Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Wow really 38 Pages now ...

Are there some possible bugs or problems reported yet, hard to find something in here :dizzy:

The only problem I had and you may not experience it; but after upgrading to 4.01b the modeling version in the "AMP" block was changed from LATEST to Q3.xx on my personal presets. The remaining factory presets (that I scrolled through) stayed on LATEST. I don't think it's a bug, but you may want to at least give it a quick look.

I personally don't need anymore amps, I can adjust the ones he has given us to squeeze out the tones I need. I think it is awesome how he supported us Mark I users all this time. I just hope if he has any epiphanies on modeling improvements or other things, he can squeeze them in till I buy the AX3.

So, let me get this straight? People are upset that the MKI/II may not get more updates because they want to have all the tonal features from previous versions which is preventing more updates? If so, that deserves a big WTF!

Up until a week ago we thought our units could run the same firmware as the the XL. We are all in a little shock I think to find out that our units are more limited. I am still happy with my Mark II, but I must say that I am not happy to find out this news.
We haven't reached that point yet, though! Right now we're still on the same software revision. Cliff just "hinted" that it will happen "soon" as the ROM is almost full. Who knows what other FW upgrades are yet in store for MkI/MkII units?
A few months ago someone(Cliff?) mentioned that the TigerSharc chips in all Axe Fx IIs have reached EOL and not being produced anymore. Enter the Axe Fx III? Soon? Will XL/XL+ owners "cry"? (You Bet!:D)

We haven't reached that point yet, though! Right now we're still on the same software revision. Cliff just "hinted" that it will happen "soon" as the ROM is almost full. Who knows what other FW upgrades are yet in store for MkI/MkII units?
A few months ago someone(Cliff?) mentioned that the TigerSharc chips in all Axe Fx IIs have reached EOL and not being produced anymore. Enter the Axe Fx III? Soon? Will XL/XL+ owners "cry"? (You Bet!:D)

Cliff had mentioned in a thread about 4 or 5 months back that he hadn't started on the Axe Fx 3 as of that posting. And we were likely at least 2 or more years away still. I have had my XL for two years this month on the 31st. If I get two more years out of it before upgrading to an Axe Fx 3, then it's still money well spent on my part. And I'll be on the wait list to buy a 3 to support FAS like they have supported all of us.

Finally got a chance to try the Legato 100, I'm guessing I'm not bonding with it because to me it's just a flubby mush, like the worst parts of the JCM 800 tone (the farting on the low notes when really pushed) without any of the good parts. I'm surprised because I love the Cali Leggy model, but I guess this is a totally different animal.

Any tips on getting a nice lead tone from the Legato ?
Turn the bass way down and I always use the bass cut switch. Works for me.

Let me just see if I understand this correctly because there are a lot of comments on this.

1. The amount of space available in the MKI/II boot rom is nearly full.
2. Because of this FAS may not be able to release any other firmware updates.
3. This means that the MKI/II is pretty much going to end around Quantum v4.01, save for some maintenance/bug fixes.
4. That means that if you like the way it sounds and works and NEED to have the older amp modelling version then you can either stay with your MKI/II or upgrade to the XL.

There is nothing to be lost by users who NEED older amp modelling versions because there simply isn't anything else that can be added to the system at this point.

5. BUT there may be a way for FAS to continue updates by removing the legacy amp modelling. Users (such as myself) who only use the latest amp modelling version may be able to have some additional amps and/or features in exchange for a feature set they do not need.

I just don't see how this is an argument. Either Cliff can or cannot continue to advance the MKI/II (and only he knows for certain), but to sit there and insist that doing so at the expense of old code is somehow some ridiculous notion makes no sense to me. I remember specifically that the old amp modelling was removed for this specific reason and was later added as a work around or option for those that needed it. Removing it to make space isn't removing a feature; it is eliminating old code in my opinion.

IS ANY OF THIS RIGHT?

Let me just see if I understand this correctly because there are a lot of comments on this.

1. The amount of space available in the MKI/II boot rom is nearly full.
2. Because of this FAS may not be able to release any other firmware updates.
3. This means that the MKI/II is pretty much going to end around Quantum v4.01, save for some maintenance/bug fixes.
4. That means that if you like the way it sounds and works and NEED to have the older amp modelling version then you can either stay with your MKI/II or upgrade to the XL.

There is nothing to be lost by users who NEED older amp modelling versions because there simply isn't anything else that can be added to the system at this point.

5. BUT there may be a way for FAS to continue updates by removing the legacy amp modelling. Users (such as myself) who only use the latest amp modelling version may be able to have some additional amps and/or features in exchange for a feature set they do not need.

I just don't see how this is an argument. Either Cliff can or cannot continue to advance the MKI/II (and only he knows for certain), but to sit there and insist that doing so at the expense of old code is somehow some ridiculous notion makes no sense to me. I remember specifically that the old amp modelling was removed for this specific reason and was later added as a work around or option for those that needed it. Removing it to make space isn't removing a feature; it is eliminating old code in my opinion.

IS ANY OF THIS RIGHT?

Well you cleverly waited to the end to bring up the issue...you are trying to do away with the previous amp modeling feature where I for one enjoy the feature a lot. I have many presets designed by other artists using FW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. I enjoy not having to change FW the tedious way using Bot...the issue is that people with old equipment want to enjoy all future updates that XL+ users have without paying for it...same old ME ME ME generation BS...

If you're not going to have a "modeling version" for EVERY major firmware to date, there's no point going back one or two or three. Scrap the modeling version, IMO
I say scrap any updates for devices other than the XL+...I mean if you going to be that cavalier with your responses and not attempt to understand that some of us like the feature...well I can be an ass too I suppose...

I guess the "big" question regarding the rollback ability, regardless of the product, is how far back should it go ? We can currently roll back as far as what, Q2.0 (I don't use the feature so I'm not sure last time I played with that knob lol) right ?

Well, lets say there is Q4.01 and then maybe Q4.1, Q4.2 and heck, maybe even Q5, or who the heck knows what it could be called..... Regardless, how far back should rollbacks allow ? When its Q4.2 does Q2.0 modeling still exist, or do we only go as far back as Q4.00 by that point ?

It seems that as we move forward, there is always going to be a point you can't go back to (short of reinstalling old FW, so while maybe some might want have a knob that can go back to FW18, or heck, FW9, the option just isn't there anymore). So, it sort of makes this "debate" seem a bit silly, in that someone might be arguing that they need the ability to go back to Q2.01 modeling for a given patch, but if/when they have upgraded to FW4.xx (hopefully for mkII users too!) that Q2.01 might be too old to even still be an option.

Then what ? Post waxing nostalgic about how sweet FW Q4.01 sounded because Q4.2 just sounds wrong somehow?

I think the pace of progress is simply inevitable, aside from choosing not to upgrade, because if a user always installs the latest FW, there is always going to be a point of no return. As such, the rollback feature is really just a short-term solution.

Again, FW10 had an option to have FW9 I recall, and probably some people thought that was cool at the time, but as of today does anyone want to go back to EITHER of those FW versions ?

You are attempting to make this issue convoluted. It isn't. I enjoy being able to use presets that were specially designed for me by other artists without changing FW in a time consuming fashion. For example, Moke's presets were designed using 3.03 software and they do not sound as good using 4.0. I have other presets that sound fantastic with 2.0 but terrible with 3.03. I LOVE the ability to use ALL of these presets quickly. The XL+ allows this to happen and I want to continue to use this great feature. I don't want to give it up simply because others who don't want to purchase new equipment are being selfish. I pay for my selfishness and it doing so promote the viability of FAS as a company. If they come out with Axe Fx III today then I will make the purchase. They have more than earned my loyalty. The only individuals who seem to be arguing about this are the one's with equipment other than XL or XL+.

Well, after 38 pages of speculation, perhaps the developer could chime in with something a little more definitive...

So @FractalAudio ...
How many more firmware updates for the I/II we talking do you think?
Will removing the older amp block modelling option free up enough space to allow for more firmware updates?

Thanks
Carl

Last edited:
Well, after 38 pages of speculation, perhaps the developer could chime in with something a little more definitive...

So @FratalAudio ...
How many more firmware updates for the I/II we talking do you think?
Will removing the older amp block modelling option free up enough space to allow for more firmware updates?

Thanks
Carl

Honestly, I hope when he releases the next final firmware, he announces it's the last update we Mk I and Mk II owners are getting. Sure, people are saying they are thankful and expressing gratitude for what Cliff has done, but it's spiraled out of control and the entire thread has turned into complete speculation. If Cliff wants to modify the code to make room for another one or two updates, that's up to him. To me, it's not worth the extra hassle. Our units are approaching a dead end and we need to accept it.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...v-4-01-public-beta.119924/page-4#post-1426337

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-4-01-public-beta.119924/page-13#post-1426748

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-4-01-public-beta.119924/page-16#post-1426900

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...v-4-01-public-beta.119924/page-5#post-1426402

I personally don't need anymore amps, I can adjust the ones he has given us to squeeze out the tones I need. I think it is awesome how he supported us Mark I users all this time. I just hope if he has any epiphanies on modeling improvements or other things, he can squeeze them in till I buy the AX3.
would love to see a Supro Black Magick and a Dr. Z DB4 added ;-)

Back
Top Bottom