Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked v14 over v15. And I think Cygnus is better than both. YMMV but if you are happy with v15, stay there! Or sell your III and buy the 4 or 5 amps you listed as being so difficult to dial in. Life is too short. Was talking to guy the other day who is only 72 and dying from cancer. He didn’t mention any regrets about not spending more time bitching about modelers vs amps ...

For certain genres, perhaps thrash metal for example, the more polished sound of 15.01 may be more desirable for some individuals.
To me some of the best thrash tones are very raw, and Cygnus represents that rawness perfectly. My favorite example of pure thrash is Twisted Into Form by Forbidden, where they used modded 2203s (if I remember correctly), and it’s one of my favorite rude and raw guitar tones, as it hits my ears. Very different from the equally awesome but completely different and completely polished thrash tone on Horrorscope by Overkill, on which they used MP1s into Carvin power amps for the rhythm tones. I love both albums, but the Forbidden tone itself is just filled to the brim with feel and personality.

I’ll echo what some others have already voiced, that it’s right for the models to be as raw as the raw, unprocessed amp. You can process the hell out of anything in about ten seconds after the fact, but of course if you start with a processed tone, you can never quite regain that rawness (no pun intended).

My favorite example of pure thrash is Twisted Into Form by Forbidden, where they used modded 2203s (if I remember correctly), and it’s one of my favorite rude and raw guitar tones, as it hits my ears. ... the Forbidden tone itself is just filled to the brim with feel and personality.

+1000
The crown jewel of the genre IMO. I don't always want to chug, but when I do, I want the tone of the Out of Body chug riff.
Growing up in the Bay Area in the 80s was so much fun.

man, I dunno how anyone over here is saying the high gain stuff is sounding bad; I'm a 2000% metal pure, installed it an hour and a half ago, and this has been the best 90 minutes of my
life lol. granted, I'm not really into the 5150s or using a shit ton of gain (my preset is a low gain, mid heavy fas modern III + ts808 mod clean boost through a stereo ownhammer recto IR), and I guess playing around I can see how the difference would be a turn off for some people, but it's just like....everything is so much more responsive now.

a huge tell for me is this: I use fishman modern hums, and up until now whenever I've been in practice mode I've had to stick to the passive voicing; with the active one it's harder to be mindful of pick attack and hone in on the micro nuances that help build up accuracy in that area, cause for my ears it's just a tad too bright. now though, that isn't an issue; I feel like I can dig in harder and still get a defined sound that I can really shape and mold to my liking.

so I guess that would be would be my suggestion to my fellow metal-ers: just fuck around with your palm mutes a bit, loosen up your hand, maybe lower your gain, try to space out your notes a bit. cause the chug thing cliff originally mentioned when he was first talking about the update....10000% a thing.

it is soooooooooooo good lol

+1000
The crown jewel of the genre IMO. I don't always want to chug, but when I do, I want the tone of the Out of Body chug riff.
Growing up in the Bay Area in the 80s was so much fun.
Dude, listen to that song again and tell me Russ Anderson doesn’t say, in the most aggressive tone: “Lost my earthly butthole!”

That riff right before the solo trade off in Step by Step... I get ready to destroy things just thinking about it.

That means you were there during the Golden Era. Consider yourself envied. Despite my tastes I was out of time; my first show was in Virginia, Sepultura on the Chaos AD tour, and it was horrible. I kept waiting for songs from Arise and Beneath the Remains, but everyone had moved on from thrash by then, and I was left with metal you can dance to, which is always bad sign.

I got to see Forbidden by complete chance in Portland, OR when they reunited for the Omega Wave album, and I had the great luck to talk to Craig Locicero for a while at that show (that’s where I learned what amps they used for Twisted Into Form). I couldn’t believe I was talking to one of my biggest heroes. He was magnanimous with my million questions and just completely cool.

3) I'm having to turn down the speaker compression to 0 to regain a bit more clarity that I enjoyed with 15.01.
Did you make sure to level when comparing?

I thought the speaker compression was causing issues too, but then I gain matched it with it off and compared and the speaker compression sounds great.

It seems that the level changes more dramatically now with the poweramp modelling changes.

With the new firmware, when playing with headphone and studio monitor, I much prefer the "SS PWR AMP +CAB" mode compared to the "FRFR" mode, the former just feel more dynamic and punchy, even though headphone and studio monitor are more akin to FRFR...

Anyone else compared these two modes yet? :)

By the way, remember to adjust the level when comparing the two modes, as the SS PWR modes does increase the level by 2~3 db.

1614056960705.png

@State of Epicicity In 8th grade my dad took me to see Slayer on the Seasons In The Abyss tour, with Testament opening (Souls of Black was their current record).
All the buttrockers were thrilled to see a yuppy dad and his kid in line as they praised and hailed satan and told him how cool he was. So fucking funny to me now and the show was astonishing.

I lost two hours last night playing around with the Band Commander and some effects. King of Tone, OCD, Plex delay, reverb...

Did this amp model get updated? I don't think I even care. This sounds SO good. I always used to get annoyed with some of the gushing posts on here, but the III has just completely won me over. If the III had just the Band Commander, MK IV, Atomica High, + all the FX, I'd still buy it.

👾👾👾👾👾
👾👾👾
👾
🐡

i want to see the 5150 block , savage , rectifiers, soldano, carvin legacy, Marshall slash , These are the ones difficult to tweak .

These amps are super mumumud-dy.

Having played or owned most of these amps I tend to disagree.....with the exception of the rectos and legacy, I don't find them muddy at all

Matter of fact, I saw a couple Leon videos where I think he left the soldano and 5150 at stock settings and was getting killer tones

You can also just scoop frequencies around 200-400hz or so, cleans up mud on any amp, or use the tubescreamer trick in front

What kinda guitar are you using? Sometimes it may be the guitar and not the amp...also check your pickup height

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom