Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why else would Cliff tout the 2048 rez as a feature if like Jay says it makes no difference. Cliff must know this.
This is not my position. It has already been pointed out that the 2048-point feature allows for stereo 1024-point cabs in "Lo-Res" mode, so now you can place four 1024 cab sims in your signal chain. That is a substantial improvement. Also, there are other uses for IRs besides cab sims - the acoustic guitar thing is one - in which 2048 points could potentially offer a benefit.

The cautionary note I'm trying to get across is that you are not going to hear improvement in the vividness of an impulse response of a guitar cab because of the additional points. If a cab IR sounds a lot different in 2048-point form, there's something wrong with it, because it's got more "late" energy than is ever present in just the signal from a cab (i.e., one with no room reflections).

So this extra sample additions really makes it better due to the fact you can basically now mix at least four ir's in the axe 2, and thus the axe edit as well.

Another thing about Cabs:

Given the importance of Cab blocks, and the larger display on the AFXII, is it possible now to display the cab type on the main preset screen?

If not: Wishlist item #1. :)

So this extra sample additions really makes it better due to the fact you can basically now mix at least four ir's in the axe 2,
Exactly four IRs, which you can also do in the Standard and Ultra. The difference is that, in the original devices, you have to settle for 512-point IRs in order to have two stereo cab blocks, whereas the Axe II lets you do the same with 1024-point IRs. That is an audible and worthwhile improvement.

There are a couple reasons for 2048. Probably most important is that it allows 1024 in stereo mode. To be able to do stereo 1024 requires a 2048 convolution engine. Duh...

Secondly, some IRs benefit from longer IRs. Better to have the ability and not need it than the converse.

I don't do the hype thing and I take umbrage with anyone who accuses me of that.

Exactly four IRs, which you can also do in the Standard and Ultra. The difference is that, in the original devices, you have to settle for 512-point IRs in order to have two stereo cab blocks, whereas the Axe II lets you do the same with 1024-point IRs. That is an audible and worthwhile improvement.

Another advantage is, IR mixes with ambient mics must be now more audible. The response time of the room is much longer than the nearfield.

You mean to plug a pedal like OD, Distortion etc in front of AxeFx?
Yeah, many have done it, why not,
just use rear input instead of guitar input, IIRC.

Yes, this is what I meant. But I ask because of the new "Special Sauce II" analog input stage + as far as I know there is "unity gain processing" inside, I wanna know if this affect the stompbox friendlyness.

Yes, this is what I meant. But I ask because of the new "Special Sauce II" analog input stage + as far as I know there is "unity gain processing" inside, I wanna know if this affect the stompbox friendlyness.

Yeah, my bad, input section of AxeFX II if quite different to AxeFX,
I guess Cliff will give you more info. :)

I just read where someone says that their axe fx ultra has the button on the face that click versus the non clicking type. Does Fractal have axe fx units out there that used buttons on the face that click versus silent ones?

I just read where someone says that their axe fx ultra has the button on the face that click versus the non clicking type. Does Fractal have axe fx units out there that used buttons on the face that click versus silent ones?
There are some silent ones out there. (my ULTRA included for example) I think most is clicky. Axe-Fx II will be clicky.

The II clicks

Will the delays have additional, similar, or simpler functions? I know we have a lot more types now, but inside of those types, are the parameters different?

Ethernet cables that are flat and flexible

Super flat CAT5E ethernet network cable flexible thin ribbon RJ45
cat5e-sf-xx-black.jpg
THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom