I also think that the gain is higher within the AXE III Presets. There are different Reverbs too.

So I think the comarison is more about what fine tunes and tweaks are made in the AXE III Factory Presets and less about which Unit sounds better.

For sure the AXE III has more potential but at the moment both units sound great to me. The Video shows it. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
The Axe III sounds just a bit better to my ears. I thought the Axe III sounded the same as my Ax 8 when I redid one of my presets. It’s a marginal difference right now IMO but the firmware will continue to evolve just like the Axe II did when it replaced the Ultra.

Firstly, top class playing man, that was awesome! I really like how the comparison does a brief side-by-side rather than 3 mins of one, and then switching over to 3 mins of the other. The way you have done it you get a much better idea of how the sounds compare.

That said, I definitely agree there seems to be more gain/volume on the Axe3, however I can hear a something sound very nice with the Deluxe Verb and AC-15 that I couldn't hear from the Axe2. Not sure if this is volume/gain related or has to do with Ares. Either way, I'm very looking forward to getting my Axe3 and the future updates for it!

The III definitely breaths more. The highs on the III also sound a touch more accurate to my ears?

I wonder if Ares benefits all models across the board or it's more certain ones show more? I can hear a lot of difference in dynamics of the Dumble. That's usually a major influence on feel and harder to tell from a recording? but I do hear a difference. That reverb on the III is smoootthhh!

The III definitely breaths more.

Yes, this is exactly how I would describe the difference. I’ve always noticed the better modelers have more “air” to them—more note separation, higher clarity, etc. I can hear just listening through my phone speakers.

May have to hop on this sooner than I was expecting. Great work to @FractalAudio for the new product and to @camilovelandiamusic for the video.

I'll be honest to say that I expected them to sound and feel more similar than they do. I made sure to check the input levels. The Axe III has a little "kick" to it. Also a lot of stuff is different in the Preamp and Power amp block. Parameters have been removed, replaced, and/or renamed. It's hard to really see what has changed without an Axe Edit, which I know they're working on. That being said, I understand people who choose to keep their older versions. I'm happy with my new Axe III. Can't wait to keep posting more! If you guys have any suggestions or requests, by all means, let me know.

The III has more punch, either because it just does, or because it is set up somewhere to have a touch more gain like others have said. Probably both are true.

Back
Top Bottom