Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

Just updated to 2.04 from 2.02. There is now lag when changing scenes within my presets, which wasn't there before. I haven't tried rolling back to 2.02 yet. My scene changes are mostly drives on/off, delay x/y, shimmer on/off.

Anyone else experiencing this too?

Edit: Lag occurs when changing scenes with my MFC, which was seamless before. And no, Axe-Edit is not open :)

(Disclaimer - I haven't read through all 11 pages of this thread)

I will risk the obvious cracks I might get for posting this, and I don't think I am posting it where it should be posted, but ... FAS Staff, is there any possibility that a Rockman Sustainor be included as a Pre in a future update? I am a fan of Boston, and haven't been able to tweak any of the amps to sound like the Rockman Sustainor, the closest I've gotten has been utilizing the Brit Pre, but it is pretty hard to get that sort of violinist nasal mid range sound ! Anyway, just a thought, by the way... for the Metal Heads out there, don't forget that Dave Mustaine used it in the Peace Sells record entirely, no to mention Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien LP! Best, Flav!

I will risk the obvious cracks I might get for posting this, and I don't think I am posting it where it should be posted, but ... FAS Staff, is there any possibility that a Rockman Sustainor be included as a Pre in a future update? I am a fan of Boston, and haven't been able to tweak any of the amps to sound like the Rockman Sustainor, the closest I've gotten has been utilizing the Brit Pre, but it is pretty hard to get that sort of violinist nasal mid range sound ! Anyway, just a thought, by the way... for the Metal Heads out there, don't forget that Dave Mustaine used it in the Peace Sells record entirely, no to mention Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien LP! Best, Flav!

It would be interesting to hear feedback on this. I was surprised at how close the Boston sound was approximated by using compression and creating the Boston solo guitar EQ in a graphic or parametric EQ block (which if memory serves is that nasal sounding EQ you refer to), which means the blocks already at our disposal just possibly might work fine. I'm no expert, never really was able to play or sound the way Tom could.

As a side note I didn't know that Peace Sells was done that way. That explains why a lot of the guitars on it sound just like one! Cool info.

Heh, I updated to 2.04 and liked the 2.0 version of the HBE. The upper mids sang a lot better and overall it sounded a bit thicker to me. I'm going to try some other stock IRs to see if I can get back to where it was.

I also switched cabs out. I think I ended up using the factory ML Pre-Rola cabs instead of the Mesa IRs I had been using before. I really really dig those stock cabs #54 and #55

It would be interesting to hear feedback on this. I was surprised at how close the Boston sound was approximated by using compression and creating the Boston solo guitar EQ in a graphic or parametric EQ block (which if memory serves is that nasal sounding EQ you refer to), which means the blocks already at our disposal just possibly might work fine. I'm no expert, never really was able to play or sound the way Tom could.

As a side note I didn't know that Peace Sells was done that way. That explains why a lot of the guitars on it sound just like one! Cool info.
Thanx for your input, Ill try EQuing the hell out of my Rockman preset and yes, compression seems to be the key to the sound! PS If you search you'd be surprised at how many 80's guitar players used the Rockman at some point either recording or live as well. Even Jeff Beck used one at some point! I even saw Ty Taybor had one in his rack, but refused to acknowledge that he was using it! hahaha!

I also switched cabs out. I think I ended up using the factory ML Pre-Rola cabs instead of the Mesa IRs I had been using before. I really really dig those stock cabs #54 and #55
Ha! I was using a Mesa cab before too. I'm going through the Marshall cabs now. I'll be sure I give that one a listen.

The recent FW updates + Yek's amp-of-the-day posts = Very sore fingers, less time for loved ones and for much else, in general. I am totally okay with that.

Ha! I was using a Mesa cab before too. I'm going through the Marshall cabs now. I'll be sure I give that one a listen.
i ended up on 061 — 4x12 FRACTAL V30 AT4047 for now. It's a little boxy sounding and a lot different than what I was using but it's a good start.

Not wanting to de-rail this any further....Check out this thread to see and hear how it is achievable...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bostons-foreplay-longtime-quantum-1-02-tone-test.106886/

Def Leppard used a Rockman to record most of the guitar tracks on the album Hysteria.

MANY years ago, I was in an electronic devices class. The dunce (who had been driving us all nuts) raised his hand during a lecture on transistor gain. He asked "so does the difference in beta between transistors explain why some calculators round differently than others?"

Heh reminds of of a guy in digital logic class when I was in college; the teacher walked us thru a logic circuit chip by chip going thru the states and a student asked "so....does that happen 9 out of 10 times, lets say, or, you know, all the time?" Heh...o_O

Am looking forward to trying 2.04 out tomorrow evening at rehearsal...awesome work FAS.

I'm up at Q2.04 now…. just cut a real peach of a solo in the studio..
Q2.04 is presenting me with a major prob…
I don't know what amps to reamp the solo with and if I should use 2.00, 2.01 or Latest..
because too many sound too good and each one in each fw version has it's own special quality…
jeezus H… this is doing my head in...
Better stay away from buffets, then. Your head will explode. :)

Amps sound fantastic ... played with '59 Bassman , Deluxe Rvb, Triptik, FAS Modern, ... all just great sounding!

BTW - the Sag meter is acting a little odd - is there a place to report these bugs?
Try the Axe-Fx II Bugs forum. ;)

FWIW, the Sag meter is acting fine for me. What's yours doing?

I do this frequently (go back and forth between FW versions) as I still gig with FW17.XX as I have a whackload of finely tuned and deeply edited presets I have no desire to spend the time rebuilding every new FW, but I still want to experience the new FW amps, and new features. The only downside is it takes about 15 minutes to return to the current after a gig.
I get what you're saying. But consider this:

15 minutes to return to the current firmware after a gig (you must be doing backup/restores too, if it's taking that long). Presumably, another 15 to get back to FW17 before a gig. That's half an hour per gig. After twenty gigs, you've invested ten hours. Would it take ten hours to dial in your gigging presets for the new firmware?

I get what you're saying. But consider this:

15 minutes to return to the current firmware after a gig (you must be doing backup/restores too, if it's taking that long). Presumably, another 15 to get back to FW17 before a gig. That's half an hour per gig. After twenty gigs, you've invested ten hours. Would it take ten hours to dial in your gigging presets for the new firmware?

I've actually not invested any time though. using fractal bot and a couple mouse clicks....... if you want to be technical, takes like 10 seconds for each operation...

I understand your train of thought and the point you are making, however it's not feasible for me to re-do a couple hundred presets every other month when there is no improvement to be made, as the presets are already exactly where I need em to be.

I can't upgrade, I get a transfer error every time. Tried 6 times. I've had one transfer error before once, don't remember which firmware, but this is just not working

Hi,

Ok I have updated my axe and MFC again to latest Fw, and my XL is still freezing requiring a power reset. I am not using axe edit at the same time now.
I am not sure what to do anyone got some suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom