Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are huge mistakes that can cost lives and a lot of money. My biggest mistake so far has been to get married :D
Marriage isn’t usually a mistake. Just need to work at it every day. Every time my wife gets mad, I think it’s cute. We’re on our 39th year. I only bring this up, because I have a have a bunch of guitars. For example, a 1961 and 1967 Gibson. They aren’t perfect all the time, but sometimes they are fabulous. I love them, and won’t ever let them go.

Marriage isn’t usually a mistake. Just need to work at it every day. Every time my wife gets mad, I think it’s cute. We’re on our 39th year. I only bring this up, because I have a have a bunch of guitars. For example, a 1961 and 1967 Gibson. They aren’t perfect all the time, but sometimes they are fabulous. I love them, and won’t ever let them go.

At practice one night, my wife commented that I've had more guitars than I've had wives... I said yes but my guitars keep getting better. People chuckled and I slept on the couch for a few nights lol... ;)

I got about a 1/3 of the way down and said 'Permissions' out loud.

I work for ADT. There were similar 'challenges' in LDAP, and we're about to do SSO, so waiting for another long week or so of catastrophes.

Woo hoo.

And, oh, the shit we talk about in between the F5 button.
Actually, during the time of that incident I had already migrated our environment from NIS to OpenLDAP (still providing NIS schema)... Because we were hitting the boundaries of NIS size limits.

It was (and still is) heavily automated based on netgroups and custom NIS tables. Instead of updating hundreds of scripts, I wrote replacement versions of the yp* commands that query LDAP and "translate" the data to appear the same as the "native" commands.

It was supposed to be a temporary solution until we could retrofit the automation but they worked so well that they are still in place today. :)

At practice one night, my wife commented that I've had more guitars than I've had wives... I said yes but my guitars keep getting better. People chuckled and I slept on the couch for a few nights lol... ;)
One night my wife asked me “just how many guitars do you need?” I responded by saying one more than I have now. The next day she bought me two PRS custom 24’s. No lie. She also supports my need for all things Fractal. Today is our 28th anniversary. Needless to say, she was a keeper.

I did something similar, only I did a chown -r . from / as myself on our main database host, then realized what I'd done, freaked, called our sysadm and told him and he started laughing, and laughing, then said "It's fixed." Journaling on the OS is wonderful.

LOL! One of the guys on my team accidentally left out the . before the / on this command and took out our QA server:

chown -r web:web ./* should have just chowned everything in the current directory (a web server folder), but without that dot....

Things still worked for a little while, but started malfunctioning spectacularly after a bit. My department head was pretty hot about it, but I flat told him that with the lack of deployment automation tools available to our team, an error like this was a when and not an if, and that he should be glad it was just a QA server. I refused to chew out the person responsible, and instead called a team meeting in which I mentioned the importance of going just a little slower and being sure of things before hitting the enter key. It did win me some time to work on more scripted stuff and I was working on a way to remotely deploy code to the servers using git (we had a private instance of github) when our apps were deprecated and slated for decom. Now it's all SEP....

My department head was pretty hot about it, but I flat told him that with the lack of deployment automation tools available to our team, an error like this was a when and not an if, and that he should be glad it was just a QA server.
I was the grumpy old-guy and yelled and yelled about that sort of stuff (along with disaster planning) but management wouldn't listen. It's all fun and games in IT management until something breaks, then it's everyone else's fault except their own.

I did something similar, only I did a chown -r . from / as myself on our main database host, then realized what I'd done, freaked, called our sysadm and told him and he started laughing, and laughing, then said "It's fixed." Journaling on the OS is wonderful.
Must be some form of journaling I'm not familiar with. Typically journaling is for preventing filesystem corruption... But glad it was an easy fix!

I got asked once by a junior team member, "what's the undelete command on Unix?" :)

Must be some form of journaling I'm not familiar with. Typically journaling is for preventing filesystem corruption... But glad it was an easy fix!

I got asked once by a junior team member, "what's the undelete command on Unix?" :)
It was some sort of HP-UX thing MANY years ago that our syadmn set up. It tracked file system changes and he could undo them. He ran an extremely tight ship with the executive's blessing because we had lots of engineers who thought they were Unix gurus and loved to hack to "fix things".

It was some sort of HP-UX thing MANY years ago that our syadmn set up. It tracked file system changes and he could undo them. He ran an extremely tight ship with the executive's blessing because we had lots of engineers who thought they were Unix gurus and loved to hack to "fix things".
Oddly enough the systems I was talking about were also HP-UX :)

He may have been using something like Tripwire which is a baselining tool.

Definitely not true. Many cutovers, go-lives, new implementations happen starting on a Friday afternoon or evening because the business impact is less over the weekend.

Of course, it also depends on the business and segment you are in.

I support Enterprise Mission Critical SAP systems in a Fortune 10 company that can involve multi-million dollars in a single transaction.

Same here.....

We do go lives on Saturday and Sunday too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom