Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys, I apologize if this has been answered in earlier cyguns betas; just thought more about this, but do you need to reset the amps to take full advantage of the updated changes of cygnus? If so, how do you do that? Do you just select a different amp, and then select the amp you originally used? Does that keep the amp settings intact? I’m currently on beta 4. I appreciate it 🙏🏻
It is stated in the release notes that resetting is necessary because of changes in the code. How to reset is covered in the wiki, among other places.

To summarize: Simply reselecting the same amp model in the editor does a soft reset. In the unit, reset by selecting a different amp then reselecting the original. Do that for each channel that uses a different model.

I’d recommend reading the actual documentation to understand what a hard-reset does and when you want to do it.

In any case, you might need to tweak the settings. In my experience most presets sounded better without touching anything else after the soft-reset. Some needed minor volume or tone adjustments.

Last edited:
I’ve never liked the sound of distortion pedals because they don’t have those nuances, I like cranking the tubes and transformer and pushing the speaker until it can’t keep up and they all distort and that changes as the note decays. Fractal models them all and that’s why they sound so good.
Do you ever use the input boost in the amp block?

Do you ever use the input boost in the amp block?
Sometimes. Depends on what I need.

It’s not a drive block though, it’s just the tone stack of a drive on top of a boost, which is why I like it. It’s basically the same as a drive with no gain or distortion and its output volume cranked, like how many Klons and Tube Screamers are used, but without the CPU overhead of a drive block. Saving CPU cycles is what I’m all about. Save the electrons!

But honestly, how many more "it sounds amazing" and "when is the final release coming?" posts do we need? The latter of which by the way is what led to the whole tech tangent anyway.
I blame Cliff for this. If he’d release the next beta we wouldn’t be milling around like walkers in an abandoned shopping mall looking for something to chew on.

I also blame the virus. We have cabin fever.

Cabin fever and lack of sufficient beta caused it all.
There. I said it.

It's OK, we can only read "Is it Friday yet" so many times before rambling around in a crazy Cygnus fever dream.

View attachment 80656
Until I retired, I use to operate these buggers on a daily basis...what fun eh?!

To the guy that is under the impression that Santa only works in December...So wrong dude!
Santa is like Cliff,...always working behind the scenes getting the presents ready for us good boys and girls!
Cheers!

well , I have done my 453 546 comparaison today between my recording possibilities
trying to do the best sound possible between the 3 options

1/ real JP2C + internal cabclone
2/ real jp2C + torpedo captor
3/ axe fx 3

and this is the axe fx 3 that seriously wins . the sound of it in the latest beta is really, really good , i know it s not updated, but i hope that the final release wont be so much different than that .
So i can proudly say that concerning recording, the axe is my best solution .
then I have played maybe 2 hours with the real head and cab , and it sound perfect too , but to have this sound in a record with the real head .... I have 5/6 mics , but I probably wont have this sound .

It is stated in the release notes that resetting is necessary because of changes in the code. How to reset is covered in the wiki, among other places.

To summarize: Simply reselecting the same amp model in the editor does a soft reset. In the unit, reset by selecting a different amp then reselecting the original. Do that for each channel that uses a different model.

I’d recommend reading the actual documentation to understand what a hard-reset does and when you want to do it.

In any case, you might need to tweak the settings. In my experience most presets sounded better without touching anything else after the soft-reset. Some needed minor volume or tone adjustments.
Thank you so, much for this info! I will look into this on the wiki. If I could ask, if I do it on the front panel by selecting a different amp, and then the same one, or any soft reset for that matter, does this change the amp settings too?

Have the Fractal models changed a lot with Cygnus? I have not updated yet from the last FW15 as I have to finish a contract and don't want to mess with things until it is done.

I keep reading that they have changed in tone and it doesn't sound as good.

Honestly, I find this hard to believe....I'd rather hear it from users here.

Anyone?

Have the Fractal models changed a lot with Cygnus? I have not updated yet from the last FW15 as I have to finish a contract and don't want to mess with things until it is done.

Anyone?
To me the models are better! I've read through the threads for each beta, and really the consensus I've gleaned is that most users feel that Cygnus is a big improvement. A few models have had bugs, like the 5153 Red, e.g., but that was corrected. Personally I felt that 15.01 was just perfect, but I wasn't comparing it to any real amps, just my feeling as a player. But when I installed Cygnus I was just blown away, and I wholeheartedly feel that Cygnus is better. It's really in the low end. The SLO100 was the first thing that hit me as completely improved, then many other models.

Anyone?
Globally it is just better . Cleans and crunch are way better, amps sound more like tube amps, the amps I dislike in 15.01 sounds good now... In 15.01 the sound is more easily tight in high gain, maybe that’s why some guys complain . But it sound more “synthetic” and thin in 15.01. More boxy and compressed, I won’t turn back . Just try it yourself that’s the best way to have an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom