Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 8 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found some recordings of an old band where I used a Splawn QuickRod. I made some irs with the cab I used with Splawn Small Block speakers. It sounds so close now.
Nice! Are you able to share the IR's? I'd love to give them a try, cheers.

Thank you! So, that clean voiced dirty tone comes from the model alone, no additional drive block nedded and even at almost default settings. I cranked gain some. Nice cab arrangement, instant combo tone.
Thanks! I use those cabs quite a bit. Something about the Matchless mismatched speakers is magic. Yep, no drive needed for the base tone.

It's been said before, however, I'd like to say a simple thanks to Cliff and team. Your dedication and constant efforts to improve this device is truly amazing. There is simply no other manufacturer in the music equipment industry that I have ever seen that comes close to this level of support and commitment to improvement. I cannot wait to try this new FW. Cheers all!
I cannot agree more. I'm very new to the Axe stuff after recently jumping the boat from Line 6 but the pace and dedication from @FractalAudio towards their Axe-product is simply stunning and absolutely incredible compared to Line 6 (I'll name them because they are the only other modelling company I've had some sort of know-how regarding their stance on updates).

Huge thanks to you Cliff from a very impressed newcomer!

HAHAHA! Feel free to use that excuse. :) I had to forego my bluesy chops, so here's a clip using a Tele with the Prince Tone AA964 with an 808 in front and a little Spring Reverb on the back end. I LOVE how Cygnus lets you hear the "stringy" attack of a Telecaster.

The York audio Princeton IRs are available at York Audio if your chomping at the bit for the sound heard here

The York audio thread isn't updated yet but I saw them on the site and grabbed them.

The Friedmann Bis and HBEs aren't sounding wright for me.
Here ist a comparison:

Cygnus sounds fuller no doubt, but there ist some fuzziness. Hard to describe.

The Friedman amps haven't sounded right to me for a while now. They sound hollow like they are missing some key frequencies. Maybe just all of the other amplifiers improved so much that they are now weak in comparison.

The Friedman amps haven't sounded right to me for a while now. They sound hollow like they are missing some key frequencies. Maybe just all of the other amplifiers improved so much that they are now weak in comparison.
Coming to it blind, that first clip sounds better to my ears. Fatter low mids, less fizz on the high end. It's definitely different and if you don't like it, that's personal taste, but I really dig the Cygnus sound.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing Cygnus to older FW is that our brains are predisposed to thinking familiar sounds are "better" than unfamiliar ones. It's totally subjective either way, of course, but I think it helps to be aware of our cognitive biases when making these comparisons. (We also tend to think louder sounds are better, so make sure you're listening to thinks that sound equally loud!)

Great stuff. Here's Joe Bonamassa interview going really in depth on Tweed Twin and his speaker choice, settings, etc.

But I thought he used an Axe Fx! Just kidding. Perhaps one day he will make the switch.
I saw this and that joke he made a long time ago where he took a picture of the AxeII and said he's been lying to his fans all these years. I guess not everyone thought it was just light humor.
I went to Guitar Center because I was desparate for a cable and saw a Helix rack in there. I asked the guy what he thought about them and he started saying they're all great (Helix, Kemper AxeFx) and then he said "If it's good enough for Joe Bonamassa it's good enough for you." I just giggled, paid for my cable and left. I'm not getting into this conversation, I thought to myself. : )

HAHAHA! Feel free to use that excuse. :) I had to forego my bluesy chops, so here's a clip using a Tele with the Prince Tone AA964 with an 808 in front and a little Spring Reverb on the back end. I LOVE how Cygnus lets you hear the "stringy" attack of a Telecaster.

Dude can can you share that preset? Also, which one of your IR packs is that cab included. That seriously sounds mix ready.

Brit800 Mod and the Tweed Twin have been big surprises for me on this FW.
Same here! The only new preset I made (which is going to become my go to for quick sessions) has tweed twin for clean, plexi50#1 for crunch and brit800mod for power and lead. Just glorious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom