Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

When you reselect an amp the MV, Presence, Depth (and many advanced parameters) are reset to default values. Make note of what they were before and then reset them to those values after reselecting the amp.
I thought maybe by now there was some way to save your amp block settings and drop them back in after the amp model is updated--that I just wasn't using. No?
I've been making a 2nd block (or Y) un-reset copy with my original settings then and using that as reference for settings and to A/B with when I reset the amp model.
Some kind of snapshot feature that saves (then pastes) everything but the amp model selection would sure be nice!

That would completely undo the resetting of the Amp block. You can accomplish the same thing by just not resetting the Amp block. :)
So I thought the whole point of resetting the amp block after a model is updated is to get the updated model. Are you saying that the model is updated automatically and resetting is not necessary?

I thought maybe by now there was some way to save your amp block settings and drop them back in after the amp model is updated--that I just wasn't using. No?
I've been making a 2nd block (or Y) un-reset copy with my original settings then and using that as reference for settings and to A/B with when I reset the amp model.
Some kind of snapshot feature that saves (then pastes) everything but the amp model selection would sure be nice!
Amp compare function in FracTool

That would completely undo the resetting of the Amp block. You can accomplish the same thing by just not resetting the Amp block. :)

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean by this as no actually it wouldn't be the same as not resetting.

What this would accomplish is; The amp block gets reset, then the numbers are re-entered as if you did them manually yourself. It's not saving the block, only the numbers. The end result is not the same tone or sound ever, as the modeling has changed, and I've done this myself every major FW. The advantage to this is the settings would all still be where you had them so you could then re-tweak from there to make adjustments for the new modeling algorithms saving yourself a bunch of time of having to re-enter all those number manually or start over completely.

Anyways, just something I was thinking about....

Hope that makes it more clear what I meant ;)

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean by this as no actually it wouldn't be the same as not resetting.

What this would accomplish is; The amp block gets reset, then the numbers are re-entered as if you did them manually yourself. It's not saving the block, only the numbers. The end result is not the same tone or sound ever, as the modeling has changed, and I've done this myself every major FW. The advantage to this is the settings would all still be where you had them so you could then re-tweak from there to make adjustments for the new modeling algorithms saving yourself a bunch of time of having to re-enter all those number manually or start over completely.

Anyways, just something I was thinking about....

Hope that makes it more clear what I meant ;)
+1
I'm puzzled by that answer as well...

it's not been necessary to reset the amps the last few updates, but cliff stated in the release notes that it would be for this particular update. so i would go ahead and do it. yes it's a bit of a pain, but make a note of any advanced parameters you have tweaked and it shouldn't take too long. i also record all my patches, so i can compare levels.

So I thought the whole point of resetting the amp block after a model is updated is to get the updated model. Are you saying that the model is updated automatically and resetting is not necessary?
Resetting the Amp block doesn't change the modeling. That happens when you load the new firmware (as long as you have current amp modeling selected).

Resetting the Amp block changes the default parameter settings for that amp. It's an accuracy thing. The default settings are part of the accuracy of the model. You may have previously changed those deeper parameters, but those changes may or may not make sense with the new modeling in the new firmware. Resetting the Amp block starts you out with a known-accurate baseline. Then you can dial in any changes that you might want.

If you wind up with the same sound as you had before the firmware update, some of those parameters will be different from what they were before the update. In other words, you won't get the same results if you just copy and paste your old parameters.

If you are very worried about loosing your advanced parameters, then use Axe Edit to export your patch as a CSV file as a backup of the settings. I do this whenever I feel like I have nailed a preset at 100% of my satisfaction; then I know that if I have moved off the target sound after a few FW updates that I can always go back to the CSV and double check what settings I had when I was really happy with it.

FWIW I do reset the amp whenever I do a FW update, however the advanced parameters I use are ones that I can easily reapply so its not a not of effort for me to do.

Inevitably after reapplying my advanced settings I get the best of my original preset and also the benefit of the new FW settings so it's a win/win.

I also get confused by the reset amp functionality. I wish there was a settings dialog in Axe-Edit that allowed you to control what settings are changed when you do an amp block reset. Like by default everything would change but you could have the option to uncheck EQ or any parameter that you want left alone.

'Reset amp block' confusion rears up every single firmware release. Whether to do it or not, how to do it, why to do it and then what it actually does.

I'm thinking there must be an elegant, programmatic solution but if there was I'd think Cliff would have designed it into the firmware by now. Tricky one.

If you are not using two AMP Blocks, one thing that Ive been doing for all my Presets in order to compare the Modeling and Default settings, is to add a Second AMP BLOCK (AMP 2) , Copy AMP 1 to AMP 2, reset AMP 2, then adjust: Gain, MV, Presence, etc... to my taste. I deselect AMP1, Select AMP 2 and select MUTE as Bypass on Both AMP Blocks, then you switch from one to the other comparing as I play and tweak. Hope this helps...LOL

When you reselect an amp the MV, Presence, Depth (and many advanced parameters) are reset to default values. Make note of what they were before and then reset them to those values after reselecting the amp.

I'll generally take screenshots of Axe-Edit & paste them into a graphics viewer. That way I have an easy reference to look at & reset the amp parameters.

Back
Top Bottom