Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh ? Completely the opposite for me. Tube amps sounded different everytime I plugged in. And you keep them on for a while and the feel changes as the tubes cook. The axe-fx sounds the same everytime.
Even worse. My Mesa Mk IV sounded amazing at home but in the venues we play with varying power supplies and other factors (ie beer lights, etc), the tone varied so much it became hard to manage. That’s the whole reason I tried the fractal Ax II years ago and then played Ax8 for a few years. The Ax modelers simply work. They sound consistently good in any room with any power supply. It doesn’t much matter to me how close they get to the real tube sound. For anyone that plays in a band with drummers, keys, etc., you can seldom hear your own amp well enough to really tell the difference. So, for me, it came down to having a practical solution that sounds consistently great in any situation. When I tweak at home, it often doesn’t sound that great to me because I have to tweak to cut and sound good on stage. The only thing I really tweak after getting a good working tone is the levels of the effects so they don’t dilute the basic tone.

Not sure how related these two are but I have to assume there’s something going on between them;

As far as things sounding different one day to the next, about 3 weeks ago I experienced that much more than I normally have. I knew it was just me and not anything else. Everything was incredibly shrill and thin, like I couldn’t hear lower frequencies. At the end of that week I woke up one morning and could hear/feel my heartbeat in my left ear. I didn’t think much of it, but it came back that night...and every morning and night since. After getting checked out by the doc, blood tests and all that, it’s looking, right now, like I’ve got pulsatile tinnitus.

So I have to wonder how much of what I was hearing the previous week, with all the shrill treble, was related to the tinnitus. It’s associated with hearing loss, so it’d make sense. This was the first time I got genuinely scared in regards to my ears. I tend to record/jam/mix fairly loud and that’s coming years after playing in loud ass metal bands. No more of that, I’m babying these things for the rest of my life.

Even worse. My Mesa Mk IV sounded amazing at home but in the venues we play with varying power supplies and other factors (ie beer lights, etc), the tone varied so much it became hard to manage. That’s the whole reason I tried the fractal Ax II years ago and then played Ax8 for a few years. The Ax modelers simply work. They sound consistently good in any room with any power supply. It doesn’t much matter to me how close they get to the real tube sound. For anyone that plays in a band with drummers, keys, etc., you can seldom hear your own amp well enough to really tell the difference. So, for me, it came down to having a practical solution that sounds consistently great in any situation. When I tweak at home, it often doesn’t sound that great to me because I have to tweak to cut and sound good on stage. The only thing I really tweak after getting a good working tone is the levels of the effects so they don’t dilute the basic tone.
My experience as well. I had a nice rack rig with an ADA MP2 and a 50W per channel Marshall power amp. It would sound great at one gig and then sound thin and anemic at another. I got into modeling because the other guitarist in the band had a Line6 AxSys 212 that sounded pretty good consistently.

I woke up one morning and could hear/feel my heartbeat in my left ear. I didn’t think much of it, but it came back that night...and every morning and night since. After getting checked out by the doc, blood tests and all that, it’s looking, right now, like I’ve got pulsatile tinnitus.
Damn, that sucks.

I keep occasionally hearing my breathing off and on in my left ear as a low-pitched wind-rushing sound. Wonder what fresh hell that forebodes. I had problems with vertigo last year traced to an inner ear issue the audiologist found by blowing hot air from his hot air blowing machine into one or the other ear and having me report how I felt and follow the location of a red dot in the dark. Vertigo sucks....

• Sad
Reactions: jon
Damn, that sucks.

I keep occasionally hearing my breathing off and on in my left ear as a low-pitched wind-rushing sound. Wonder what fresh hell that forebodes. I had problems with vertigo last year traced to an inner ear issue the audiologist found by blowing hot air from his hot air blowing machine into one or the other ear and having me report how I felt and follow the location of a red dot in the dark. Vertigo sucks....

My wife deals with that, also has an issue with her inner ears. Her mother has terrible hearing issues and had a hearing aid by the time she was in her mid-40’s, a few years back I started noticing my wife asking me to repeat myself often and over the last 5 years, the vertigo stuff has gotten worse. It seems to have backed off in the last year, but she had a period where it would hit her randomly; standing up, riding her bike, looking down, etc.

I’ve heard what you described being brought up in regards to tinnitus, seems there’s several forms of it. I’d definitely keep a ear on it and be mindful of volumes! Seems once people start having ear issues, they don’t really fix themselves.

/ Off topic on /

i just read something about the irs in the quad cortex : it seems that moving the mic in the cone is not just a eq cheat, but a combinaison of hundreds of irs in the user interface and moving the mic blend them etc . Is that not interesting to include it in the axe, something more friendly than scrolling 1000 irs ? I really don’t care about this product, but this feature is interesting .

/off topic off/

Same thing happens for me with amps. If I switch to my Mesa preset from Soldano, it sounds too bright and fizzy. But if it's the first one I hear in a session it sounds great.

I get the same thing, takes a few - 10 minutes or so for me to adjust. Have to resist the temptation to turn knobs.

Yes it’s what I ve read too . I believed it was just a fake eq filter that does the job but ... hm hm .
I believe it does linear interpolation between a large library of IRs of the same speaker. Not a bad idea.

Personally, I tend not to care very much about IRs. I have sounds a few ones that work for me and I just tweak the amp using them. Works for me.

/ Off topic on /

i just read something about the irs in the quad cortex : it seems that moving the mic in the cone is not just a eq cheat, but a combinaison of hundreds of irs in the user interface and moving the mic blend them etc . Is that not interesting to include it in the axe, something more friendly than scrolling 1000 irs ? I really don’t care about this product, but this feature is interesting .

/off topic off/

It's a different method of scrolling between 1000s of IRs, you're just choosing between different IRs at different positions with the mic position instead of from a list. Fully left on axis is one IR, 1cm to the right is another, and so on, then including the off axis variations. Then wherever you drag your little mic is just choosing which position to lookup, and the angle is which angle to find your IR from the set.

The downside is that all those dozens of IRs are the same speaker, where the Axe includes a huge variety of speakers with a couple captures each.

It's a different method of scrolling between 1000s of IRs, you're just choosing between different IRs at different positions with the mic position instead of from a list. Fully left on axis is one IR, 1cm to the right is another, and so on, then including the off axis variations. Then wherever you drag your little mic is just choosing which position to lookup, and the angle is which angle to find your IR from the set.

The downside is that all those dozens of IRs are the same speaker, where the Axe includes a huge variety of speakers with a couple captures each.
Which means all those IRs of the same speaker consuming all the IR slots in the device. Which in turn means less choice in IRs.

Which means all those IRs of the same speaker consuming all the IR slots in the device. Which in turn means less choice in IRs.
What if it was built into AxeEdit? They could possibly off-load most of the factory cab storage to AxeEdit, and allow just the IR mixes used to be loaded to the AxeFX3, which would free up a lot of wasted space. The IRs used with factory presets would be loaded in the AxeFX, leaving the unused ones out, as they would all be included with AxeEdit. This could allow control over them, too, so reduction mix IRs could be made with factory IRs, to save CPU bandwidth....

I don't get that. It's not like the factory banks contains tens and tens of IRs of the same speaker/mic combination. To be able to interpolate, you must have some multiple actual reference positions, not just a single one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom