Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

Thanks Chris. I'm not sure why they moved it to the MFC bugs area. It seems it's directly related to the Axe firmware.
it may be related to Axe FW, but it only happens when an MFC is involved ;) Cliff knows about it from this thread, you're talking to Matt, i linked to the MFC Bugs sub-forum thread, it's marked as a bug... it won't be overlooked, don't worry.

curious: do you have TOTALSYNC set ON in the MFC? what happens if you turn it off?

I have had the same issue. I think what is going on is this. When scrolling through the presets using your foot down on the mfc the axe loads the respective presets one after the other. If one of these preset is very complex with many blocks in it and the processor utilisation is very high, say over 90%, then it takes the axe a while to load the preset. However, in the meantime the next preset calling is sent by the mfc and that confuses the axe and crashes it.
If you select one preset after the next the time between the messages sent by the mfc is probably long enough for the axe to fully load the preset before the next preset is called by the mfc and therefore everything is fine.

I know what you are saying but I have had the same basic presets for several years without this issue both pre & post Quantum. It is only Q2.01, the first Q2.02 beta & now Q2.04 that cause the issue. It maybe cpu usage has increased in this version for some reason but the amp, cab & effects in all my presets has not changed in ages. Only minor tweaking here & there.

it may be related to Axe FW, but it only happens when an MFC is involved ;) Cliff knows about it from this thread, you're talking to Matt, i linked to the MFC Bugs sub-forum thread, it's marked as a bug... it won't be overlooked, don't worry.

curious: do you have TOTALSYNC set ON in the MFC? what happens if you turn it off?

I know Cliff & Matt are aware. I just felt more people with the same problem would see it here. No biggie. I'm not at home so I can't check the MFC settings right now but will when I get home.

I know what you are saying but I have had the same basic presets for several years without this issue both pre & post Quantum. It is only Q2.01, the first Q2.02 beta & now Q2.04 that cause the issue. It maybe cpu usage has increased in this version for some reason but the amp, cab & effects in all my presets has not changed in ages. Only minor tweaking here & there.
from a troubleshooting standpoint, don't let "but this worked before" thoughts prevent you from testing something. at the moment something changes, almost everything is "fair game" as being the reason. i too think it may be some CPU/Loading issue as guitardoc suggested, but i don't have an MFC anymore and can't test.

I know Cliff & Matt are aware. I just felt more people with the same problem would see it here. No biggie. I'm not at home so I can't check the MFC settings right now but will when I get home.

regardless of more people seeing the thread now in the Axe Discussion forum, no one will see it in the future if they are seeking out an MFC Timeout issue thread in the proper place, the MFC Bugs sub-forum. Bugs go in bug sub-forums. i feel if it requires the MFC to exhibit the bug, it is an MFC issue.

please do let me/us know if turning off TotalSync solves it, whenever you can. no rush. the forum will still be here :)

from a troubleshooting standpoint, don't let "but this worked before" thoughts prevent you from testing something. at the moment something changes, almost everything is "fair game" as being the reason. i too think it may be some CPU/Loading issue as guitardoc suggested, but i don't have an MFC anymore and can't test.

regardless of more people seeing the thread now in the Axe Discussion forum, no one will see it in the future if they are seeking out an MFC Timeout issue thread in the proper place, the MFC Bugs sub-forum. Bugs go in bug sub-forums. i feel if it requires the MFC to exhibit the bug, it is an MFC issue.

please do let me/us know if turning off TotalSync solves it, whenever you can. no rush. the forum will still be here :)

Yes, I will do what I can to troubleshoot it. It has come & gone & come back again so hopefully Cliff can see what has changed in the firmware builds that might be causing the issue.

Name timeout issue on the MFC Q2.04

Can't play due to AX FX NAME TIMEOUT error on the MFC - realize this posted in the other section and above, so if you wish to move it please do.

Was moving from FAS Modern ot ODS100 - 2 clicks to the right, not scrolling.

Rebooted and it happened again immediately on same patches - will try a different set. :confused:

UPDATE: Worked for 3 preset changes (59 bassman, Deluxe Rvb, Dual Verb?), then went to scroll (down) stuck on BYPASS next set down. MFC won't work.I can scroll the Value knob on AXE FXII+ to go to any patch, but MFC not working (stuck - lights on).

Last edited:
What version firmware are you running on your MFC?
Name timeout issue on the MFC Q2.04

Can't play due to AX FX NAME TIMEOUT error on the MFC - realize this posted in the other section and above, so if you wish to move it please do.

Was moving from FAS Modern ot ODS100 - 2 clicks to the right, not scrolling.

Rebooted and it happened again immediately on same patches - will try a different set. :confused:

UPDATE: Worked for 3 preset changes (59 bassman, Deluxe Rvb, Dual Verb?), then went to scroll (down) stuck on BYPASS next set down. MFC won't work.I can scroll the Value knob on AXE FXII+ to go to any patch, but MFC not working (stuck - lights on).

What version firmware are you running on your MFC?

now it's working as typical/normal ...haven't gone near the offending presets, but have been through several amps/presets and it's functioning.

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the modeling version of the amp within Axe Edit? If not, it would be great to have it as well as start implementing other advanced parameters and I/O settings on it... I would even paid for a version that could do all of what the unit does without actually touching the unit.

Edit> Found it xD

Last edited:
Mine were also set to 2.01 but no biggie, just gotta go in, change it to "Latest" and save. Hah hah, I still cant tell the difference between the different versions, guess my ears are too shot from all the loud concerts over the years.
Some are subtle and some don't really seem to change but others really change in tone and crunch it seems. Depends on the amp from what I have experienced.

i don't think he'll lose his shit, but it probably is very frustrating.

people want new firmware. it arrives. people don't like something about it. it gets changed. different people don't like the change the first people wanted. more changes, more groups of people who do and don't like things. options are given. people don't like that they have to use the options now to set things (too many steps). options are eventually taken away and decisions are made, left that way for a while, and everyone generally agrees everything is fine. repeat :)

i still think - personally IMHO AFAIK YMMV WTFLOLBBQ - that the differences between 2.00 2.01 and 2.02 were blown a little out of proportion. now that we have the option to choose among those versions with a simple value change, people are doing XY and recording and comparing and theorizing... of COURSE you're going to find a difference doing that. you won't stop until you do. now marshalls MUST be set to 2.01, and fenders MUST be on 2.00, and high gain MUST be set to 2.02... only because a few people said it on the internet ;)

we have a bunch of options with the Axe. it's always been like this. my suggestion for the majority is to set everything to Latest and just play. chances are it will sound amazing, no time wasted comparing small differences.

i can't comment on why some presets are loading with 2.01 and others with Latest, etc. but perhaps we just need to buck up a bit and change our amps to what we prefer. some use 1 preset, others use hundreds. well, that's just how it is for now.

or as always, we can wait till the dust settles a bit. i know some are rolling back to 2.02 using the backups they made before upgrading FW. and that's ok too! everyone's situation is different. thank you for the reports as this firmware is released; it only helps make things better in the future. but please be sure to use your own ears and thoughts to judge things.

i had an email come in today. someone asked me how to downgrade to 2.02. i asked why he wanted to do that. he said he updated to 2.04 but read on the forum that 2.04 doesn't sound good. i asked him.... did he listen to 2.04 yet.

he said no.

i asked him to just play real quick, how does it sound. he said it sounds good and sees no reason to go back to 2.02 :)
well said Chris. a few were crying for different versions and now it seems most want the "latest" anyway, ugh. thank you cliff & company, hopefully we'll all be back on the same fw... soon

I just spent the last 2 hours tweaking and playing one preset - those HBEs are insanely good using the "latest" modeling! Having a blast playing through the entire VH F.U.C.K. album right now with this!!! I can't get over how good this is. Seriously.

Oh, and FWIW no issues here with the whole MFC timeout thing. MKI Axe and MFC.

Back
Top Bottom