Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe just pickups too close to the strings, PAFs shouldn't be that hot. If you have them set really high, lowering them will also improve dynamics.
Pups are adjusted to whatever the generally suggested standard is (22mm on the low end 18 on the high or something like that)

Edit: I was way off on measurements, obviously, and even what a mm is. I'm about an 1/8 of an inch or 3mm on the low side, which is more than the general starting point recommendation, which is half of that. (and I'll happily move this to DMs or start another thread for it at some point, since it's obviously not directly beta related)

Last edited:
I do not agree. Tone is at the gear. Expression and soul is at the fingers.

You cannot replace a particular piece of gear with a set of fingers. No fingers can get the tone of the JP-2C full-throated with a Twin Reverb. However, some skilled players can mimic the expression of other players.
Some aspect of tone - the end result of what a guitar sounds like - is definitely in the fingers though. 2 players with the same guitar and rig can sound different when it’s just the person changing.

I do not agree. Tone is at the gear. Expression and soul is at the fingers.

You cannot replace a particular piece of gear with a set of fingers. No fingers can get the tone of the JP-2C full-throated with a Twin Reverb. However, some skilled players can mimic the expression of other players.
When I see "tone is in the fingers" I generally see it applied to amps that are not completely disparate, as an explainer why 2 players on the same rig sound nothing alike tonally.

But these differences are what is called "expression" or "execution", not exactly "tone", although they give a character to the tone. If these differences not existed, all players would sound the same, as far as they have the skills to execute the notes.

I believe that it is better to differentiate with a different name, so we know how far we need to adjust the gear until everything is up to the fingers

e.g. In a piano, ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff will produce a sound with a different characteristic, but we better call it "dynamics", not "tone". Tone would be the difference between a Steinway and a Yamaha piano, or playing the same Steinway with the lid closed or open. The same applies to playing a guitar with different pick attack, Vegemite at the hands, etc

When I see "tone is in the fingers" I generally see it applied to amps that are not completely disparate, as an explainer why 2 players on the same rig sound nothing alike tonally.
I’ve watched multiple talented guitarists (David Gilmour, Joe Walsh, Steve Vai to name but a few) pick up a random guitar into whatever amp is in front of them — and it unmistakably sounds like them...

I’ve watched multiple talented guitarists (David Gilmour, Joe Walsh, Steve Vai to name but a few) pick up a random guitar into whatever amp is in front of them — and it unmistakably sounds like them...

Exactly. I just mean that saying someone isn't going to sound the same on a Twin and a high gain Mesa isn't exactly what's being talked about when people say it.

I think Tone means the entire resulting sound. Not just specific instrument qualities.

That is up to us. But if we do not differentiate, how can we know where is the line between tweaking the Axe-FX and adjusting your playing?

It sounds like them, of course, because it is their expression technique, but what we hear is not the same tone (unless you are tone deaf)

David Gilmour sounds like him both with the EMG SA pickups or with the passive pickups. But it is not the same tone!

He cannot use his fingers to make the red Strat with EMG sound like the black Strat with Fat'50/SSL-5 or the Les Paul Goldtop with P90

If we do not note that difference, why do we need the Axe-FX III? Just plug into a pignose and use your fingers :p

Otherwise, delete the section of this forum dedicated to search for tones, and replace with a "THE TONE IS AT YOUR FINGERS" banner 🤓

Last edited:
David Gilmour sounds like him both with the EMG SA pickups or with the passive pickups. But it is not the same tone!

He cannot use his fingers to make the red Strat with EMG sound like the black Strat with Fat'50/SSL-5

If we do not note that difference, why do we need the Axe-FX III? Just plug into a pignose and use your fingers :p

Otherwise, delete the section of this forum dedicated to search for tones, and replace with a "THE TONE IS AT YOUR FINGERS" banner 🤓
Ooooooor... continue to abide by the "tone is in the fingers" saying in the hope that people understand why presets they download don't sound the same when they play through them as they do when the person that uploaded them did. That's all it's meant to communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom