Axe-Fx III Firmware 2.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracking works fantastic! I don’t do much stuff with pitch tracking really, but had a Sub n’ Up and a POG, as they were the only units that felt overly useable but they obviously sounded like an effect

The new tracking doesn’t sound (or feel) like using an effect, which is about the highest praise I can give for it.

I play at home, and have lots of guitars, so I’ll still use ones tuned a specific way, but this update really provides so great versatility and a lot of cool new tone potential.

Getting an update like this, with some massive new features, is a great reminder why the III was worth every penny I spent. Already was straight out of the box honestly, but then when you get some seriously updates features, it’s just “wow......love this product and company” lol

Testing the improved whammy in firmware 2.00. Amp model is not really djent friendly : it's the Dumble ODS-100 HRM. Recorded with a .Strandberg* 0riginal 7, my first 7 strings, received two days ago.

A 7 strings guitar is something completely new for me, and besides that, what I play here is sometimes terrible, my apologies ! my picking hand is almost dead so all I can do is tapping to compensate...

Apologize for nothing sir, it sounded great!

There were a couple minor bugs. Beta 2 is close to release quality. One reported issue with input meters that we can't reproduce and there's a typo in the Pitch block GUI.

Hi Cliff,

I just sent a dropbox link to fractal support via email trying to show the issue. Preset one which it boots to has a number of global blocks. I can send the preset and any other info you need if helpful

(Also sent preset and system files)

MM

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,

I just sent a dropbox link to fractal support via email trying to show the issue. Preset one which it boots to has a number of global blocks. I can send the preset and any other info you need if helpful

(Also sent preset and system files)

MM

I don't have access to that email and I don't use dropbox because it is not secure.

If you remove the global block links does the problem go away? What is the CPU usage? It sounds like you might have excessively high CPU usage which will make the meters unresponsive.

I don't have access to that email and I don't use dropbox because it is not secure.

If you remove the global block links does the problem go away? What is the CPU usage? It sounds like you might have excessively high CPU usage which will make the meters unresponsive.

CPU usage is 87% so it is high but it had never done it before. And the interesting thing is that after about 3 minutes It looks like the input meters start to respond as does the midi (which is also initially slow to respond) . Almost as if the program is still loading. I'll check the global blocks thing as well

CPU usage is 87% so it is high but it had never done it before. And the interesting thing is that after about 3 minutes It looks like the input meters start to respond as does the midi (which is also initially slow to respond) . Almost as if the program is still loading. I'll check the global blocks thing as well
That is too high. There is background stuff going on that finishes after a few minutes. Once the background tasks finish the GUI thread has more resources available.

IOW, this isn't a bug, your CPU usage is too high.

That is too high. There is background stuff going on that finishes after a few minutes. Once the background tasks finish the GUI thread has more resources available.

IOW, this isn't a bug, your CPU usage is too high.

Probably would be a good idea to somehow indicate a warning that cpu usage is so high, that it may cause malfunction somewhere, like in this case.
So... Since Axe 3 screen is colored, the minimum can be done is to paint the number in Red, when over 80 percent.

Probably would be a good idea to somehow indicate a warning that cpu usage is so high, that it may cause malfunction somewhere, like in this case.
So... Since Axe 3 screen is colored, the minimum can be done is to paint the number in Red, when over 80 percent.
such a warning does exist in Axe-Edit III... not in front of unit at the moment, can’t remember if one is there too or not.

I'm having no luck with the pitch shift, 2.0 beta 2. I get a lot of latency no matter what I do. I created a new preset from an empty slot, added input, pitch, amp, cab & out blocks in that order. Set the pitch block to virtual capo, detector to input 1 (a little better than block) & even with shift set to 0, I get a lot of latency, more than I could deal with & still play tight with a band or track. If I set the shift to -1, it gets worse. I have tried setting the tracking to various levels between 0 & 10 & the latency never gets any better. There has to be something wrong since everyone else seems to love the new pitch shift. I can't come close to a useable setting. I have had the same issue on previous firmwares on the III & the II. Any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks!

I'm having no luck with the pitch shift, 2.0 beta 2. I get a lot of latency no matter what I do. I created a new preset from an empty slot, added input, pitch, amp, cab & out blocks in that order. Set the pitch block to virtual capo, detector to input 1 (a little better than block) & even with shift set to 0, I get a lot of latency, more than I could deal with & still play tight with a band or track. If I set the shift to -1, it gets worse. I have tried setting the tracking to various levels between 0 & 10 & the latency never gets any better. There has to be something wrong since everyone else seems to love the new pitch shift. I can't come close to a useable setting. I have had the same issue on previous firmwares on the III & the II. Any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks!
FWIW, i had a similar (i think) issue on 1.19 beta - several days after i have installed it i might add. Unit reboot did not help. I had to update the firmware again to the same 1.19 beta and the issue disappeared

“Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware (IOW your presets will not be altered). “
So, do we need to go back and change all the presets to the new perameter?
I’m not sure what’s going on here, and what/ when is optimal.
Could you expand on this please? Thanks

Pitch shifting necessarily adds latency. Pitch shifting is a perceptual process. It requires a reasonable amount of history to work. This adds latency. Typically 20ms and up. Some people are more tolerant to latency than others. I've compared the latency of our algorithm to other products and ours is equal or better but there is latency in any pitch shifter.

All pitch shifters have tradeoffs. The lower the latency the more prone they are to tremolo artifacts, double transients and other issues. Solving those issues increases the latency and the computational burden. The only pitch shifting algorithm that has negligible latency is the "Rollers" algorithm but that requires insane amounts of CPU and the samples I've heard aren't impressive. It also has its share of issues (smearing, chirping).

“Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware (IOW your presets will not be altered). “
Could you expand on this please? Thanks

"IOW" means "in other words". So your existing presets will sound exactly the same as they did before. If you want to take advantage of the new Speaker Compliance parameter then adjust it to a value that sounds/feels good to you. Start at 50% as this is the default.

Pitch shifting necessarily adds latency. Pitch shifting is a perceptual process. It requires a reasonable amount of history to work. This adds latency. Typically 20ms and up. Some people are more tolerant to latency than others. I've compared the latency of our algorithm to other products and ours is equal or better but there is latency in any pitch shifter.

All pitch shifters have tradeoffs. The lower the latency the more prone they are to tremolo artifacts, double transients and other issues. Solving those issues increases the latency and the computational burden. The only pitch shifting algorithm that has negligible latency is the "Rollers" algorithm but that requires insane amounts of CPU and the samples I've heard aren't impressive. It also has its share of issues (smearing, chirping).

I understand the pitch shift will create latency. It's just I am not hearing any noticeable improvement from previous versions on the III or the II. I added a mono delay with 100% mix to try and estimate the amount of latency I'm getting & it's at least 35ms. I would also say listening with headphones, it sounds like there is a doubling effect. I initially thought it was me hearing my strings acoustically but it's not. I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong here, not complain.

“Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware"
it says existing presets will be unchanged.

since existing presets are unchanged, if you want something to be changed, then you'll have to change it.

you'll have to decide what's optimal. do you like your presets as they are now? then you don't need to do anything. do you want to try the new parameter? then try it out and decide if you like it.

this approach to updating is highly desired - we get the new things, but our current sounds and presets don't change. that allows working musicians to update without fear of suddenly sounding different at the gig in 1 hour after you update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom