Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup :)

Here is a little Savage clip. Even though it has as much gain as you want,, I was playing around with the new Shred drive input boost with a couple of models and for shits and giggles dialed this up with a little less gain than normal and a little hit of the shred drive and got this raw, gritty, bitey, chunker. it's a little less focused than I normally use for the Savage,,,but at the vol I was playing at,,it was making me smile so,,,,yeah :)

MOSHON
DAVE

that is huge sounding

The Petrucci Red Shred is badass. I just never cared really to explore this amp that much, but it really is just dangerous sounding; disciplined but unprincipled is how I'd put it. 😈

The Petrucci Red Shred is badass. I just never cared really to explore this amp that much, but it really is just dangerous sounding; disciplined but unprincipled is how I'd put it. 😈
No wonder I relate to it so much!

I just had an incredible gig last Saturday using Beta 10. The guitars were just slaying on nearly every song.

Loaded Beta11 up today. Just Wow!

I’ve been tweaking Fractal knobs since 2008 chasing the elusive tone and feel that just jumps out of this thing now.

I’ve had many different tube amps and ridiculously huge rack systems through the decades and I can honestly say that I’ve never played through anything that sounded better or was more fun to play.

Thank you Cliff!

No wonder I relate to it so much!

I just had an incredible gig last Saturday using Beta 10. The guitars were just slaying on nearly every song.

Loaded Beta11 up today. Just Wow!

I’ve been tweaking Fractal knobs since 2008 chasing the elusive tone and feel that just jumps out of this thing now.

I’ve had many different tube amps and ridiculously huge rack systems through the decades and I can honestly say that I’ve never played through anything that sounded better or was more fun to play.

Thank you Cliff!
I have a show on Friday and am wondering if I want to take the rack with my AF3. I would have to redo my pedalboard as it currently has my FM3 on it. I was really hoping we would have a Cygnus beta on the FM3. First world problems.

Kudos to Fractal. I have an old Mesa Mark III (with the giant power transformer that had been upgraded to a red stripe) that was out to Mesa for repairs. Just got it back and it sounds fantastic again. Switched over to the IIC Bright Deep model and dialed it in the same way with the same cab. There's just no way I could reliably tell which is which if blindfolded.
My sound originated with my blue stripe MKIII, I can get my MKV super close to it... on the axefx I like to use the MKIIC++ with one of the VH IRs and it responds and feels like the real thing to me.

OK, so now that AxeEdit shows what is going on, I think I have a better understanding of the new speaker dynamics.

Heating the voice coil raises the resistance, and since a tube amp is to be viewed mostly as a current source, raising the resistance raises the voltage and thereby the output volume. Is this sort of correctly understood?

Is Speaker Compliance the place to look, if you want to simulate something like a Celestion blue that struggles to produce really loud transients at near max output, so the full output is slightly delayed?

I think some of the issue users are having with the HBE is the amount of “grinding 2 rocks together” as its been described sound. It can get a bit overbearing as high gain gets more and more distorted. The sound is incredibly realistic and 3 dimensional. What I personally noticed is the inability to tame it. Wish we had a knob or fader to dial this back a bit on certain amps. Overall I do think its more beneficial than not, but there are definitely times you may not want such detail. I’m not saying we should go back to the sounds of the universally hated red kidney bean, but we may have passed the point of a happy medium with realism here. I loved some of my old digital gear like my Rocktron Chameleon. Now the premise of an AxeFXIII is a guitar amp modeler and maybe the right answer is if you like older digital gear and sounds, buy that gear. I can definitely understand one box and one firmware cant be expected to do absolutely EVERYTHING. Some will win, some will lose, some are born to sing the blues...........

Cliff mentioned something way back, many posts ago, likely in the first Cygnus public beta. He said if you want less of the Cygnus effect, do this... can’t exactly remember... I think it was rolling back the tube bias to be less hot...

Edit: I found it! Two settings, “reduce Master Bias Excursion or any of the individual bias excursion parameters” and “increase the Power Tube Grid Bias. Try around 0.6 to start.”

See the last two paragraphs of this post:
Post in thread 'Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gnus-firmware-public-beta.170253/post-2051686

Last edited:
Cliff mentioned something way back, many posts ago, likely in the first Cygnus public beta. He said if you want less of the Cygnus effect, do this... can’t exactly remember... I think it was rolling back the tube bias to be less hot...
It was master bias excursion

For the HBE it was turn up the Negetive feedback and i think reduce bias exc as it has crossover distortion happening by design

I increased nfb and bias, left excursion be and set the speaker dynamics around 2.6 and I think it sounds nice with the AX v30 cab.
V1 sounds best to me, which if I remember is the position of the bright switch.
Beware the amp block level as I run spdif out with the output 1 volume at 9 o'clock.

Attachments

• 008_Friedman.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
OK, so now that AxeEdit shows what is going on, I think I have a better understanding of the new speaker dynamics.

Heating the voice coil raises the resistance, and since a tube amp is to be viewed mostly as a current source, raising the resistance raises the voltage and thereby the output volume. Is this sort of correctly understood?

Is Speaker Compliance the place to look, if you want to simulate something like a Celestion blue that struggles to produce really loud transients at near max output, so the full output is slightly delayed?
I was messing with speaker compliance last night and I would describe it more as how stiff the speaker is (lower = stiffer). Speaker compression is how hard it will squash your transients. Time constant will determine how quickly it recovers.

I increased nfb and bias, left excursion be and set the speaker dynamics around 2.6 and I think it sounds nice with the AX v30 cab.
V1 sounds best to me, which if I remember is the position of the bright switch.
Beware the amp block level as I run spdif out with the output 1 volume at 9 o'clock.
Still "Fuzzy"... The only thing I do is to set the Low Cut in the preamp section, as the BE one... It's the only way to make the HBE models sound right.

Last edited:
I was messing with speaker compliance last night and I would describe it more as how stiff the speaker is (lower = stiffer). Speaker compression is how hard it will squash your transients. Time constant will determine how quickly it recovers.
That's not really how I would describe the new speaker compression. It doesn't really feel like, it is really squashing much. But a transient will heat up the coil and bring up the decay - unless I am completely missing something

That's not really how I would describe the new speaker compression. It doesn't really feel like, it is really squashing much. But a transient will heat up the coil and bring up the decay - unless I am completely missing something
Yeah I too won't describe it like that...it's more like bacon sizzling just right (I'm a veg 15 years now but I remember that smell well 🤣)

It feels more spongey, more airy than before

I gave the HBE models a whirl just now.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of the real amp but haven't played one in years. I remember with the real amp, immediately finding the HBE to be too gainy and fizzy but liking the BE well enough (but not as much as just a normal 2204).

Anyway FWIW the new BE/HBE models seem pretty much as I remember the amp. But I don't know what the models sounded like before.

The models seem to get fizzier/fuzzier from V1 to V2 to V3. I just ran everything at 5 except I kept the master out of clipping (whatever setting that meant), which is how I used it way back when. I don't remember the amp I used having a depth control, so I just zeroed that, which cleared up the tone a lot.

Yeah I too won't describe it like that...it's more like bacon sizzling just right (I'm a veg 15 years now but I remember that smell well 🤣)

It feels more spongey, more airy than before
I wasn’t trying to make a general description, but rather help another poster who was specifically asking about which parameter to use to achieve the transient response he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom