Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 3.03 Firmware Release

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Hetfield's IIC++ is one my Holy Grail amps, and I'm beyond ecstatic to have it in the Axe.

And it delivers in spades. While some of the other Axe models can get close with tweaking (probably the Triaxis Ld 2 Yellow comes closest, more so than the actual IIC+ model), the IIC++ nails my ideal of a Mesa Mark IIC+ high-gain tone, with very few adjustments needed at all.

i have to admit not being a metallica fan, but thanks to mikko for showing us how to nail that tone (always good to have it in the bag, if needed!)

i thought i'd see what it was like when treated like any other MKII, so i dropped it into the Y slot of my mesa lead preset (which has triaxis lead yellow in X). with not very much tweaking, it can actually deliver quite a nice tone with a strat in the in between positions. less mids than a standard MKII, as you'd expect, but this actually works in it's favour. i'll definitely be revisiting this amp and seeing what else it can do

Thank you very much :D

for complete information
AXE-EDIT v.3.7.2
It goes well with FW v.3.03 ?
It would be very welcome
read, even in the release notes (my wishful thinking) :rolleyes:

Guys - does this firmware update change any existing settings? After I updated, it feels like my main preset has a little less thump. Might just be in my mind, but just wondering if I should check anywhere for changes. Thanks.

Guys - does this firmware update change any existing settings? After I updated, it feels like my main preset has a little less thump. Might just be in my mind, but just wondering if I should check anywhere for changes. Thanks.
It does not change any modeling algorithms or parameters. It's all in your head.

It does not change any modeling algorithms or parameters. It's all in your head.
Do you know that for sure? Cliff has only stated that 3 - 3.02 didn't change, explicitly neglecting to state whether 3.03 did or did not have modeling changes - and this in a thread about the Mk IIC++, so 3.03 was obviously out.

Hey guys, I haven't kept up with updates in the last month or so, I'm on Q2.00 right now, but I want to try out this new Mk IIC++.

Were there any modeling changes between Q2.00 and Q3.03?

Really loving the ++. Not just for Metallica. The throw some different eq and cabs at it and it just kills

The Metallica sound you get from this with Mikko's settings are kick ass for sure, but I gotta second your thought too! I tossed the orange 4x12 stock cab on it and it blew my mind. Effin' awesome! Thanks 1000x over for this update Cliff! If nothing else, I get to act like I'm 17 again... now where's my Explorer...

Hey guys, I haven't kept up with updates in the last month or so, I'm on Q2.00 right now, but I want to try out this new Mk IIC++.

Were there any modeling changes between Q2.00 and Q3.03?
Yes!

be sure to back up your presets and stuff.
if you tweaked a lot have your settings described (csv).
best to have a fresh start on many amps, as amp moddeling has changed.
maybe all your tweaks are not needed ;)

I guess it depends …, here’s what I think I see as a common thread when guys struggle with firmware updates ….

If with the previous versions, you “adjusted” some of the advanced parameters to achieve a certain tone. When you update …, if you don’t reset the amp block, some of those “adjustments” might affect the tone under the new modeling algorithms.

For me, the modeling has gotten so good ( ie; accurate ) that I don’t usually need to adjust anything in the advance areas …. That said, I always double check to see what I did ( if anything ) and I make a specific note about it.

That way when I update, I ALWAYS re-set the amp block. Then I go back and re-input my changes whatever they were, so I can decide if the ‘adjustments’ would still be necessary ( or not ) !

I guess it depends …, here’s what I think I see as a common thread when guys struggle with firmware updates ….

If with the previous versions, you “adjusted” some of the advanced parameters to achieve a certain tone. When you update …, if you don’t reset the amp block, some of those “adjustments” might affect the tone under the new modeling algorithms.

For me, the modeling has gotten so good ( ie; accurate ) that I don’t usually need to adjust anything in the advance areas …. That said, I always double check to see what I did ( if anything ) and I make a specific note about it.

That way when I update, I ALWAYS re-set the amp block. Then I go back and re-input my changes whatever they were, so I can decide if the ‘adjustments’ would still be necessary ( or not ) !

That is very helpful thank you.

I ALWAYS re-set the amp block. Then I go back and re-input my changes whatever they were, so I can decide if the ‘adjustments’ would still be necessary ( or not ) !
This is my approach as well. Since the first Quantum update, I've needed only minor adjustments to the tone settings - if any - so I just reset the block as a starting point, and often find the default setting are great.

I'll add this : using FRFR cabinets, and appropriately flat-response amplification is crucial for me. It means that I don't need to accommodate any coloration from the amp or cabinets, and that when I create my tones in the studio, they're going to sound exactly the same onstage and at FOH. I apply very little EQ to my presets in the AxeFX, and most of the time, I wait to make adjustments until blending multiple amps / cabs together late in the signal chain.

I bet James Hetfield PAID Cliff to model his MKII++. He probably wanted to have his old rig in there for a new tour?

That amp is good, seriously!
Even I didn't have a hard time dialing it.
Bass, mid, treble on 1, 6, 7 (a familiar setting for the Mark amps), a 'slightly' smling face on the 5-band, and the ML Diezel More 1 Mix Cab. I seriously liked this tone. Compared this one to the ones that I liked and recorded before... Then I deleted the old ones.. :)

Back
Top Bottom