Axe-Fx III: Carry Case / Gig Bag Options and Ideas

I have the same case for my Kemper, I like it a lot better than the deep case that allows you to extend a handle and roll it like luggage (although, if I was gigging my preferences would be reversed). I don't care for the latches as much but as long as you aren't savage to them I imagine they will hold up.

The stand is dope - I handn't seen that but I might pull the trigger on one of those.. great post!

By the way, this is why you should care about how sturdy your rack case is when you check it in at the airport.

The_Scream.jpg

Stay away from these puppies. Just ordered one in anticipation and the handles on my XL+ are too long to fit in the lid. You can get it closed but it doesn't seal properly, and it pushes on the handles. Very disappointed because the dimensions and build are otherwise very nice. Crazy that the lower grade Gators have sufficient clearance. The SKB equivalent is HUGE, too. Good protection, but not as portable. Back to the drawing board.
View attachment 45100
Dude i use this case with my XL+ and have had no issues with sealing it up? Handles do not touch in mine.

Dude i use this case with my XL+ and have had no issues with sealing it up? Handles do not touch in mine.
The issue isn’t with the handles; it’s with the extra-thick bezel on the Axe III, combined with the extra-wide lip on the Roto Rack lid. If you measure the inside of the lid, you’ll see that there’s just a bit less than 19” of open space. With the usual sheet-metal faceplates on most gear, this requires just a little extra force to close the lid. But with the Axe III’s additional bezel, it’s a no-go unless you cut away some plastic from the lid.

I got the on stage rs7000 as I saw previously on the forum and it works perfectly with the shallow skb 4u case tilted up. The only issue is I have to use output 2 instead of output 1 to have it centered. Or I have to plug my guitar in the front instead of back. With output 2 used, it can be centered. Due to the shallowness of the rack it is super super stable. I made sure the furman was on top so the center of mass was lower and all my wires run down and are velcro’ed at the bottom so if I pull on them, nothing really happens. I can even put a music stand over it and see everything all at once. I’m gonna look for a clip on minimalist music stand that I could do instead of be normal stand too.

Depending on the speed of the song changes, I could even use this live with no floor board other than 2 expression pedals (which fit in my guitar bag). I’m gonna buy a small midi pedal like the morningstar for portability but still will enjoy the Axe FXIII propped up with the display like this. It is absolutely perfect height for me on the tallest setting. I’m 6’2” and the screen is about waist level.
58FA20F7-D101-498F-87D1-B8BB830EAAD9.jpeg 5BA36D05-66DA-4D29-A1DA-B56739B4C614.jpeg

Last edited:
Did we decide on a hard case that fits the AxeFxiii with no modifications needed to the lid? Any recommendation on a surge protector/power coditioner to put in the rack as well?

I just picked up the Gator GRR-6PL-US. I know this isn't the smallest case but with the wheels and the extra space it fits my needs perfectly. There are no mods necessary to fit AxeFX III and it comes with a power conditioner. It also comes in a 4 space model (with power) for those who don't want to add an amp, wireless, tuner or other gear, and its only a few inches longer than the short rack cases, which allows for cabling and even adding short rack gear in the back. LOVE this case.

Did we decide on a hard case that fits the AxeFxiii with no modifications needed to the lid? Any recommendation on a surge protector/power coditioner to put in the rack as well?

Since I have FXIII now I can tell you that the SKB 1SKB-R4S 4U and 1SKB-R6W both fit without modification.

From what I understand the SKB 1SKB-R4S 4U has a rackable depth of 10.70 in (27.18 cm). The Axe-Fx III is 11.530 in (292.87mm) deep. Does that mean the back of the Axe-Fx III protrudes from the back of the case, but the lid can still be closed without touching the Axe-Fx III itself? I assume there needs to be no cables connected to the Axe-Fx.

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand the SKB 1SKB-R4S 4U has a rackable depth of 10.70 in (27.18 cm). The Axe-Fx III is 11.530 in (292.87mm) deep. Does that mean the back of the Axe-Fx III protrudes from the back of the case, but the lid can still be closed without touching the Axe-Fx III itself? I assume there needs to be no cables connected to the Axe-Fx.

Thanks in advance.
Axe-Fx III is 11.530 inches deep if you count the front handles. If you don't, it's under 10 inches. It'll fit in there just fine.
Just under 10" from the mounting face of the faceplate to the edge of the jacks.

Hello everyone , very new here , I am waiting my axe fx 3 in 10 days . I want to buy the skb shallow 4u , to put the axe and a matrix. Will I have any temperature problems with this setup in a way that I will need an extra 1 u rack that keeps the temperature low ?( i dont remember what is the name of this unit )

I use a Gator 4u shallow rack (Axe + power conditioner) and it fits perfectly with room left over in the back to keep it plugged in to the power conditioner when the lids are on.

Hello everyone , very new here , I am waiting my axe fx 3 in 10 days . I want to buy the skb shallow 4u , to put the axe and a matrix. Will I have any temperature problems with this setup in a way that I will need an extra 1 u rack that keeps the temperature low ?( i dont remember what is the name of this unit )

Anyone ?

Back
Top Bottom