Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

What cab are you using if you don't mind sharing...It is pretty much my go to amp and I use the factory cab #60. Cheers
Hey, fantastic. I was just checking out what I am using and then put factory cab #60 in the "y" so I could flip between the two. I usually always use Stereo Ultra Res cab combos & I have a ton of Cab Packs. So, anyway, I am using a combo of a Carol Ann Scholz from the OBOT Cab Pack and a 4x12 Green Back, (which I'm not sure which Cab Pack it came from) it was done with a SM57 as opposed to the M160 that the Factory Cab #60 has, but very similar sounding, and I think I like the factory better.
So, what I did was made the "y" side also Stereo Ultra Res & added Factory Cab #121 1x12 Triptik Mix, (as I believe it is the same exact cab) to Factory #60 and I prefer the two Factory cabs. The tone is similar, but these two Factory Cabs together have better "focus" for lack of a better word. Little better string to string definition & I feel like I can tell better the location of the sound sonically, if that makes sense.
So, thanks for sharing that cab choice with the Hot Kitty. Sounds killer with Green Backs.
Sounds fantastic with just those, you can try adding in the Scholz with #121. It ended up in that patch mainly cause my main amp is the Carol Ann OD2 & I wandered off with the new firmware checking out different amps and the Hot Kitty was one I wanted to spend a little time with. And I am glad I did.

If you really want to hear what some of those advanced parameters do to the sound, try using a set of head phones. It's been a revelation for me. Some of them may get lost in the mix, but as a learning tool... I should have thought of this long ago. Btw, Q7 rocks

I had the same question and ETOLKIEN was nice enough to help me out. Here is his response.
You can download the Firmware zip for Mark I/markII users. Inside this zip there are a folder called "UltraRes Samples" that contains these cabs. The reason for this is that MarkI/II devices have 132 factory slots only, Cliff provides the 28 additional factory cabs in a separate folder. Even if you are an XL user you can benefit from this nice gesture from Cliff.
#146 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_H-PR-55_Studio-Modern"
#149 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern"
Even if you have an XL you can keep that folder to have these old cabs
When you install the new firmware for your machine the old cabs will be lost but if you keep this folder you can install them again in some user's slots.
Thanks a LOT !!!!!!

Last edited:
There is definitly something special going on with this firmware. It's more than just another step beyond modeling capabilities, it's kind of a giant leap forward for guitar technology period!! If like me, you are into modded Marshall tone, try the new Brit 800 34 with saturation switch engage, you won't believe it. I have try some other amps and they all respond the right way. They breath, the notes are percussive and the separation is natural. So far, this is really impressive. Great job to all Fractal Audio team!!

Oh and I forgot to mention about the Shiva lead. Cliff stated there was some errors that were corrected in this firmware! Indeed, this model is my new go to for smooth and fluid lead tone!! Really really good!!!

For starters, engage the Cut switch, change the power amp sag value to .5 and change the preamp tubes to 12AX7B. You could also lower the Low Freq Res value a bit but that would also affect accuracy. I don't know what people are doing to make them sound good without the Cut switch. I use the TS-808 before the amp with the gain at .5 and the level at 50%. That tightens it up a good deal while also keeping added harshness to a minimum

I have limited experiences playing the real thing, but it's normal for a stock Recto to kind of sound like you're playing with the neck pickup regardless. That's where overdrives before the amp come in. If your looking for the absolute tightest amp, Rectos probably won't do it for you. I gravitate towards them for the specific kind of mid scoop they have along with a sort of broad bass response that makes me wanna punch something.

But if you have to do all that to get it to sound good, why bother? You can get a great tight tone very quickly using the Angle Severe or 5153 without any drive pedals or other things in the chain. I guess the models just aren't for me. Mesa's advertising and description of those amps doesn't make sense either, if you read their descriptions in the manual and in advertising, you would think those amps are the be all, end all of metal amps. In reality, the Mark series amps are MUCH better for tight metal tones.

As far as the factory preset banks go, couldn't someone that has reset every amp block already save the banks and post them so we can download them? Just a thought.

But if you have to do all that to get it to sound good, why bother? You can get a great tight tone very quickly using the Angle Severe or 5153 without any drive pedals or other things in the chain. I guess the models just aren't for me. Mesa's advertising and description of those amps doesn't make sense either, if you read their descriptions in the manual and in advertising, you would think those amps are the be all, end all of metal amps. In reality, the Mark series amps are MUCH better for tight metal tones.
I, for one, am glad that the models now showcase both the strengths and flaws of the original amps. Afterall, one person's flaw is another person's strength. Most heavy music should opt for something like a 5150, but some stuff calls for flub.

I will try this weekend. As long as the factory patches are installed new first from the Dec 2016 the
all I have to do is switch each amp back and forth right? Then save each patch?

Maybe ask FAS first about possible plans for releasing updated banks.

Yeah, but I'm not really going for super,super tight metal tones. I've tried the other amps, like the 5150s, the Mark series', ENGL's, Diezels, Soldanos and so on. They all sound very wrong to me. Rectos just have a specific frequency response that makes them sit in the mix just the way I like. So what if I have to do 10 seconds of tweaking? I have the best guitar tone I've ever heard (for my tastes anyway) and the end certainly justifies the means.

But if you have to do all that to get it to sound good, why bother?
Nothing wrong with picking something that works for you. That's the point of having so many options. That said, have you even bothered trying an OD in front? As noted, they are well known for being 'loose' with nothing else in the signal path (google mesa rectifier loose gain). All this hype you have heard about them is likely regarding tones recorded/performed with an OD to condition the signal, etc. This is all many people need with one in real life... maybe it'll help you see what the fuss is all about; maybe you just don't like them.

The main thing to me personally is that the models are accurate and that we have enough to choose from to get where we want. Even if that accuracy means it does something we don't prefer because that may be just what someone else is looking for and there are plenty of choices in the box.[/QUOTE]

Hi-gain presets (from Marshall hard rock tones to Engl metal tones) sound better with Q6 default advanced settings than Q7 to my ears. I did the copy-X-to-Y-and-reselect-X routine and every time the Y with Q6 settings was better. Haven't compared mid-gain or cleans yet. Anyone else think so too?

i think you'll have to define "better"

just for giggles try it again, but in X set the speaker drive parameter in the speaker page of the amp block to zero

Hi-gain presets (from Marshall hard rock tones to Engl metal tones) sound better with Q6 default advanced settings than Q7 to my ears. I did the copy-X-to-Y-and-reselect-X routine and every time the Y with Q6 settings was better. Haven't compared mid-gain or cleans yet. Anyone else think so too?

Doesn't this defeat taking advantage of the "new" modeling algorithms ? If you're superimposing the Q6 settings into the Q7 modeling, I don't think you're getting the benefit of the enhancements ?

Am I missing something here ?

absolutely. reset the amp and then just move back the basic stuff you've touched - master volume, pres, speaker low res freq, input trim etc. leave all the other advanced stuff, because the new default values will be more accurate

Back
Top Bottom