The III sounds louder with a touch more treble. I don't know. Hearing something that has been constantly updated for 5 years, and something brand new is really hard to compare. Give the III a couple years of firmware updates and then compare. Right now, I can't say I would be jumping on board with the III. I'm perfectly happy with the II, especially with all the effort I've put into tweaking the presets for me.

Great demo dude, can't wait to hear more from you. The differences are subtle but they're they are there. Axe-III GAS increasing...

the sound seems broader and more expansive larger... more resolution i would say thanks to the higher processing power.

bottom end breathes more...
Exactly, I've always struggled to get the thump a real amp has and the axe III seems to deliver it.
But also the upper range seems better, less "papery" crackles and more defined.

I guess since today I need an axe III...

There's more mojo with the high's, a clearer presence on some models, more grunt on others. Playing the III, it feels more reactive as well. The III is also using different IR's (and in combination) so simply A/B'ing factory presets won't be a precise comparison. You'd have to match parameter by parameter. Too much work there, lol. Interesting to listen to, thanks for the video!

Great demo, thx for posting. Even on my iPhone speakers I can hear some differences. More depth especially while smacking the strings. The noodlish riffs are less noticeable. Gas has yet again gone up.

Hey guys! I took the same four presets on my Axe FX II and my Axe FX III and compared them. Let me know what you guys think!! :)

Great job on the video.

Well, this definitely answers the question I had last year wondering how much more “tube like” modeling could get beyond the Axe2xl+ and I have to say that the 2 sounds great still and there were a few takes and models where they were very similar but where I really noticed the difference (beyond the output levels) was between most of the last 3 amp models and mostly with the Les Paul. The LP sounded best with the last 3 overall and with the last amp model (I believe it was a clean Soldono model or something) the difference between the Strat takes was more pronounced than on the other models.

I was mostly excited about the new features and the horsepower on the 3 but now I’m really stoked about the tones both in terms of what I’m hearing now and where things will be going once that available horsepower starts getting more utilization in future updates.

Last edited:
I agree...but this sounds like device as far as my ears can tell

Right, but the CPU and the software architecture in the Axe2 (as well as the signal converters) may not be able to do what you’re requesting of it as it’s already reaching the limits of it’s capabilities and there probably won’t be many firmware updates on the 2 because of it.

Back
Top Bottom