Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Mostly level. Sometimes tonestack EQ tweaks but it's more "the feel of the moment" adjustments which I've could have done on the previous firmware too. Some days you want more treble, some days less, it depends a lot on what preset you played before as the ears are always adapting. If I noodle on a bright preset for a long time then go to my main lead, the later may suddenly sound too dark to me, and vice-versa. I'm mostly intuitive with patch programming.

Amazing how we perceive things can change on a dime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue with the last 19 beta and it continued with 20 beta, seems better after quantum though? Mark 1 also

Thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'll just try to reload the firmware and see if that fixes the issue. Had to do it a couple times in the past, so I'll give it another go. Thanks!

had my first gigs with it Saturday night, played 7-10 at a venue here in Nashville then moved ten minutes away and played 11-2:30. I can't say my back, shoulder or fingers were in great shape after 8 hours of playing, but nothing but positive vibes from Quantum. Definitely felt more alive and in the room, used Dephase at 5 on all cabs. Also felt more immediate, connected. Not going to pretend it was night and day for me since I thought the Axe sounded pretty flipping fantastic before, but I could hear and FEEL and difference.

Recorded samples do no justice for Quantum, the listener doesn't know what you've wanted to achieve. To play with Quantum is another story, even with high-gain tones.

Oooofff, yes this FW is booming, nothing new from my side for the sound : dynamics are terrific, especially when playing with the fingers. Another leap forward for FAS.
I personnally experience one minus point, which is that 2 of my favorite preset configs using 2 amps, 2 UR cabs and some effet blocks + looper will push the CPU immediately to overload. Getting back to normal res on one of the two cabs will cut out for "nobody's wife" patch but won't solve the issue for "Jesus - Phill collins" patch.

Any suggestions to solve this, while keeping all this under one single patch would be welcome (so not splitting to two patches which would create a spillover pb) ? Maybe a lighter reverb ?

Attachments

• Nobody`s Wife UR.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Jesus he knows me.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Any suggestions to solve this, while keeping all this under one single patch would be welcome (so not splitting to two patches which would create a spillover pb) ? Maybe a lighter reverb ?

Haven't looked at the patches, but my quick fixes to get CPU use under control:

• Set reverbs to Normal quality
  • Dial back the tails on the reverbs -- going to 2 or 3 drops a significant amount of CPU
  • Turn off preamp use in the CAB block(s)
  • Drop back some of the dynamic parameter use in the AMP block (dynamic presence, dynamic depth) to zero if you can stomach it

Hope that helps!

My first observation with Quantum is: the amp sim is great and alive, but a drive block before the amp seems to kill that (even the old 808 with drive at near zero).
Will investigate deeper...

Recorded samples do no justice for Quantum, the listener doesn't know what you've wanted to achieve. To play with Quantum is another story, even with high-gain tones.

+1 Exactly, I thought well the recordings do sound nice, but when I did the upgrade, I was like HOLY FAWK me batman:)

this is by far the most accurate sounding update ever! Man, the Marshall amps were great to, Fenders were spot on - now it's a pure joy to play the axefx.

The unit has been a pure joy to play for years. I honestly haven't heard or felt anything earth shattering in terms of change of tone or feel for the better for a half dozen major revisions now. But if this makes it even "more realer" then I guess I'm in.

Haven't looked at the patches, but my quick fixes to get CPU use under control:

• Set reverbs to Normal quality
  • Dial back the tails on the reverbs -- going to 2 or 3 drops a significant amount of CPU
  • Turn off preamp use in the CAB block(s)
  • Drop back some of the dynamic parameter use in the AMP block (dynamic presence, dynamic depth) to zero if you can stomach it

Hope that helps!
and check if a reorder in the grid can reduce the shunt number

My first observation with Quantum is: the amp sim is great and alive, but a drive block before the amp seems to kill that (even the old 808 with drive at near zero).
Will investigate deeper...

I'm definitely interested in your findings. I use a drive pedal with a lot of my presets and when I first downloaded the Quantum firmware, something seemed off. Trying to pin down what it was exactly that sounded off. Could have just been a bad download but willing to investigate all leads. Sounds like NCIS Fractal Division. :)

QUANTUM GAS DANGER ALERT:

QUANTUM GAS DANGER ALERT: :devilish:

Pickups!!! At its current state, the Axe-FX exposes so much the different nuances when using different pickups that it can raise a very dangerous GAS for pickups. I am already feeling the urge to try different pickups just for the sake of fun! :lol

Of course, that is not a disadvantage but, on the contrary, it is one of the reasons why the Axe-FX is better than a conventional amplifier; because you can tweak the signal in order to match any pickup with any amplifier. With a real amplifier you are limited, in certain way, to the pickups that match with your amplifier's input.

Idea for Cliff: develop a pickup/guitar modeler; like the one at the Roland VG99 but with Fractal Audio quality. Can you imagine? Swapping all kind of custom pickups and guitars with the same facility that we are currently swapping cabs with syx files :love-struck:

Pickups!!! At its current state, the Axe-FX exposes so much the different nuances when using different pickups that it can raise a very dangerous GAS for pickups. I am already feeling the urge to try different pickups just for the sake of fun! :lol

Of course, that is not a disadvantage but, on the contrary, it is one of the reasons why the Axe-FX is better than a conventional amplifier; because you can tweak the signal in order to match any pickup with any amplifier. With a real amplifier you are limited, in certain way, to the pickups that match with your amplifier's input.

Idea for Cliff: develop a pickup/guitar modeler; like the one at the Roland VG99 but with Fractal Audio quality. Can you imagine? Swapping all kind of custom pickups and guitars with the same facility that we are currently swapping cabs with syx files :love-struck:

I can definitely vouch for the pick up nuances now especially with quantum. All my duncans sound significantly different on my existing presets.. some better and some worse without tweaking. I ran alnico 2 magnets tonight and it was super boomy. SD Custom with an alnico 5 magnet did not give me this effect on the same cab amp combos. It just means there is more tone to explore and that is a very good thing. :D

fbd.jpg

FW 20 we hardly knew ya.

Last edited:
Oooofff, yes this FW is booming, nothing new from my side for the sound : dynamics are terrific, especially when playing with the fingers. Another leap forward for FAS.
I personnally experience one minus point, which is that 2 of my favorite preset configs using 2 amps, 2 UR cabs and some effet blocks + looper will push the CPU immediately to overload. Getting back to normal res on one of the two cabs will cut out for "nobody's wife" patch but won't solve the issue for "Jesus - Phill collins" patch.

Spring Reverb is your friend in this case. I have converted a couple of my 'over ambitious' patches to Spring Reverb and it saved me about 10% of CPU usage which is ample.
:)

okey, had some more time to try out the other amps.....I pleased to say, this is by far the most accurate sounding update ever! Man, the Marshall amps were great to, Fenders were spot on - now it's a pure joy to play the axefx. I had serious thoughts to sell the unit because I rarely used the machine for the last months, but this......wow! Normally I'm not into big long words about awesomness etc. but this here........AWESOME!!! :ugeek

so I apologize to Cliff and FAS for giving them so tough times since Fw17.....even if I still think my words were not so hot as they got eaten in the past. Anyway, this here is for public - another goes out directly to the HQ in a few days....

Cheers
Paco
what would you have bought/used instead of the axe fx if the quantum fw hadn't come to the rescue?

Now this is a good Idea!! or a FractAx Guitar that really nails the models !!

had my first gigs with it Saturday night, played 7-10 at a venue here in Nashville then moved ten minutes away and played 11-2:30. I can't say my back, shoulder or fingers were in great shape after 8 hours of playing, but nothing but positive vibes from Quantum. Definitely felt more alive and in the room, used Dephase at 5 on all cabs. Also felt more immediate, connected. Not going to pretend it was night and day for me since I thought the Axe sounded pretty flipping fantastic before, but I could hear and FEEL and difference.

I had the same experience Saturday. Nothing but rave reviews (even from my wife - LOL) for the Quantum Tone ... and my back is still out! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom