Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a file showing the "buzzing" I'm hearing that sounds like cone cry to me, not ghost notes. You'll hear it best at 24 seconds in when I add a 2nd drive stage. This sounds less like my real HC30 (pictured below, that I've had for my #1 for 6 or 7 years) than prior FW's. FW16 Beta 4 doesn't do this. And, I've never had that buzzing noise with my real amp with similar settings, or even more aggressive settings.

Are there settings in the model I can change to get rid of the buzzing without losing the character of the breakup?

View attachment 79978

For several years before I got into modelling, my amp was the Ceriatone DC30 clone of the real Matchless - so I too know what that amp does / does not do ....... never ever did it generate anything even resembling your audio sample - even your beta 4 example is like nothing my amp ever generated regardless of setting or what I fed it.

Ben

For several years before I got into modelling, my amp was the Ceriatone DC30 clone of the real Matchless - so I too know what that amp does / does not do ....... never ever did it generate anything even resembling your audio sample - even your beta 4 example is like nothing my amp ever generated regardless of setting or what I fed it.

Ben
Agreed.

Here's a file showing the "buzzing" I'm hearing that sounds like cone cry to me, not ghost notes. You'll hear it best at 24 seconds in when I add a 2nd drive stage. This sounds less like my real HC30 (pictured below, that I've had for my #1 for 6 or 7 years) than prior FW's. FW16 Beta 4 doesn't do this. And, I've never had that buzzing noise with my real amp with similar settings, or even more aggressive settings.

Are there settings in the model I can change to get rid of the buzzing without losing the character of the breakup?

View attachment 79978

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be listening for. All I hear are tons of delay and reverb making analysis impossible.

You have the real amp. Make a recording of that compared to the model without all the effects so we can try to figure out what you are hearing and diagnose it.

Last edited:
If the Fender models are now biased on the hot side, don't I need to worry about the reliablity of my virtual power tubes? My Axe FX III is out of warranty after all. :D

This update sound fantastic, by the way. The Cygnus version of the CCV is just pure raunchy awesomeness.

Reactions: arw

View attachment 79978

I hear lots of what sounds to me like an overdriven amp and/or pedal with lots of delay before it, so it trashes out a lot.
Also, that clip is really really loud relative to everything, you may be overloading other points in the chain.

I hear lots of what sounds to me like an overdriven amp and/or pedal with lots of delay before it, so it trashes out a lot.
Also, that clip is really really loud relative to everything, you may be overloading other points in the chain.
This ^

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be listening for. All I hear are tons of delay and reverb making analysis impossible.

You have the real amp. Make a recording of that compared to the model without all the effects so we can try to figure out what you are hearing and diagnose it.
I tried to exaggerate the issue with the delay and reverb. And unfortunately, I can’t isolate the amp at home to be able to play it at gig volume. There’s clearly and unpleasant buzzing/clipping riding on top of the signal in the Beta 5 clip. At this point, I’m just going to stick with Beta 4 and hope this gets fixed in a later release.
Nope, there’s no overloading going on in the signal chain. My inputs into the Axe don’t even tickle the red and the input into Logic was at -12dB via USB.

I tried to exaggerate the issue with the delay and reverb. And unfortunately, I can’t isolate the amp at home to be able to play it at gig volume. There’s clearly and unpleasant buzzing/clipping riding on top of the signal in the Beta 5 clip. At this point, I’m just going to stick with Beta 4 and hope this gets fixed in a later release.

Nope, there’s no overloading going on in the signal chain. My inputs into the Axe don’t even tickle the red and the input into Logic was at -12dB via USB.
You may be right about no overload, but honest, that clip really loud, somehow.

Might as well take a look at meters view too, and make sure no blocks are overloading, which can happen even if the final output level is ok.

And as an experiment, move the delay(s) after the amp. You might not want to leave them there, but any amp/OD pedal will blow out with a complex signal like that, give you lots of high-frequency hash. I'd only do that for tones with less gain than that, or if I wanted that effect, some of Achtung Baby comes to mind for instance.

Not sure if it’s user error or what, but I’ve noticed that my expression pedal hooked up to Pedal1 is no longer able to be assigned to controllers (ie: whammy, wah). Is this a possible bug in the Beta or just something I’m doing wrong?

You may be right about no overload, but honest, that clip really loud, somehow.

Might as well take a look at meters view too, and make sure no blocks are overloading, which can happen even if the final output level is ok.

And as an experiment, move the delay(s) after the amp. You might not want to leave them there, but any amp/OD pedal will blow out with a complex signal like that, give you lots of high-frequency hash. I'd only do that for tones with less gain than that, or if I wanted that effect, some of Achtung Baby comes to mind for instance.
I’ll double check, but I’m only running two amps in stereo and a stereo cab block. The drives, delay and reverb are from an analog pedalboard I run in stereo into the Axe (which how I run the real amps except in mono).

Just got done comparing some real amps to Cygnus and all I can say is WOW! I got nearly perfect matches for my 5150 and Dual Rec by just copying amp settings. Cygnus even matches the “ugly” parts of the real amp, which was actually the most impressive part of the comparison. FWIW, I really like the authentic MV taper. It actually made it easier for me to match the amps.

For the Recto 1 fans, Recto 2 is surprisingly close to my ‘96 Rev G, so don’t be afraid to dig into that model.
I made a comment a while back how the Axe Fx is so realistic now it models things I don’t like about Tube amps. Lol

There’s clearly and unpleasant buzzing/clipping riding on top of the signal in the Beta 5 clip. At this point, I’m just going to stick with Beta 4 and hope this gets fixed in a later release.
I listened to the clips 3 or 4 times last night and like Cliff mentioned it is hard to know what one is supposed to be hearing. While it is is clear to you, I must confess it isn’t to me and I don’t hear much of a difference listening for buzzing / clipping. Could you post b4 vs b5 with just amp and cab without the delay and reverb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom