Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted previously in this thread about noticing more noise than usual...
I was wondering about this also. My PRS Studio is noisy on the middle+bridge position, where I don't remember it ever doing that before. It's two humbuckers after all. But I might be going crazy too, so I'm going to sit on it and try some different guitars and see what happens.

Not sure if you are aware, but you should be using the master volume parameter for tone and feel shaping, not volume adjustments. The level control is exactly for that purpose.
Yes I am aware of the purpose of the Master Volume. Perhaps the point was missed with my mention of it. When switching between the various clean amps (such as USA Clean, Band Commander, etc), the Tucana clean by default produces noticeably less level than the others. It just seems a little out of place when the others seems to be relatively normalized by default.

Yes I am aware of the purpose of the Master Volume. Perhaps the point was missed with my mention of it. When switching between the various clean amps (such as USA Clean, Band Commander, etc), the Tucana clean by default produces noticeably less level than the others. It just seems a little out of place when the others seems to be relatively normalized by default.
Hmmmmm, I can't find it on the wiki either to see if that's normal

I can't say for that specific Amp model but there's quite a bit of variation between many of the models.

Some are quieter, some are louder. Many are similar...

This comes up semi-regularly with different amps.

Possible issue: Friedman Smallbox - I was playing around with the Bright switch today and when holding a note or chord I switched off the bright switch and the volume cut out and came back up and then when I switch it back on it pops.
I believe the real amp doesn't have a bright switch, so it's probably meant to do nothing.

(edit: It looks like later versions do have a bright switch, but it's only for channel one, the Plexi channel. Assuming the wiki is correct, Channel 2 is the one modelled.)

Last edited:
It only buys you the added capability and capacity, and nothing else? Really?..you know this for a fact? Okay, if you say so! I know if I had people working for me and part of their job description is to listen to our users for ideas on what they want in our products, it's only natural to pay more attention to the ones buying your bigger products. It's not rocket science. It's perfectly normal even if it's not your official procedure, and there isn't anything wrong with it. Does Fractal Audio every do this, I really don't know, but I certainly wouldn't blame them if they did. One thing I do know is that you don't know either unless you're directly involved. It doesn't matter what a companies official policy is, what's "official" and what goes on unofficially are two different things.

As for Fractal's vision on what their products should do, and don't do, etc, I couldn't agree more, but respectfully that has little to do with my point of potential priorities of attention.

I have both the FM3 and Axe-FX III, and based on what's listed on the invoices, the difference in what more money gets is that one is the FM3, and the other is the Axe-FX III. The only other difference I know about beyond the hardware is that it's been stated in the forums that new developments will typically find their way to the flagship device first, then ported to other devices where possible. It seems a matter of both development and product lifecycles, not some imagined entitlement we think we deserve by paying more for the Axe-FX III. In terms of listening to their customers, you can view the customer wish lists and see what's been implemented. There are few companies that embrace improvement as aggressively as Fractal. If I had to venture a guess, when you have their degree of passion for innovation and authenticity, then a good idea is a good idea regardless of who thought of it.

It seems a matter of both development and product lifecycles, not some imagined entitlement we think we deserve by paying more for the Axe-FX III. In terms of listening to their customers, you can view the customer wish lists and see what's been implemented. There are few companies that embrace improvement as aggressively as Fractal.

Well stated!

I have also noticed that the Class-A 30 W Bright has an extremely low level compared to the other Vox style amps. I wonder why this is the case (both with this amp and with others that are low like the Tucana Clean)? I nearly have to max the input drive and output level to get a level that matches most other amps. I can post a preset later today.

Definitely. The master volume changes the overall thickness of the sound as it's rolled up so then we often tweak the other controls to try to compensate. The level control just makes it louder or softer without changing the sound quality.

It took me a little while, and some fiddling and a lot of reading, before I finally understood that different way of accomplishing things but it makes sense now.
For me you nailed it: the reading. Digging into the Wiki and finally reading the Block manual has been very helpful. I’ve had to read and re-read. As my knowledge and experimentation has grown I still pick up tidbits of info that simply didn’t stick when I first read it.

I have also noticed that the Class-A 30 W Bright has an extremely low level compared to the other Vox style amps. I wonder why this is the case (both with this amp and with others that are low like the Tucana Clean)? I nearly have to max the input drive and output level to get a level that matches most other amps. I can post a preset later today.
With the ac30 a real one has a normal and brilliant channel. I sold mine long ago but one was a little hotter (my word) than the other. Maybe that’s the difference.

Just use the Level control. That's why it exists...

I was wondering about this also. My PRS Studio is noisy on the middle+bridge position, where I don't remember it ever doing that before. It's two humbuckers after all. But I might be going crazy too, so I'm going to sit on it and try some different guitars and see what happens.
Try stacking some drives in series, or parallel if you like, and leave them on and your guitar volume turned all the way down. It's like my bedroom in high school :)

I believe the real amp doesn't have a bright switch, so it's probably meant to do nothing.

(edit: It looks like later versions do have a bright switch, but it's only for channel one, the Plexi channel. Assuming the wiki is correct, Channel 2 is the one modelled.)
It would be nice to have both channels on that amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom