Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.03 Firmware Released

I love the concept Sag= bloom? And an option to explore the bits, thanks for the Brit Silver fix Cliff, I am now ready to partake 5. And I know I cant blow up my virtual Sag control, soooo.....

Note if you're using "global" amp blocks:
  • After installing 5.03, the Supply Sag value will not link to global block data anymore.
    This means that it'll probably be set to an incorrect (non-default) value.
    This applies to both AMP 1 and AMP 2, and both X and Y.

• This applies to all presets with global amp blocks. Each preset has to be re-saved to restore the global link. After re-saving a preset, the Supply Sag parameter will adhere to "global" changes again.

• The fastest way to do this (instead of manually recalling and storing 768 presets): use @AlGrenadine 's FracTool's Batch Setter to re-save all presets (instruct it to change a parameter in a block you never use). Wait a few minutes while FracTool does its job. Then simply correct the Sag value in the global amp block, and all presets with the same global block will adhere. You have to correct the Sag value in all instances of the global amp block.

Last edited:
For those of you who have never owned a low wattage cathode biased amp where you can change power tubes (and preamp tubes), or one with external bias pots, it would be an invaluable experience. I mentioned above regarding the variable sag control designed by Dave Zimmerman of Maven Peal. It was a feature included in all his designs, along with the wattage control (a very effective way to tame volume for home players). The Emery Sound amps (and there are plenty of others) are a tube switcher's dream.

However, there's still more to learn, and Cliff has given us experimentation tools far beyond what we could normally achieve with a soldering iron and spare parts. The increased sag is one more of those, even if it's unrealistic. I was unaware that the sag of a Plexi was that high. In fact, when I check the stock settings for many of the amp models, I realize how incomplete my education remains.

I can feel the valve smell! :D

I had to adjust the Preamp Hardness a little bit in some amps due to breakup, but no problem! :)

As always, sorry for my English! The desire to post my experiences is greater. I promise to improve with the language.

Only had an hour with it last night.

Is it just me or does the bass seem more prominent now? I had to up the low cut on the speaker block on a few amps.

I'll try again tonight. Maybe just tired ears...

Very huge Jon - what is this black something behind your bridge - is it for damping the strings?
Yeah, it's for killing overtones. I've never had to use one on my two Les Pauls, but I do use it right after the nut at the headstock. It's an absolute must on my Fender Telecaster (I can tell a big difference). I use Fret Wraps. I've heard good things about the Jimmy Clip, too.

Loving the extra sag. Feeling a bit like this:

saggy-pants.jpg

Only had an hour with it last night.

Is it just me or does the bass seem more prominent now? I had to up the low cut on the speaker block on a few amps.

I'll try again tonight. Maybe just tired ears...
I thought the same thing.. seems to lose definition over the low strings just a touch.

Cliff has given us experimentation tools far beyond what we could normally achieve with a soldering iron and spare parts. The increased sag is one more of those, even if it's unrealistic.
Yeah, is like surpass the speed of light!!

If I understand correctly, I believe this is the reason;

"5.03
Increased maximum amount of virtual power amp sag in Amp block. The maximum amount of sag is now twice what was previously available. Existing presets will automatically be adjusted to compensate for the increased range of the Supply Sag control, i.e. if the Supply Sag was set to 8.00 it will be adjusted down to 4.00 so as to yield the same amount of sag. High values of Supply Sag can be used to make the feel “easier” and/or replicate the behavior of other products that intentionally exaggerate compression."
No @Toopy14, my point is that the maximum has DOUBLED... therefore to keep the SAME sag as previous FWs the figure should HALVE... mine appears to have QUARTERED.

Back
Top Bottom