Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legacy: did you try both models? They are very different and require very different tweaks to the tone stack.

AFD: AFD mode of 34 mode?

FAS models an amp, measures the amp and compares the measurements to the model. There's no reason to think that the FAS model sounds different from the real amp that FAS has modeled.

There are so many reasons why a YouTube clip can sound different, better or worse.
Yes I tried both legacy . But as I see some videos the original is horrible . So now I understand . Then ok that’s YouTube and whatever ... but in the afd video you got tons of gain and bass presence you don’t have in the axe modeling

Yes I tried both legacy . But as I see some videos the original is horrible . So now I understand . Then ok that’s YouTube and whatever ... but in the afd video you got tons of gain and bass presence you don’t have in the axe modeling

The Legato model is based on Steve Vai's actual personal amp (VL100).

The Cali Leggy model is an early model, different, but with quite radical tweaks (read my guide) it can sound pretty great.

I believe the Carvin has made three versions of the Legacy, and that Vai wasn't fond of them all.

Personally, I've always disliked the hi-fi sound of the Legacy. Also when I heard him play live. IMHO his best sound was during his DLR period (Bogner?). Doesn't take away that in my eyes he's the best technical player that ever lived.

Last edited:
Boss DS1 plays a huge roll in Vai's tone and considering that he used modded Marshalls and a Bogner Escstacy for Passion & Warfare you might start there. Then you should look at his Pultecs and 1176 which are very, very crucial tone shapers.
Carvin Legacy was "inspired" by the Ecstacy to begin with, shaped for Vai's needs which are truly specific to him. Everyone else that plays any variation of that amp leaves out the DS1 and isn't Steve Vai, so there's that massive divide.
He's also known for using whatever is nearby and sounds good, which is probably everything when he's playing it.

The Legato model is based on Steve Vai's actual personal amp (VL100).

The Cali Leggy model is an early model, different, but with quite radical tweaks (read my guide) it can sound pretty great.

I believe the Carvin has made three versions of the Legacy, and that Vai wasn't fond of them all.

Personally, I've always disliked the hi-fi sound of the Legacy. Also when I heard him play live. IMHO His best sound was DURING his DLR period (Bogner). Doesn't take away that in my eyes he's the best technical player that ever lived.

I don't think he had the Bogners for DLR, I know he used Steve Stevens Marshalls on Eat 'Em and Smile and maybe a Jose modded marshall on Skyscraper.
I read an interview where he said the Whitesnake album is all a Soldano, and maybe he used that rig on Passion and Warfare as they were done at the same time

But as always, what they say they're using might not be what actually ended up on tape

Boss DS1 plays a huge roll in Vai's tone and considering that he used modded Marshalls and a Bogner Escstacy for Passion & Warfare you might start there. Then you should look at his Pultecs and 1176 which are very, very crucial tone shapers.
Carvin Legacy was "inspired" by the Ecstacy to begin with, shaped for Vai's needs which are truly specific to him. Everyone else that plays any variation of that amp leaves out the DS1 and isn't Steve Vai, so there's that massive divide.
He's also known for using whatever is nearby and sounds good, which is probably everything when he's playing it.
Vai uses a TS OD too.

I think he boosts DS1 with TS.

I don't think he had the Bogners for DLR, I know he used Steve Stevens Marshalls on Eat 'Em and Smile and maybe a Jose modded marshall on Skyscraper.
I read an interview where he said the Whitesnake album is all a Soldano, and maybe he used that rig on Passion and Warfare as they were done at the same time

But as always, what they say they're using might not be what actually ended up on tape
Yes these guys got so many gear , you never really know in the end

Rent an AFD, compare it to the Axe-Fx III and then do your talking.
I wish I could try a real one one day ... here is 3000e in second hand 🙄. He plays with jubilee most of his career , one of my favorite Marshall head ever tried . But yes I got trouble with the afd in the axe , I wish to have the sound of the guy in the video ... “so buy a Marshall stack and a les Paul! “ ok ok. I m waiting for this one

I suggest stop chasing the purple dragon and find your signature tones instead. The tones you're talking about especially regarding Slash are raw "bare metal" tones that change with the weather but are dominated by the tone of the player's attitude, fingers and pick technique.
You are always going to sound like you so try to make tones that enhance that.

I do originals don’t worry , but I love to have the sounds of artists while doing covers. Yes , in the use your illusions for example , the dist is scooped , got a lot of gain . A sort of metal sound yep . That’s why I like it 😅

I got troubles with the legacy head too. As i have Steve’s sound in my head , I m pretty disappointed with his signature head modeling
Hey mud

Steve Vai's sound..! On record? Or live?
You never hear his amp through the cabinets. There's a l w a y s a mixing desk that has its own abracadabra going on. There's EQ, there's one or two compressors and who knows what, to tame the raw sound of the amp.

That's also, what I thought, when Gary Westin made a comparison between the II and the III. It brought a big grin on my face:
for the lulz, fired up the ol axe fx 2 XL+, same amp, same setting, using external IR, the difference is comical between the 2 and 3, if you just listen to the 2, it's fine... but as soon as you have a frame of reference with the 3, it's not, it's such a huge difference, very good job Cliff.
I thought: that's how I would hear the amp, if I would stand before the cabinet and listen...
Someone said, he liked the sound of the II better. It was snappy, for my ears less organic, but somewhat more clear.

When the amps models are more accurate, they have to be treated like the real amps, means EQed, compressed etc. to sound like we are used to hear them.

By the way: since last wednesday I'm a proud owner of a III, sent to me by G66 - had an Ultra and a II and could now afford the 'new' dream machine. Was really excited about the Cygnus treat and have downloaded the Beta. Just l o v i n g it!

Sure . Even if I can sound picky sometimes I am happy with the 3 and do a lot of commercials to friends or my subscribers community. Still don’t have downloaded the beta .

Last edited:

Yeah, you may be totally right. I was guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom