Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
FW9Beta Testing update:

Trying the firmware since last night. So far i experienced Communication Time-out after about 30 minutes :( of playing for the 3rd time now.
Here is a screen shot.
Time%20Out.JPG

I use Axe Fx II mark II with MFC 101 mark II connected.
My setup:
Windows 10 64bit, USB connected. Using headphone monitoring from AFX. Windows playback device set to AFX. MFC connected with Cat5e.

Last edited:
My main model is the DC30. It would be AMAZING to try the other channels if you're willing. If not the current DC30 channel will forever satisfy me. It's so killer, especially after the beta.

Is there any chance AX8 users will taste the Q9 anytime soon, before the final release for the AXE FX has been released o we'll have to wait for it (I hope not as long as 8.02)? thanks!

If it really is so, that this parameter is required when using Cab IR's, but not (or only partially) when connecting to a SS amp and a real cab, I don't like this parameter and I think there should be a different solution that gives authentic results for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't tonestacks. The switch selects the coupling capacitor between the EF86 and the volume pot.
Why don't add an exposed control for the coupling capacitors value then, instead of six models? It could be useful for other amps too.

Ps: now that I think about it, maybe this is, for some amps at least, basically what the preamp low cut does

Last edited:
If it really is so, that this parameter is required when using Cab IR's, but not (or only partially) when connecting to a SS amp and a real cab, I don't like this parameter and I think there should be a different solution that gives authentic results for both.
I agree.

Another thought, and I don't mean to stir up a storm. If the speaker comp parameter is modelling both what happens in the power amp and the speakers, how do you use it with a real cab (which doesn't need the speaker part) and a SS power amp (which does need the power amp part)? I might be misinterpreting how the parameter works, but I can't wrap me head around this. It would mean that you have to sacrifice some of the modelling and authenticity if you use a SS power amp and a real cab.

Again, I might be way of. It would be nice to get a more detailed description of how the speaker comp parameter works, and how it's intended to be used with different monitoring configurations.

Why don't add an exposed control for the coupling capacitors value then, instead of six models? It could be useful for other amps too.

Ps: now that I think about it, maybe this is, for some amps at least, basically what the preamp low cut does

+1 on this :)

FW9Beta Testing update:

Trying the firmware since last night. So far i experienced Communication Time-out after about 30 minutes :( of playing for the 3rd time now.
Here is a screen shot.
Time%20Out.JPG

I use Axe Fx II mark II with MFC 101 mark II connected.
My setup:
Windows 10 64bit, USB connected. Using headphone monitoring from AFX. Windows playback device set to AFX. MFC connected with Cat5e.
Same here, even without a MFC but with the same Windows.
Had to turn Axe off/on, at the third time game over....

I agree.

Another thought, and I don't mean to stir up a storm. If the speaker comp parameter is modelling both what happens in the power amp and the speakers, how do you use it with a real cab (which doesn't need the speaker part) and a SS power amp (which does need the power amp part)? I might be misinterpreting how the parameter works, but I can't wrap me head around this. It would mean that you have to sacrifice some of the modelling and authenticity if you use a SS power amp and a real cab.

Again, I might be way of. It would be nice to get a more detailed description of how the speaker comp parameter works, and how it's intended to be used with different monitoring configurations.

I'm sure Cliff has heard our feedback, and is weighing his options. I am hoping there is a solution, or clarity on the matter, as I would be greatly appreciative

As far as I understood:

It has to be in the amp block as it mimics/models the behaviour of the speaker towards the amp and can only be done here as it needs the amp modelingstuff and behaviour.

Of course when one uses FOH and real amp/cab its tricky. As real cab/amp already do this themselve one does not want to apply this in the amp block. As there will be double effect towards the amp/cab route. Then one can use the old version in the cab block towards FOH.

Its not as authentic due to limitations of the input needed from the amp block which did not seems to be feasible according older info in other threads.

It would be all much easier if pre amp would be seperated from post/power end amplification modelling. As routing would be way easier.

But to my knowledge this is something fractal is not doing due to the company/axe fx secrects ;) else im sure they would have done this already

As far as I understood:

It has to be in the amp block as it mimics/models the behaviour of the speaker towards the amp and can only be done here as it needs the amp modelingstuff and behaviour.

Of course when one uses FOH and real amp/cab its tricky. As real cab/amp already do this themselve one does not want to apply this in the amp block. As there will be double effect towards the amp/cab route. Then one can use the old version in the cab block towards FOH.

Its not as authentic due to limitations of the input needed from the amp block which did not seems to be feasible according older info in other threads.

It would be all much easier if pre amp would be seperated from post/power end amplification modelling. As routing would be way easier.

But to my knowledge this is something fractal is not doing due to the company/axe fx secrects ;) else im sure they would have done this already
To my ears, it sounds like you're talking about a tube power amp paired with the Axe. I believe that most (myself included) are talking about using it with a SS power amp, which doesn't behave like a tube one, thus needing power amp modelling etc.

To my ears, it sounds like you're talking about a tube power amp paired with the Axe. I believe that most (myself included) are talking about using it with a SS power amp, which doesn't behave like a tube one, thus needing power amp modelling etc.
Then you can use the new modelling algoritm in the amp block. Or am I missing the point?

This new algorithm in the ampblock is the most accurate for this behaviour. And one should not use the cab block algoritm. As the interaction with the amp is important.

Today i use no tube poweramp and use it only in the amp block.

BUT when i use a real tube poweramp with cab and FOH I would use the option in the cab block for going FOH (or maybe mix both to get best optimum for FOH as thats what the audience would here and feel).

Last edited:
Then you can use the new modelling algoritm in the amp block. Or am I missing the point?

This new algorithm in the ampblock is the most accurate for this behaviour. And one should not use the cab block algoritm. As the interaction with the amp is important.

Today i use no tube poweramp and use it only in the amp block.

BUT when i use a real tube poweramp with cab and FOH I would use the option in the cab block for going FOH (or maybe mix both to get best optimum for FOH as thats what the audience would here and feel).
Since the new parameter is called "speaker comp", it sounds like it models what happens in the speakers though. The description of it makes it seem like it models behaviors of a tube power amp and speakers. Modelling speaker behaviour on top of a real cab sounds less than optimal, but the modelling of how a tube power amp reacts is something you would still want with a SS power amp. See the dilemma?

What if speaker comp was a switch instead of a knob and it would be controlled by the master volume? The more you turn up your volume the more speaker comp you would get.
It already is controlled by the master volume in some ways, but with a switch you'd lose the ability to tweak it to your taste and even some authenticity, because there can't be a direct correlation between MV settings and speaker compression amount that will be authentic for all existing amps and speakers, too many variables (amp output power, speaker power, impedance, number of speakers, etc..)

Unless Cliff decides to take a huge amount of measurements and write down an algo that sets the right amount of speaker comp based on all those variables that the user will be able to set.. But I don't know if it'd be worth the effort

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom