Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.00 Firmware Release

Non master volume? Any in particular.. and more importantly do you have a DI track I can use? :)
Heh... See, I was looking for the lazy way out. :)

I don't think choice of DI matters so much, nor choice of NMV amp. It's more about the fact that the Q4 difference comes out the most when you're slamming the power amp sim.

I cannot seem too update to the 4.0 beta… It keeps telling me there was an error after loading up to 100%I have never hit the manual update button…. Ive tried it now 3 times with the same results…

It tells me… “An error has occurred during file transmission. This may have happened because you manually put the Axe FX into firmware update mode which is not necessary for the version of firmware installed. Please try again.”

Any ideas???

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-17%20at%206.20.05%20PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 6.20.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 6.20.05 PM.png
    52 KB · Views: 12
I cannot seem too update to the 4.0 beta… It keeps telling me there was an error after loading up to 100%I have never hit the manual update button…. Ive tried it now 3 times with the same results…

It tells me… “An error has occurred during file transmission. This may have happened because you manually put the Axe FX into firmware update mode which is not necessary for the version of firmware installed. Please try again.”

Any ideas???

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-17%20at%206.20.05%20PM.png
try restarting computer and axe-fx. sometimes USB needs a fresh start.

Heh... See, I was looking for the lazy way out. :)

I don't think choice of DI matters so much, nor choice of NMV amp. It's more about the fact that the Q4 difference comes out the most when you're slamming the power amp sim.

Here you go sir - much subtler for this particular amp I guess - using a VIBRATO VERB AB
It seems high gain amps slam the power amp just fine :)

Last edited:
there are 2 major camps when it comes to Firmware updates:

one wants all the latest functions automatically applied. for the most part, these users have gotten this from day 1 of updates for all these years.

the other camp wants to get the latest functions, but simply do not want their current sound/tones altered. until this revision, for the most part they always have had their tones changed (assuming the FW changes the tone). this has been a request from many users for a long, long time.

with this firmware, Cliff offered a way to introduce an update without automatically changing the tones. recently created Presets (since the Modeling Version option reappeared in Global and Amp blocks) will NOT have their tone changed because they will stick to the FW 3.xx option.

this is the first time that anything like this has been implemented. we can all update and our (recent) Presets will sound exactly like they used to, so you can go to your gig with 4.xx and sound like you expect without having to make changes before your gig.

a compromise had to be made to offer this, and that compromise was that, for now, if you want the Latest version of modeling, you have to manually change the Modeling Version in your Amp blocks to "Latest." (again, older presets do already automatically get updated to Latest).

the Firmware is 1 day old. maybe a way to update amps all at once is being developed. maybe not. we don't know.

all we know is that for the first time, this Firmware doesn't automatically change your tones, so after loading it, you at least sound exactly how you did minutes before loading. this is probably a great feature for majority of users.

perhaps we can ask nicely for a way to update our Amps and Presets all at once; maybe we'll get it.

Confirmation!
That's on spot!
You can't please everybody.
100 opinions, 100 different ways of solutions ;-)
I myself also like this kind of solution.
Others don't have to ...

There lately have been a lot of considerations of customer wishes.
I think, there will be more in the future ;-)
That makes the difference between this company and others!

Thanks for the good job, FAS!

Regards
Mike

You can't change the global settings but AxeEdit has the per preset modeling version capability.

I've searched the public version of Axe-Edit and I don't see it. But I'm looking in the Amp Block parameters.

Can you tell me where this setting is? Or is it not yet available to the public?

I've searched the public version of Axe-Edit and I don't see it. But I'm looking in the Amp Block parameters.

Can you tell me where this setting is? Or is it not yet available to the public?

You have to set it on the axe-fx itself.

Edit: NVMD... see below :)

Last edited:

Any ideas???
That happened to me with the beta. I never put into manual update either.

All I did to make it work was hit the recall button on the front panel and tried again with Fractal Bot.

I had a couple problems in the past with the manual update error when updating my firmware and it was always when I was multitaking on my computer. Since then I make sure the only thing I'm doing is updating the Axe and I've never had the issue since.

Here you go sir - much subtler for this particular amp I guess - using a VIBRATO VERB AB
It seems high gain amps slam the power amp just fine :)

I expected the difference to be more pronounced with NMV amps, assuming you had base levels set the same. You must have a good amount of power amp meat on your high-gain tones. The difference audio is still rich in those squish-and-cut frequencies.

Thanks for putting in the extra effort!

Last edited:
Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_Quantum_4p00.zip

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_4p00.zip

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/4.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_4p00.zip

Release notes

Improved power tube plate current vs. grid voltage accuracy. New models more accurately reflect how the response is higher order at lower grid voltages and “relaxes” into a lower order response at higher grid voltages. This improves feel when the virtual power amp is overdriven and improves harmonic content accuracy.

Note that existing presets will NOT be affected. Any existing preset will have its local Modeling Version (under the Adv tab of the Amp block) adjusted to its previous value. To use the new modeling you will need to set the Modeling Version parameter to “Latest”. Any new presets that are created will use the Modeling Version selected in the Global menu. For example, if an existing preset was using Q3.xx modeling it will still use Q3.xx. To use Q4.00 you would need to set the Amp block Modeling Version to “Latest”. If you create a new preset and the Global menu Modeling Version is “Latest” the new preset will use Q4.00 modeling.

Thanks for all your effort FAS team!! :)

Tried to update last night before a rehearsal. Got an error twice. Have the mark ll. Pop up says error in file transmission check the usb connection although there was no issues keeping the axe fx connected via axe edit and changing values or IR's.
Have a gig in the next few days and didnt want to brick my axe fx so stopped at 2 attempts. Restarted the unit, no issues though it works fine but just wont upgrade to quantum 4.
Anyone else having the same problem??

Are some of you guys in like 5 different cover bands at once?

Can't image how the one poster said he would need to go and manually change 512 presents, or even the guy who said he had to change 100 presets....

I have about 5 go to presets, with a few scene variations, and maybe 20-25 total presets covering a wide range of styles total. Not knocking anyone for having more, but just curious as to what the application is for needing 100+ presets
I play in a cover band and have presets that mimic what was originally used(if discoverable) or tweak till it sounds like the original recording. Of course I also bring 3-5 guitars to cover that aspect of the sound.
Some songs have 4 presets, some one, some with multiple scenes. I use as many as 70 presets at a gig and maybe another 30 for songs that get rotated. It would be overkill accept this band's thing is to get as close the the original recording as possible. People do notice but that is the kind of audience we are trying to draw. If a band is going for it's own sound, then you would want fewer but unique sounds for your bands signature sound.

Are some of you guys in like 5 different cover bands at once?

Can't image how the one poster said he would need to go and manually change 512 presents, or even the guy who said he had to change 100 presets....

I have about 5 go to presets, with a few scene variations, and maybe 20-25 total presets covering a wide range of styles total. Not knocking anyone for having more, but just curious as to what the application is for needing 100+ presets

One cover band, over 200 presets on the Ultra. The application is recreating the tone and effects of well-known songs. Some songs use only one preset (any ACDC), others use as many as five to cover different tones (acoustic, clean, light distortion, crunch, solo gain), harmony intervals, special effects (Queen, Boston). I really don't like needing to tweak a preset for a song, knowing it will affect another. The number grows quickly.

Back
Top Bottom