Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you recreate the problem when it's just guitar > Axe-Fx and the preset is just an AMP-CAB block pair in the grid? Otherwise there's too much in the signal chain to debug this.
I'll have to try that, and instead of pedals I'll have to crank up the preamp. But in the two clips above the only change was the FW, so you can effectively rule out my pedalboard, guitar, cables, etc... It's definitely in the FW.

Sorry man, yeah that’s what I’m getting at... it’s same preset, same settings, with amp block refreshed for the new firmware. it’s breaking up completely differently, and fuzzy now.

I rolled back to 15.01 but couldn’t get my last backup to load, so I’m at Beta 4 now and like the amp in Beta 4 so much better than Beta 5.

I’ll try to capture a recording today if I have time

Instead of rolling back to older firmware, you could try a different amp or different settings. That is how that amp is supposed to sound in real life

Last edited:
Instead of rolling back to older firmware, you could try a different amp or different settings. That is how that amp is supposed to sound in real life

Newer firmware = reality splash on the face

Sometimes reality sucks
I did try different amps... the AC20 (which I've owned IRL), the Liverpool and Rocket. I still own an HC30 (pic below), and it was my #1 amp, used every week, for almost 7 years (until I got the Axe III last January). It's my desert island amp, and it certainly DOES NOT sound like that in real life, haha.

I'm sure there's a setting that will help get rid of the buzzing, but other than turning down the gain (which I don't want to do) I'm not sure where to tweak. I think the ghosting on Beta 4 was better, so rolling the gain back on Beta 5 will have even less ghosting.
IMG_1396.JPG

Last edited:
Wish: Would it be possible to choose the default bypass state for blocks. I hardly ever use the "Thru" bypass state in the amp block, so every time, I reset the block, I have to go and switch the bypass state back to mute. With delays and reverbs, I would also greatly prefer them to default to 'mute FX in'.

I realize that this would probably not be easy to implement.
Can we trade Axe III's? The blocks on mine default to 'Mute Fx In' and I need to change them all to 'Thru'.

Except it's not and it's useless to anyone else trying to use this to debug because you need all the surrounding bits to hold everything constant.
Fair point, but the first clip in this thread, posted by someone else, exhibits the same buzz to some extent. I suspect it will be easy to recreate without my pedalboard variables... but it shouldn’t matter what’s driving the amps if the model is a faithful recreation of the real thing.

Holy crap that dude needs a massage.

Anyway there is a kind of lingering high frequency buzz in many amps, which I suspect is continuously being developed on and doesn't actually sound bad most of the time.
The DC-30 is on the non-verified list and probably shouldn't make much buzzy stuff being class A, or nearly most of the time. It's awesome on the tweed deluxe, bf deluxe, trainwrecks and plexis, which very much have that effect cranked in real life more or less along with the weather.
MkIV and 5153 do not have it, or not in the useful volume range I've been able to detect in any of my presets.
I can't check every amp since I get bored or tired and I am not a beta tester so I don't know if there's an ongoing check or discussion.

The nice thing about Fractal is, if you find an amp that you don't like there are so many more to choose from. I don't get fixated on any particular amp. I just find one that sounds good to me. Make's life so much easier.
in beta 4 there was a problem with 5150 III red, someone noticed it and now it’s fixed.
I can check. I have mkIIc+ and a jp2c.

Yes please 👌🏻

There's a mistake in the Friedman BE/HBE models. I fat fingered the bias recovery value. Instead of entering 'e' I entered '6'. The correct value for the bias recovery is 2.23e-3 but I entered 2.236-3.

For now you can set the Preamp Bias Excursion to zero.
Funny this.
I managed to get a very good tone out of these anyway.
I just turned on the bright switch, changed the cap to 220, raised the bias and adjusted some basic settings in the authentic page....
So even with an amp that's not correctly modelled, you can get a great tone by using your ears.
Who would've thought :p

Funny this.
I managed to get a very good tone out of these anyway.
I just turned on the bright switch, changed the cap to 220, raised the bias and adjusted some basic settings in the authentic page....
So even with an amp that's not correctly modelled, you can get a great tone by using your ears.
Who would've thought :p
Same with the 5150 III with a bug I found a nice tone, and the jmp and JP2c not controlled yet in 5 sounds good .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom