Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still "Fuzzy"... The only thing I do is to set the Low Cut in the preamp section, as the BE one... It's the only way to make the HBE models sound right.
I don't want to downplay your opinions and I don't have or want a Friedman, I don't care for them, so here's some observations:
HBE has so much useless fuzzy gain, like all Jose mods. BE is obviously gonna be more useful overall and still has a ton of gain. It feels like an alternate 5153 blue vs. red cosmic dilemma.
Use the headroom meter to keep the master volume sane. These amps sound absolutely terrible with power amp distortion to me, all boxy and weird.
All modern preamp distortion amps want a low cut or tubescreamer/horizon/whatever in front, except maybe the Archon or MKII/IV. If using the low cut does it for you then it seems like you're golden.
Rocks grinding together is a cool sound.

I don't want to downplay your opinions and I don't have or want a Friedman, I don't care for them, so here's some observations:
HBE has so much useless fuzzy gain, like all Jose mods. BE is obviously gonna be more useful overall and still has a ton of gain. It feels like an alternate 5153 blue vs. red cosmic dilemma.
Use the headroom meter to keep the master volume sane. These amps sound absolutely terrible with power amp distortion to me, all boxy and weird.
All modern preamp distortion amps want a low cut or tubescreamer/horizon/whatever in front, except maybe the Archon or MKII/IV. If using the low cut does it for you then it seems like you're golden.
Rocks grinding together is a cool sound.
It’s funny you mention this because I’ve found myself preferring the BE over the HBE for both higher gain and lower gain tones.

Yeah, which both the real amp and the model, I'd use only the BE and just boost it for more gain. HBE was over the top.

Reactions: jon
The BE/HBE in an interesting animal. Every time I pull it up, I immediately have to turn the Depth down to around 1.85 to get rid of the 200 Hz mud. Turning the Depth Frequency down to 100-120 Hz makes it a little more usable and cleans up the woofiness nicely.

The Friedmans sound really good to me, better than before in my opinion.
Is there anything patently off with the factory presets for the HBEs? I soft reset the amps and tried some personal eq/gain adjustments and really struggle to find a sound I like with them. I thought they were decent in 15 but agree with others that to me at least they don’t sound right in Cygnus (first amp I don’t like in the update). Maybe I need to adjust negative feedback or the high cut or something as others suggest, maybe I don’t like Friedman’s or maybe something is not right with the update?

Is there anything patently off with the factory presets for the HBEs? I soft reset the amps and tried some personal eq/gain adjustments and really struggle to find a sound I like with them. I thought they were decent in 15 but agree with others that to me at least they don’t sound right in Cygnus (first amp I don’t like in the update). Maybe I need to adjust negative feedback or the high cut or something as others suggest, maybe I don’t like Friedman’s or maybe something is not right with the update?
Increasing NFB is the most immediate change aside from reducing depth. Increasing power tube grid bias helps solidify the mids and squishy feels can be altered with the master bias ex knob and speaker dynamics.
Otherwise use something else so you can maintain maximum joy with minimal effort. ¯\(ツ)

I just did my usual setting stuff on the BE1 and they are right there like I like an amp to sound and I don't like fizzy flubby amps. Before, to me they were muddy and bassy.
I have the cut switch on and brought the bass and depth down to 4.5 each and treble and presence up a hair and a Shimmer drive on 3.25 and a bump in the mids because my ir's are a bit scooped. its a beast!

Finally had a chance to start dialing in my amps again and the ones I do have, holy moly...

The new speaker compression is amazing I can actually feel the string as a pluck through it. Hard to describe but the feeling of going through the string now matches the sound you hear almost like an acoustic guitar, really amazing stuff.
Most my values are 3000-4000 ms now so those messing around try raising it from default.

Also hard to describe, but I've been playing since I was 4 and about 8 years ago switched to modellers. Since then I've been chasing something in the feel that never well... felt right. I knew I couldn't afford the amps and efx that I would want for my tone so modellers were the best choice, plus it made recording way easier. However, this disconnection made me feel almost like I wasn't as quick as I used to be and made me spin off into a rabbit hole. Anyway enough about me... Today, that disconnection was fixed (or connected if you will) playing along to a backing track I really got lost in the moment and after I was in a bit of shock as to how well I can actually play again.

I don't know what sort of wizardry you pulled Cliff, but whatever it is you nailed it. 10/10

This is a Hairy Friedman I just came up with and its a high gain made through a couple CLRs cranking. Big four ir goes in cab 1 and big 5 goes in 2 because there is a little alignment in there. I have an unusual sound I think mainly from my ir's, let me know what you think and if there is something you might suggest. Thanks

Attachments

• FRIEDMAN HAIRY BROWN EYE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 47
  • BIG FOUR-mix 2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 43
  • BIG 5 MIX SCOTT SNOW.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom