Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

I've never used one so I looked them up and they got some pretty bad reviews.
For many players, the HM-2 was the first pedal,they had as young guitarists, so they occupy a nostalgic sweet spot. The name screams "badass," and they've grown to love that wall-of-sandpaper sound. :)

Arrrrgh...
Finishing up tracking 2 "important" instrumentals, so I have to stay on Q7.2beta for a few more days. I can't tell you how many times my fingers were on FractalBot, but my conscience whispers: "Don't you dare..."

I can wait a few more days... I can wait a few more days... I can wait a few more days...
Temptation is like the aroma of cookies baking in the oven, but you know you shouldn't eat because of your 5-day crash diet.
Q7 cookies... yum... yum... you know you want them...

I've never used one so I looked them up and they got some pretty bad reviews.

They were used by Entombed, Dismember and a million other Swedish death metal bands to get that buzzsaw guitar sound they had back in the day. The funny thing is when you isolate that tone by itself, it sounds pretty terrible but in a mix with bass and drums, it sounds heavy as Satan himself. I actually bought an HM2 clone a few years back because I wanted to see if I could get that tone since I love old Entombed and Dismember but I sent it back when I realized how bad it sounded! I can actually get a similar sounding tone but better(to me anyway) using a GEQ and scooping out most of the upper and lower mids.

If we're talking first crappy stomp box, I want an Ibanez Thrashmetal. You'd need to replicate the defective jacks and switch too.

r3bzljxdesmquyddh1e2.jpg

(The controls values that come-up after this [reset said:
are not the same as the 'generic default value'
you get when double-clicking a knob or its label)

Whoa, I didn't know that. I thought double-click was the default, default value. Why isn't it?

For many players, the HM-2 was the first pedal,they had as young guitarists, so they occupy a nostalgic sweet spot. The name screams "badass," and they've grown to love that wall-of-sandpaper sound. :)
No, the HM-2 is the "Sound of Swedish Death Metal". A bunch of bands in this obscure subgenre latched onto this piece of gear and it became an archetypal piece for those artists. Anyone asking for it is almost certainly into this stuff for better or worse. :mad::cool::p TBH, I hear nothing special there.

Reactions: Rex
Well, I'm not into that kind of music or tones so all the references I've got are Pink Floyd's 'A momentary lapse of reason' (in my opinion the album with most awful Gilmour tones) and a good friend of mine with really good taste for tone and equipment who had one for years and sais it's the worst pedal he ever heard

Loaded up 7.x Wednesday night and dialed in a new Amp block with the 5153 50-way Blue, my goto amp. I own the physical amp too, but replaced it when I went Axe-FX last year. I just also went FR, with an EV ZLX12P monitor, whereas I was previously going into a Matrix and then my EVH cab. Had my first band practice with this setup (FR with the EV and Q7) with my 80's metal & classic rock cover band. The tone was better than anything I've ever had with any of my many tube amps. I'm not great at describing sound, but it was full, woody, responsive, etc. I never would have thought I'd get such a great tone that's 100% digital, but there it was. There's not really a comparison to my tube amps anymore; for me, the Axe tone is better. Thank you Cliff and FAS for such an awesome product.

For those fantasizing you you had Pete Cornish pedals in your Axe-Fx (;)Cliff) and you were wondering what order to put them in....

ALL TUBE EFFECTS BOARD S/N 0595 (effects listed in proper signal order)

Pete Cornish Tube Buffer
Demeter Compulator
Send - Return #1 for additional effects if required
Pete Cornish G-2
Pete Cornish P-1
2 X BK Butler Tube Driver plus 2 X Pete Cornish Tube Buffer
Send - Return #2 for additional effects if required
Boss GE-7
Custom Volume Pedal insert
Pete Cornish Tape Echo Simulator with Pete Cornish Tube Buffer
MXR Digital Delay (Rack mount) with Pete Cornish Tube Buffer
2 X Outputs with Pete Cornish Tube Line Drivers

Don't get me wrong, I really like what the Q7 did to the characteristics of certain amps in the Axe, but has anyone else got problems with their clean presets, that are no way near clean after the FW update?

EDIT ...also, I think that some of the more ambient like sound went more boomy so that I have to apply a global EQ below 130Hz

Should I be embarrassed. I was afraid, when I first started learning about Uli Roth, that the Sails of Charon sound I was getting out of my Tom Scholz Rockman would not be as creamy smooth with the HM-2...(Even though the rockman sounded like it was behind a wall. Not 'of sound'. Just behind a wall.

So I guess a brilliantly metal distortion is a good contrast with that?

Don't get me wrong, I really like what the Q7 did to the characteristics of certain amps in the Axe, but has anyone else got problems with their clean presets, that are no way near clean after the FW update?
I use the trim and drive controls when that happens. Also, I like to have overhead to turn up the amp block Level (e.g. in case Firmwares do that), so I try very hard to leave room for that with every other part of the chain. In my case, its keeping from clipping at the sound card that's the bottleneck; I used to have my Axe FX output level set pretty high, and my monitors set low. Now its the reverse. I use the mixer to keep the noise floor at acceptable levels, and I use the amp block Level control to match up my presets, and if I want a clean sound I can always find more room to lower the drive. Ultimately I may raise trim and lower drive, but as long as the noise floor is not very perceivable my monitors left alone at a fairly high volume, and the mixer gets adjusted. I guess its not necessarily a more sensible way to do things, but it beats the repeated struggles with distorting components and being unable to clean up clean amps and still hear them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom