Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

i don't think he'll lose his shit, but it probably is very frustrating.

people want new firmware. it arrives. people don't like something about it. it gets changed. different people don't like the change the first people wanted. more changes, more groups of people who do and don't like things. options are given. people don't like that they have to use the options now to set things (too many steps). options are eventually taken away and decisions are made, left that way for a while, and everyone generally agrees everything is fine. repeat :)

i still think - personally IMHO AFAIK YMMV WTFLOLBBQ - that the differences between 2.00 2.01 and 2.02 were blown a little out of proportion. now that we have the option to choose among those versions with a simple value change, people are doing XY and recording and comparing and theorizing... of COURSE you're going to find a difference doing that. you won't stop until you do. now marshalls MUST be set to 2.01, and fenders MUST be on 2.00, and high gain MUST be set to 2.02... only because a few people said it on the internet ;)

we have a bunch of options with the Axe. it's always been like this. my suggestion for the majority is to set everything to Latest and just play. chances are it will sound amazing, no time wasted comparing small differences.

i can't comment on why some presets are loading with 2.01 and others with Latest, etc. but perhaps we just need to buck up a bit and change our amps to what we prefer. some use 1 preset, others use hundreds. well, that's just how it is for now.

or as always, we can wait till the dust settles a bit. i know some are rolling back to 2.02 using the backups they made before upgrading FW. and that's ok too! everyone's situation is different. thank you for the reports as this firmware is released; it only helps make things better in the future. but please be sure to use your own ears and thoughts to judge things.

i had an email come in today. someone asked me how to downgrade to 2.02. i asked why he wanted to do that. he said he updated to 2.04 but read on the forum that 2.04 doesn't sound good. i asked him.... did he listen to 2.04 yet.

he said no.

i asked him to just play real quick, how does it sound. he said it sounds good and sees no reason to go back to 2.02 :)

I worked for years at costumer support for a large mobile phone company and I can tell you: this nonconformity is inherent to human nature!
Agree that sometimes can be frustrating, when you arrive to your house exhausted with your head full of complaints...but you only see the top of the iceberg: there's a silent majority that is plain happy with the upgrades.
Don't get me wrong, complaints are valuable: it helps to detect errors, fix bugs and improve...but speaking of this particular case I think is time to draw a line now that we got 3 modelling options...well is another parameter to tweak, if you don't like the defaults change it! Don't look at what someone writes as absolute truth, tweak, find your own voice!

You nailed it: we have a bunch of options with the Axe, this prevails above any small discomforts...and don't forget the main card: the TONE!

My tight schedule don't allow me to follow all the upgrades, I'm in Q2.00 still, I have in my pendrive FW Q2.04 and axe edit 3.6.1 prepared for an empty afternoon...
Some days I only want to play guitar, some are "let's tweak cabs" days, other "let's try new presets" days, or "let's hear this fish preamp" days...when I have a big time hole I update my machine with the latest firmware and to this date all are great experiences. Now I will add a new category: "let's try modelling options" days.

Great days for play guitar

Last edited:
i don't think he'll lose his shit, but it probably is very frustrating.

people want new firmware. it arrives. people don't like something about it. it gets changed. different people don't like the change the first people wanted. more changes, more groups of people who do and don't like things. options are given. people don't like that they have to use the options now to set things (too many steps). options are eventually taken away and decisions are made, left that way for a while, and everyone generally agrees everything is fine. repeat :)

i still think - personally IMHO AFAIK YMMV WTFLOLBBQ - that the differences between 2.00 2.01 and 2.02 were blown a little out of proportion. now that we have the option to choose among those versions with a simple value change, people are doing XY and recording and comparing and theorizing... of COURSE you're going to find a difference doing that. you won't stop until you do. now marshalls MUST be set to 2.01, and fenders MUST be on 2.00, and high gain MUST be set to 2.02... only because a few people said it on the internet ;)

we have a bunch of options with the Axe. it's always been like this. my suggestion for the majority is to set everything to Latest and just play. chances are it will sound amazing, no time wasted comparing small differences.

i can't comment on why some presets are loading with 2.01 and others with Latest, etc. but perhaps we just need to buck up a bit and change our amps to what we prefer. some use 1 preset, others use hundreds. well, that's just how it is for now.

or as always, we can wait till the dust settles a bit. i know some are rolling back to 2.02 using the backups they made before upgrading FW. and that's ok too! everyone's situation is different. thank you for the reports as this firmware is released; it only helps make things better in the future. but please be sure to use your own ears and thoughts to judge things.

i had an email come in today. someone asked me how to downgrade to 2.02. i asked why he wanted to do that. he said he updated to 2.04 but read on the forum that 2.04 doesn't sound good. i asked him.... did he listen to 2.04 yet.

he said no.

i asked him to just play real quick, how does it sound. he said it sounds good and sees no reason to go back to 2.02 :)

For all non axe users and on old versions:

Axe fx quantum 2.04 is great piece of software with even more options and fixes.
And you can choose on global level and on amp level which version YOU like.
Also you can directly go to Quantum 2.04 directly, no need to go incremental.
Just remember to update axe edit & do a refresh after firmware in axe edit.

now just use your ears and tweak the presets!
as all changes have impact on your amps and therefor your sound/tone/presets etc!
maybe even better: just reset your ampblock and have another go with the amp.
as i found that doing that makes me use less things and more the amp sound itselve

so 2.04 is GREAT and very versatile!
but yes, it needs some work to have even better sounds/tones

Ok let me just say i am not complaining just letting you know that im getting the time out preset recall error in axe edit, every time I move from one preset to the other. Its seems to be pretty much every preset.

I am up to date with MFC, Axe and Edit so not sure what I can do.

Any advice would be helpful thank you.

Ok let me just say i am not complaining just letting you know that im getting the time out preset recall error in axe edit, every time I move from one preset to the other. Its seems to be pretty much every preset.

As I recall and also stated in threads: this is in progress and if need will be fixed ;)
My message was not to you, but since 2.01 beta there has been sooo many discussions
And just as rookie and new at AXE wanted to let others know that Q2.04 is GOOD stuff
(but as modelling on amp level changed has some finetuning! but same is for 2.01, 2.02, 2.03 in some way)

Would you please share your MFC firmware version? Thanks!

There are a few of us with this issue.

And, other than the MCF comms issue, the amps sound so incredibly good. Was playing Friedman HBE last night because of the comments here - it is great! As are many others.

Strange I got a weird issue. Last night I selected a patch on my liquid foot and I heard a snapping sound. Then the axe was lit up like a Christmas tree. I rebooted fearing the worst and it booted back up, but I could not change patches. Reboot again, cant change patches. Unplugged LF, still cant change patches, turning the wheel had no effect either did the keys. Unplugged the USB from pc, and could then change patches.

Strange I got a weird issue. Last night I selected a patch on my liquid foot and I heard a snapping sound. Then the axe was lit up like a Christmas tree. I rebooted fearing the worst and it booted back up, but I could not change patches. Reboot again, cant change patches. Unplugged LF, still cant change patches, turning the wheel had no effect either did the keys. Unplugged the USB from pc, and could then change patches.

Did you have Axe-edit opened, but not paused? You want to have it paused when sending commands via midi.

me too dont know how to pause it

Upper corner of Axe Edit? The 'Pause' button like on a CD player.

And I've run into the 'Timeout' issue several times after a FW upgrade. As well as lost connection to external pedals for VOL and WAH. I've done a reset of my MFC, and it's fixed it each time (no, I don't know why this is, but it's worked.)

<snip>

And I've run into the 'Timeout' issue several times after a FW upgrade. As well as lost connection to external pedals for VOL and WAH. I've done a reset of my MFC, and it's fixed it each time (no, I don't know why this is, but it's worked.)

Do you lose any set-up data in a reset? I have two exp pedals in #1 and #2. I was considering doing this but don't fully appreciate the consequences. Would I have to reprogram?

(Someone else did the initial set up for me (the vendor whom I purchased it from did the original config).)

Do you lose any set-up data in a reset? I have two exp pedals in #1 and #2. I was considering doing this but don't fully appreciate the consequences. Would I have to reprogram?

(Someone else did the initial set up for me (the vendor whom I purchased it from did the original config).)
I think if you do a backup first, then reset, then reload the backup. I've done it before and worked fine.(when you reload, power it off then back on and your old settings should be there) Should backup every time changes are made in the MFC & the Ax Fx in case of just such an emergency!

I just spent the last 2 hours tweaking and playing one preset - those HBEs are insanely good using the "latest" modeling!
Heh, I updated to 2.04 and liked the 2.0 version of the HBE. The upper mids sang a lot better and overall it sounded a bit thicker to me. I'm going to try some other stock IRs to see if I can get back to where it was.

Heh, I updated to 2.04 and liked the 2.0 version of the HBE. The upper mids sang a lot better and overall it sounded a bit thicker to me. I'm going to try some other stock IRs to see if I can get back to where it was.
umm, then flip the switch back to 2.0

umm, then flip the switch back to 2.0
Yeah, I'll do that if I have to but as I said I'll see what I can do with what I have. It's not like I have gigs or recording to do. :) Need some time to wrap my head around the global firmware settings for amp models too.

Back
Top Bottom