Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

Ok-I know but I just don't remember. Maybe due to upgrading fw so much - which never ever bothered me and still doesn't-I always upgrade and adjust. But i don't play out anymore either so it's easier for me. Studio only.

Do i need to install 203 and then 204 or just go to 204. I am at 202 xl+? Just don't recall-Thanks

The "Default" modeling version is set to "Q2.01", not to "latest"... Lots of presets to change, it´s gonna be a long night.o_O
Are you checking the modeling version on the front panel? Until it's updated, Axe edit may not show the correct version, if it shows it at all.

For me:

2.00 for Brit 800
2.01 for clean tones and middle gain
2.02 for high gain

:)

Interesting. I'll try this.

So far, actually my best vibrato verb preset ever (in the clean/mid area), which does an amazing job with sort of Eric Johnsonny flurries, is in the 2.01 category. In contrast I did run into some trouble dialing in some Boogie stuff in 2.01...

Truthfully, I still haven't thoroughly explored the hi gain side to comment, but what if this is just the result of how the preset was dialed in? I.e., maybe I just got very lucky because all the Q2 stuff rocks?

Time to switch to a stack of Raspberry pi3's...or as my daughter calls it, referring to Kodi on the pi...

"dad, how do you switch that rhubarb pi thingy on?"

I've started collecting parts to make a Raspberry Pi based midi foot controller for my AxeFX.

Didn't the edit light come on on the front panel when we changed parameters before?

EDIT (LOL) even though I had exited Axe Edit, apparently there was some sort of "lag" where I had to exit a preset and go back into it before the edit light function happened again. Related to Axe Edit no doubt, and not to this update. I had initially gone to check and make edits on the amp "version" param, which didn't light up the edit light, hence my concern. I then did the same with the choice of drive pedal. I then realized I was in Axe Edit. I exited out of Axe Edit and tried again, still no edit light. Then I changed presets, and went back into the original preset; that worked.

Sorry. Just disregard.

Last edited:
Are you checking the modeling version on the front panel? Until it's updated, Axe edit may not show the correct version, if it shows it at all.

I´ve been using only front panel (as you´ve guessed, Axe-Edit doesn´t show it)

Thanks for the help anyway.

I've started collecting parts to make a Raspberry Pi based midi foot controller for my AxeFX.

That would be a great little project. Check out the new pi3, it has built-in Bluetooth now. Maybe you can use Bluetooth to make a wireless controller.

I'm using a pi2 to build a whole house home automation system. Very powerful little computer. I've also done work with Microchip's PIC. It's amazing how powerful computers have become since I started programming in assembly on Motorola microprocessors 30 years ago. :)

For me:

2.00 for Brit 800
2.01 for clean tones and middle gain
2.02 for high gain

By the time I come even close to figuring out what modeling I like for all my respective amps Cliff surely will have had some epiphany and we will have 2.1 modeling which blows everything prior away (save for maybe what a few people think, as usual lol)

The "Default" modeling version is set to "Q2.01", not to "latest"... Lots of presets to change, it´s gonna be a long night.o_O
This post has me confused. Do you guys mean, by the "default", the version in the Global Menu? When I installed, mine was set to "Latest"... Of course, the amp blocks all reflect where they were last edited. For example, I used a preset in 2.02 that I hadn't edited since 2.01, so when I enter this preset the amp block shows this 2.01 version (you could say the blocks "default to the last used algo.")

But this situation is like before, when we needed to reset the amp block after an update. And I presume its necessary to allow Cliff to function, lol.

I usually wait until I need to edit a preset before I go to the step of updating a preset;

that's just what works for me.

So ..... when I go directly from 2.02 to 2.04

-> will it automatically upgrade the modelling engine for all my exisiting presets to 2.04 (?)

or if not

-> is there a way / menu to do this for all my and factory amps so I dont have to do it manually for each amp/preset (?)

Ben

That would be a great little project. Check out the new pi3, it has built-in Bluetooth now. Maybe you can use Bluetooth to make a wireless controller.

I'm using a pi2 to build a whole house home automation system. Very powerful little computer. I've also done work with Microchip's PIC. It's amazing how powerful computers have become since I started programming in assembly on Motorola microprocessors 30 years ago. :)

My idea is to have 12 footswitches the function of each one defined purely in context. Any switch can potentially do anything, including redefining what any of the other switches do. As a "for instance", imagine that define a button to put the unit into "pick a key mode". When you step on it, all 12 buttons change over to a single key, from A to G#. Then, when you step on one of them, it picks the key and all of the buttons go back to the way they were set before "pick a key mode" was engaged.

Of course, to do that you need to have a separate LCD display for each button so that you can show the user what the buttons currently do. It turns out that you can buy 16x2 LCD displays for about $2.00, and then another $1.50 will get an adapter board to put it on an I2C bus. I was also going to put on a couple of rotary encoders that would need LCD displays as well, and then a master display to show general info. So that's 16 displays in total. Most of the I2C adapter boards only come with 3 bits of address jumpers, so that means I'm going to need to use a I2C multiplexer to run two display buses. Which gets a little challenging.

Then I decided that each switch needed to have an RGB LED associated with it. I don't know why, it just seemed like a good idea. This turns out to be the most complicated part of the whole project. There are RGB LED's with built in microprocessors, but the timing requirements exceed what the Pi can do reliably. So I've picked up an Arduino board for that, and I'll probably connect it to the Pi through USB, which should make it easier to reprogram on the fly too.

I figure I'll stick a WiFi dongle on the Pi, then I can program it from anywhere.

The only things that have me worried are the boot time of the Pi, and the strength of the enclosure. Hammond make a 20" wide slope-top enclosure that looks about right, but I'm worried that once it has 16 LCD screen sized holes carved in it the structural integrity will be compromised. I guess I won't know until I try it.

I'm up at Q2.04 now…. just cut a real peach of a solo in the studio..
Q2.04 is presenting me with a major prob…
I don't know what amps to reamp the solo with and if I should use 2.00, 2.01 or Latest..
because too many sound too good and each one in each fw version has it's own special quality…
jeezus H… this is doing my head in...

Amps sound fantastic ... played with '59 Bassman , Deluxe Rvb, Triptik, FAS Modern, ... all just great sounding!

BTW - the Sag meter is acting a little odd - is there a place to report these bugs?

Back
Top Bottom