Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Soon”. 😂
go back to then GIF

Now?

When I tested I was working from a single channel, with three instances of the same IR. It was about 3%.

Possibly, adding additional IRs will add more CPU load.

Describe your methodology and let’s figure out how to estimate the load.
The CPU bounces between these two numbers:
In Axe Edit A totally blank preset shows 4.8 CPU.
With nothing in a preset at all, adding a dyna-cab block shows:
One Dyna-cab showed 11.4 CPU to 15.2 CPU.
Two Dyna-cabs showed 17.2 CPU to 20.8 CPU
Three Dyna-cabs showed 23 CPU to 26.5 CPU
Four Dyna-cabs showed 28.7 CPU to 32.5 CPU

Methodology:
I started with a totally blank preset, which shows 4.8 CPU.
The numbers above show the CPU with nothing at all in a preset except a cab block.
So if you subtract the 4.8 that is there with nothing in the preset here is how much CPU is actually added:
One Dyna-cab raised the CPU by 6.6 CPU to 10.4 CPU
Two Dyna-cabs raised the CPU by 12.4 to 16 CPU
Three Dyna-cabs raised the CPU by 18.2 to 21.7 CPU
Four Dyna-cabs raised the CPU by 23.9 to 27.7 CPU

Last edited:

Methodology:
The numbers above show the CPU with nothing at all in a preset except a cab block.
So if you subtract the 4.8 that is there with nothing in the preset here is how much CPU is actually added:
That seems very different than what others have posted... Interesting.

Methodology:
On an FX3 Mk II I'm seeing:

DD058FF1-EBDD-48F4-BF15-ADAF782F8B31.jpeg

The Avg. column is the increase in CPU processing compared to a single IR Legacy cab as I add Dyna-Cab IRs to the block.

The initial increase for a single Dyna-Cab IR is 2.75% above a Legacy cab. Adding additional Dyna-Cab IRs to the block adds ~5% per IR.

My take-away is we should use the first IR wisely, picking the one that sounds closest to our desired sound, adjust the mic position and sound as necessary, and try to avoid adding additional IRs for blending. As always, using our ears, not our eyes, will probably be a wiser choice.

An Excel version will be attached later.

PS- I was thinking how a few weeks ago the Legacy cabs sounded so good. I had to remind myself that they still sound good; Dyna-Cabs sound better and they offer more control, but if I’m pressed for CPU I can regain some by going old-school and using my favorite Legacy cabs. The audience probably won’t be listening.

Last edited:
That seems very different than what others have posted... Interesting.
Try it yourself using the same method that I did. I was using an Axe FXIII MK1, (Not a turbo.) One other note. Preamp and Room/air in the cab block were turned off for my tests. Maybe it is slightly different depending on which dyna-cabs you are choosing and which mics? I don't know. Whatever the case, I know I had to delete 3 blocks from my main preset to compensate for the extra CPU being used with the dyna-cabs to keep the flashing warning light from coming on. Getting good sounds but, I'm waiting for the final release to start re-doing all my presets.

Last edited:

Methodology:

Yes, relative to a blank preset, a full dynacab block will add about 25%. But that's not what Macfly is asking. He's asking the more relevant question of how much the cpu load is relative to legacy mode. With all 4 slots occupied in the cab block, that delta should be about 3%.

Yeah I STRONGLY suggest exploring the sounds you get with the mic further from the cab. Really controls the lows and opens up the highs in a pleasing way. The ribbon mic in particular sounds fantastic further out from the speaker.
Another trick is to leave it on cap and lower the ribbon mic level. My go to used to be a 57 cap edge and a 121 cap but enough level to add low end.

Yes, relative to a blank preset, a full dynacab block will add about 25%. But that's not what Macfly is asking. He's asking the more relevant question of how much the cpu load is relative to legacy mode. With all 4 slots occupied in the cab block, that delta should be about 3%.
Thanks for pointing that out. I just tested again today and I'm seeing 5% increase between them in Axe Edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom