Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

argh, just when I thought that my Fox ODS Deep preset cannot be any better... The bloody thing swallows now my actual real world pedals so well that I have to completely rethink how I use my Axe :D

Have to say that I would be perfectly happy if Fractal would deside to shorten the list of amp models only to main amp prototypes such as "FAS Dumble, FAS Plexi, etc..." from where the users could tweak the prototypes to their liking. This way it would be way more easier to use those fantastic FAS algorithms to their full potential :)

Not a good idea I think!
The way, FAS does it, has been a good decision.

argh, just when I thought that my Fox ODS Deep preset cannot be any better... The bloody thing swallows now my actual real world pedals so well that I have to completely rethink how I use my Axe :D

Have to say that I would be perfectly happy if Fractal would deside to shorten the list of amp models only to main amp prototypes such as "FAS Dumble, FAS Plexi, etc..." from where the users could tweak the prototypes to their liking. This way it would be way more easier to use those fantastic FAS algorithms to their full potential :)

What is stopping you from using those fantastic FAS amps models to their full potential as is ?

Some like to have a totally authentic model of a specific real world amp. Some like to have the FAS idealized models of amps. What is wrong with including BOTH and making everyone happy ?

It sounds like your saying that since you don't use 190 of the 200 amps, they should get rid of them and just have a handful of FAS models you do use....seems like that would upset quite a few people

Not a good idea I think!
The way, FAS does it, has been a good decision.

I agree. Don't mess with success.

Although, in retrospect, it seems like being able to maintain a library of amps as opposed to a monolithic "amp collection" might not be a bad thing. Sorta like keyboardists can do with sound samples and presets. Load what you need, modify/adjust as necessary, and leave the balance on mass storage in an archive. Sorta the way cabs are managed now.

On second thought, all that really does is reduce your on-board memory requirements while memory cost has become negligible.

Very interesting comment! This is just IMHO of course. I think that while in theory you could have a product that completely divulges all the algorithm innards by making a user interface (which for the lazy of us would need to be graphical and on Mac/PC I think - and would hugely swallow Fractal's smarts and keystroking resources) where those edits could be done by end users, it might be that Line 6 would have swallowed Fractal the way our real world pedals have sometimes been swallowed by Fractal's virtual counterparts. (I'm a Linux admirer but I don't use it for gaming or music because the competition has all the capital - that could be why the development pace for those two application types seem a bit like its pouring a Heinz bottle). The engineers and scientists who could spend the time taken to understand such exposed flows would often, but not always of course, be competitors. A user like you or me might have some fun after already having real world experience with a particular set of components being modeled; But I don't think we would be equipped to consistently benefit without training from Cliff for quite some time. The vast majority of us need examples, like dialing in specific amp models, and that\s the other reason (besides allowing them capital for their existence and growth) I'm so in favor of the way Fractal has it now. As a side note, Fremper and Twine 6 (who are super nice guys by the way - I've met some of the guys) don't have philosophy, or the will, or maybe the brass balls to release anywhere near the amount of info on algorithms that Fractal does, and for me the responsiveness of those products is not up to speed.

This is the first time I use a beta fw and have no regret !
I have now work on my fuzzy sounds and some stuff :)
the only thing I struggled with was a loud hum buzz I had with the dasmetal, turning off the bright switch stopped it

As a side note, Fremper and Twine 6 (who are super nice guys by the way - I've met some of the guys) don't have philosophy, or the will, or maybe the brass balls to release anywhere near the amount of info on algorithms that Fractal does, and for me the responsiveness of those products is not up to speed.

One other thing, and a lot of us who have been here on the forum for so long know this, is that Cliff is one of us. He is active on this forum and is always as excited as us when he comes up with something.

Cliff reminds me of a golfer practicing at the same course, the guy who's always getting hole-in-one's and I can't help but share in his enjoyments, coming up with and implementing game-altering-algorithms with minimal-to-zero errors. That's a lot like nailing impossible holes (That's not what I meant and you know it).

Last edited:
To be honest, I really didn't care for this firmware with the IRs I had been using. I couldn't get a clear, bold tone. Don't get me wrong; it's probably more authentic, but I was struggling to get back to the pure awesomeness I had with Beta 1. Then last night I tried the new Ownhammer Players Pack offered by Fractal, and there it was. Both clean and dirty tones were far easier to dial in. That's my experience.

To be honest, I really didn't care for this firmware with the IRs I had been using. I couldn't get a clear, bold tone. Don't get me wrong; it's probably more authentic, but I was struggling to get back to the pure awesomeness I had with Beta 1. Then last night I tried the new Ownhammer Players Pack offered by Fractal, and there it was. Both clean and dirty tones were far easier to dial in. That's my experience.

What were you using before?

I've switched over almost exclusively to Ownhammer stuff (typically 121 and 57/121 mixes) for continuity of sound and have been happy, but I'm on AX8 so no beta for me.

I just bought this pack, it will be interesting to compare to my packs from 3Sigma, Celestion and cabir.eu, I haven't explored the Ownhammer stuff yet besides the free one they offer.

Back
Top Bottom