available. I don't know if you plan to make this so you can only load one Dyna Cab set, or if you'll have other sets we can load, but I'm really curious to see where this goes. This makes the decision for me very tough between the SM7 and SM57, because of course the SM57 pairs so well with the condenser and the ribbon.

Ok now I get the « they are scooped » comment in the other beta. It’s true that when you play some times with the dyna, and go back to the legacy irs, they have more mids.

I thought the opposite. I actually cut mids.

That was the first thing I noticed when comparing legacy cabs to dyna-cabs.

So....I finally had some time to mess around in depth with the Dyna Cabs. I briefly tried one initially to see how the mic positions worked and was waiting for the rest of the cabs before diving in further but curiosity got the better of me.

I know I'm late to the party but I see why people are saying they're a game changer, I'm completely amazed at how different they sound and feel compared to the Legacy IRs. I used the Hot Kitty with the Condenser and Ribbon mics, hard panned L/R, the AC-20 with the Dynamic mic, dead center and positioned the mics to get as close to the tone of the three legacy cabs I normally use. Using the three Dyna Cabs increased the CPU usage @ 4% on the Axe III Mark 1.

The overall tone was very similar but the difference in response and feel was very noticeable. I played on the Dyna Cabs for a couple of minutes then switched back to the legacy cabs and they just felt flat. Not at all what I expected nor what I really needed to hear, lol. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any confirmation bias so I had my wife listen. She has an audio background and has learned a lot about tone over the years so I trust her ears. Without telling her what to listen for, she had the same reaction.

The Dyna Cabs feel and sound so much more 'open' and had more upper frequency response, more 'chime', that I'm not sure if I can really convince myself to wait for the rest of the speakers/cabs to be added. As I type this, I know the answer is no. I'm going to be using the Dyna Cabs and see if any of the additional cabs are closer to what I normally use. For now, the tone is close enough that I'm not going to sweat it, these Dyna Cabs will work just fine.

I find the Dyna Cabs to, by almost default, sit very well in the mix. I really don't need to do much with the guitar tone EQ-wise more than tailoring the low mid a bit.

I don’t hear scooped per se. I’m assuming it’s a 57? Many add a ribbon or off axis 57 to add some low end or warmth. Why we need an off axis dynamic hint hint…
No, even without 57 or with 3 cabs at the same time with different mics

You do your best sounding combinaison with the dyna, and when you go back to one of the stock IR, you realize the lack of mids .

I thought the opposite. I actually cut mids.
To make them sound similar ( between a OH Mesa Ir of the unit and a combinaison of dynacab) I had to turn the mid of the amp to zero where it was at 5, and it is not enough ! You need to add a 5 band eq and put down the mids . Maybe it depends of the irs don’t know 🤷 but as I use Marshall and Mesa cabs everytime, I just compare what I know the most

No, even without 57 or with 3 cabs at the same time with different mics

You do your best sounding combinaison with the dyna, and when you go back to one of the stock IR, you realize the lack of mids .
Show the people a frequency graph of both? But there are other vendors for those cabs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom