Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

This has certainly been my favorite update so far. Everything just pops.

As a bonus, I'm also finding with the amp improvements that many of the time based effects now sound richer as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the Cab for that purpose - I'd filter the low-end energy out ASAP rather than at the end. The Cab is more for "smoothing" the top and bottom of the tone off for a general live "cut".

I'd use a REALLY sharp cut in a filter block right after the amp, shelving EQ - just to pull out that sub-bass. I'd use the Cab for the smoothing at the end, rather than targeting troublesome woofy areas.
The way I dealt with it in the past was bring the low res peak in the cab tab up

For this new FW would I be able to copy X to Y then go back to X and re-select the amp model. Then copy Y to X to have my settings the same as they were. Rather than manually re-enter. Am I making sense lol.
No big deal as my setting aren't to deep. Just wondering
That would've been nice about 30 FW upgrades ago LOL.

I dialed most of my cover-tune amps dead on before 7b2. I think I'll copy X to Y, reset X and use Y as the reference to dial X to. Re-dial is less painful than it used to be. More often these days I end up with a preset with fewer advanced tweaks, and that makes future upgrades easier.

Just installed beta 2. When I reselect the amp, it getting worse - less bass, less highs, less volume, almost for all my presets. Am I the only one with this problem?

Just installed beta 2. When I reselect the amp, it getting worse - less bass, less highs, less volume, almost for all my presets. Am I the only one with this problem?

Check your setup of your hardware.
Reinstall the FW.

Most seem to like this a lot, like most new FW released.

It's very good IMO.

When you reselect an amp the MV, Presence, Depth (and many advanced parameters) are reset to default values. Make note of what they were before and then reset them to those values after reselecting the amp.

You're right. I read @djlynch 's post too quickly. I missed the part about copying Y back to X. That will indeed put you back where you
started.

IMHO it was good advice the first time... A number of 'non-deep' parameters (presence, MV, etc) get reset. I do this all the time. I almost never edit stuff like Bias, et, but I almost always want my Presence and MV back to the original along with GBMT (even if they are 'off') to use as a starting point. I assume this is what the other poster was doing.

TBH, I would like some ability in Axe-Edit where we could only reset the 'not on page 1' parameters (maybe not the EQ page either). All of my editing happens in the set of stuff on page 1 in AE and very occasionally the GEQ page.

with all the genius programmers around here I'm surprised no one has written a utility that will parse your current amp block, then reset the amp block and then automatically re-apply all your previous settings to it....

some of the advanced parameters default settings change after a firmware upgrade. i would say that you would need to limit the parameters to presence, master volume, input trim, speaker low res freq and the graphic. maybe a couple of others...

with all the genius programmers around here I'm surprised no one has written a utility that will parse your current amp block, then reset the amp block and then automatically re-apply all your previous settings to it....
That would completely undo the resetting of the Amp block. You can accomplish the same thing by just not resetting the Amp block. :)

Maybe I´m to old............have tried this PI bias shift at the front Panel with a Spawn amp - can´t hear any difference - no matter if 0 or 100 %....:(

Maybe I´m to old............have tried this PI bias shift at the front Panel with a Spawn amp - can´t hear any difference - no matter if 0 or 100 %....:(

I could be totally wrong but I think
Splawn uses a plate driven tone stack as opposed to a cathode follower.

some of the advanced parameters default settings change after a firmware upgrade. i would say that you would need to limit the parameters to presence, master volume, input trim, speaker low res freq and the graphic. maybe a couple of others...

I would love this! I would add input gain to that, and perhaps tube types unless new tubes are added and defaulted because of it. I'd pay money for such a utility. Would be a great feature addition for AxeEdit or even for FracTool.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
- Bogfish
- Brit 800
- CA3+
- Cameron CCV
- Corncob
- Dizzy V4 Blue
- Dizzy V4 Silver
- Herbie
- Recto1 and Recto2
- Solo 88, 99 and 100

Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.

Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).

Changed “Brit 800 Mod” amp model. Now based on a “Santiago #34”.

Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.

Replaced factory cab #62 with new “4x12 Greenback (LM)” from the “Larry Mitchell: Accurate” session.

Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.

Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.

Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.

Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).

Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.

Fixed can’t cancel controller “Learn Mode” in I/O->CTRL menu.

Fixed Custom Shift menu error in Pitch block.

NOTE: This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.
Mr. Cliff excuse me for my English horrendous :(
I would love this!
Is it possible to insert in the release notes (Quantum) Firmware AXE-EDIT ?

I did like very much what I heard, all amps sounded at least as good as before, the only exception being the Nuclear, which has lost its mojo with respect to the bias tremolo. Even with depth at maximum, I cannot get it to throb deeply... Can anyone confirm if this is not just me? Any tips on advanced settings etc. are highly appreciated
Thanks.
Anyone has any input on the Nuclear? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom