Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

For me - Gutted to have lost the ability to roll the modeling firmware version back, this is a feature I use all the time. I do like to move forward and try to use the latest firmware with anything new I create, but love some of the old firmware tones I have too - and after 100's of hours trying, just cant get the tone I'm after with the new modeling version, so I leave well alone.

For me (and I'm possible in the minority here?) I would have really liked to have stuck with Q7 but had the bugs fixed.
I have an XL, and have lots of space left for IR's which I dont need, I recon I only use maybe 25 maximum 30 IR's...And If in future, I may need to swap an IR from my backup/storage on my computer, then its easy to do.

Thinking long term with the product, and with Memory in mind as new firmwares / Amps / Cabs and pedals are introduced, would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate, and users upload them from file into the AXE as and when required by the user? After all this is how most things which require digital memory work nowdays :) At least in my domain they do.. Mobile phones, laptops, computers, cameras programs, using apps, photos, videos, music etc

Sorry to put a little bit of a downer on the firmware thread - I do really love this product, but I know I'm going to have to lose some tones which I have worked extremely hard and long for :oops:
Have you propertly reported the bugs?

I usually use 2 drives with my JM45 preset; 808 for the bridge, blues OD for the neck. The shimmer drive plays really well with both, no need for a special drive just for the neck pup anymore. awesome OD Cliff!

would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate

It's not quite the same as updating an Operating System (phone, PC, Mac etc.) - apps are by their very nature not an intrinsic part of the OS nor firmware.

As a programmer/developer I try to avoid having to maintain multiple codebases because that tends to increase risk. Even if it is technically possible for FAS to implement, it would not necessarily be viable for other reasons... timescales and dev resource being primary factors.

My first impression of Optical Tube Compressor, the first one is optical 1 and second one is optical 2 with the same setting

sounds good. What were your comp settings exactly and did you place it in front or after cab?

Last edited:
I know it.
So no more amps for Mark II version....

I don't think that is true... a long time ago he said there is all kinds of room for amps. I think the residual code for the older modeling was completely removed (all those if checks) which freed up some space... feel free to correct this whoever knows better.

I honestly did not think I would care about the Optical Compressor - believe it or not I really enjoy the compressor inside the Dynamics area of the amp settings because I like the way it responds to pick attack.

I was WRONG. The new Optical Compressors are amazing. With default settings they tame a raging gain amp into a malleable symphony of harmonics. I feel like I still have dynamic control, but set up first in my chain does wonders to my existing presets.

Thanks again for the update.

...would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate, and users upload them from file into the AXE as and when required by the user? After all this is how most things which require digital memory work nowdays :) At least in my domain they do.. Mobile phones, laptops, computers, cameras programs, using apps, photos, videos, music etc.
On my phone, I get new features and bug fixes pushed out together. It's the same with the OS as with the apps. App updates get pushed out separately because they're produced by other companies.

Splitting up updates into optional parts would complicate things immensely, not to mention all the questions on the forum from people wondering what they can/should/already did update.

I get that you miss the option to run old modeling, but I'd surely rather have the growth and improvement options.

Maybe for 3 Ampspaces to save - and switch them at home for the next gig.

Offtopic - sorry.

Back
Top Bottom