Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Played for a few hours on some different amps... some amps exhibit a "spitty" sounding high end that I do not care for. last one i stopped on was the recto 1 orange. some sound better some sound worse, marshalls and variants seem better. YMMV.

What is causing that spitty sound (best i can describe it, kind of harsh, not smooth at all) and what gets rid of it? has to be something new.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

thanks buddy i know i saw that somewhere... exactly how i described it lol... i'll try that setting.

Ok that helped some, but still there. I managed to dial it almost all out with putting Bias shift at 0, and pulling the high down to 5 or under and putting back highs with the eq. Mr. Spitty is pretty gone, wouldn't hear in a mix. Will try with some other amps.

Man it changes some amps into a mess, some better. Just will take more tweaking. IMHO.

Last edited:
Fender Jaguar

Huh. Interesting.

I see that it has the body shape and control set of the Jaguar, but I've never seen a Jag with a dark headstock or with that font. I just assumed it was one of the many custom brands that make offset guitars in the style of the Fender offsets.

Thanks!

I find that with this version, more so than any before it, that there are some amps I don't really like, and some amps I'm indifferent to, and some amps I really like. To which I say, FANTASTIC, because that is just what I find with real world guitar amps, they all sound rather different.

I always found that with earlier modelers, basically all the amp choices sounded kind of the same, and while miles ahead of those, in earlier firmware a lot of the models sounded pretty similar too. For example I was totally indifferent to quite a few Fender models. Twin, Silver Face Twin, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux, Super Reverb et al., had what was to my ears, a similar tone. Likewise many of the Marshall- amps all were pretty similar and I didn't get huge differences from a JVM to a JCM800 to a Brit Pre, to a Brit Silver etc etc.

Now though, there are models I really like the sound and feel of, and some fairly significant differences between similar models. (significant of course being a relative term)

Now I feel I have like 200 unique amp models, instead of maybe 20 or 30 similar variations of amp models, if that makes any sense

Huh. Interesting.

I see that it has the body shape and control set of the Jaguar, but I've never seen a Jag with a dark headstock or with that font. I just assumed it was one of the many custom brands that make offset guitars in the style of the Fender offsets.

Thanks!
It might be offbrand. Of course @Burgs would be able to tell you.

If you are trying to get the "reset" and preserve your other tweaks, I don't think that will accomplish that.

You can save your current setting from X to Y for reference, but even if you reset Y, the copy back of X over Y will be back to square one. It won't be a reset amp block.
You're right. I read @djlynch 's post too quickly. I missed the part about copying Y back to X. That will indeed put you back where you started.

I find that with this version, more so than any before it, that there are some amps I don't really like, and some amps I'm indifferent to, and some amps I really like. To which I say, FANTASTIC, because that is just what I find with real world guitar amps, they all sound rather different.

I always found that with earlier modelers, basically all the amp choices sounded kind of the same, and while miles ahead of those, in earlier firmware a lot of the models sounded pretty similar too. For example I was totally indifferent to quite a few Fender models. Twin, Silver Face Twin, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux, Super Reverb et al., had what was to my ears, a similar tone. Likewise many of the Marshall- amps all were pretty similar and I didn't get huge differences from a JVM to a JCM800 to a Brit Pre, to a Brit Silver etc etc.

Now though, there are models I really like the sound and feel of, and some fairly significant differences between similar models. (significant of course being a relative term)

Now I feel I have like 200 unique amp models, instead of maybe 20 or 30 similar variations of amp models, if that makes any sense

That is kind of how I felt also. I didn't have a long time to tweak, but the first thing I noticed when comparing a Recto and a Mark IV was that the Recto kind of had that fat, fuzzy thing going on, and the Mark IV had that tight, tubby, thunky kind of thing going on. Basically, they really did sound like 2 completely different amps. In the past I could have dialed anything to sound about the same, but this was one of the first times I felt like there would be no way to make one sound like the other.

I like this update. I downloaded a Tucana preset by silent underground which is an amp I've never got on with before. It sounds amazing! Not sure if I've just been dialling it in wrong or its to do with the update.

was using the low cut in the cab block. strangely enough it doesn't get rid of it until you're doing too drastic of a cut. Cliff mentioned that the real amp has that as well so there you go. FOH can lo cut the channel
Yeah, I wouldn't use the Cab for that purpose - I'd filter the low-end energy out ASAP rather than at the end. The Cab is more for "smoothing" the top and bottom of the tone off for a general live "cut".

I'd use a REALLY sharp cut in a filter block right after the amp, shelving EQ - just to pull out that sub-bass. I'd use the Cab for the smoothing at the end, rather than targeting troublesome woofy areas.

Ok that helped some, but still there. I managed to dial it almost all out with putting Bias shift at 0, and pulling the high down to 5 or under and putting back highs with the eq. Mr. Spitty is pretty gone, wouldn't hear in a mix. Will try with some other amps.

Man it changes some amps into a mess, some better. Just will take more tweaking. IMHO.

Did you try changing to different tube?

Played for a few hours on some different amps... some amps exhibit a "spitty" sounding high end that I do not care for. last one i stopped on was the recto 1 orange. some sound better some sound worse, marshalls and variants seem better. YMMV.

What is causing that spitty sound (best i can describe it, kind of harsh, not smooth at all) and what gets rid of it? has to be something new.

Try Transformer Match
XFRMR MATCH

Love the PI bias shift cliff! Thanks for that. Cool feature to have.

Agree! I've still been messing around with it but definitely adds something to the sound I can't quite put my finger on. Turned all the way up, worked great on one of my presets for FRFR setup. Really improved the overall tone.

Back
Top Bottom